Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
wilderness

There was an article on Sam and his meeting with Roger in the Aug 1977 USTA Hoof Beats.

The following excerpt from that article:

The pen pals met for the first time a few minutes before post time in the infield at Delaware before the 1975 "Jug." And after Huston left Pompano Park to take The Meadows' job in early 1976, Sam spent five days in the Huston household the following July.

Sam called the qualifiers at The Meadows during that stay to prep for the autumn activity. During that stay he also learned how to memorize a field of horses' names in 30 seconds, and gained tips on how to get the best performance out of a P. A. system.

He was ready for the September Ohio-Pa. event. And with that credit in his back pocket, it was on to Delaware.

"When the 'Jug' people heard that I had arranged for Sam to call the night racing at Ashland Fair the week of Delaware, they asked me if he could handle a race on Wednesday afternoon - the day of the 'Juggette,"' Huston recalled.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
Zippy Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness
There was an article on Sam and his meeting with Roger in the Aug 1977 USTA Hoof Beats.

The following excerpt from that article:

The pen pals met for the first time a few minutes before post time in the infield at Delaware before the 1975 "Jug." And after Huston left Pompano Park to take The Meadows' job in early 1976, Sam spent five days in the Huston household the following July.

Sam called the qualifiers at The Meadows during that stay to prep for the autumn activity. During that stay he also learned how to memorize a field of horses' names in 30 seconds, and gained tips on how to get the best performance out of a P. A. system.

He was ready for the September Ohio-Pa. event. And with that credit in his back pocket, it was on to Delaware.

"When the 'Jug' people heard that I had arranged for Sam to call the night racing at Ashland Fair the week of Delaware, they asked me if he could handle a race on Wednesday afternoon - the day of the 'Juggette,"' Huston recalled.
GOOD STUFF
Zippy Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Hey Zippy...thanks for sharing...cool video, great race caller and no doubt you & your lady friend had a fantastic night!!

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
boomman

Zippy: I can certainly relate to wanting to become a race caller, as I had that desire shortly after I was introduced to the sport at Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack in Omaha, Nebraska in the late 1970's. I started calling races into a tape recorder on the roof at Turf Paradise in the early 1980's and the late Bob Weems of Turf Paradise, Monmouth Park and Atlantic City Racecourse became a mentor to me, even encouraging me to "stay after" the guys on The Arizona Fair circuit until I finally got my shot. The rest as they say "Is history"

Although I haven't met Sam, I'm sure many race callers today have a similar story, as I certainly know a few that do............

Boomer
Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
Tape Reader

Great call!

I can't say it enough, these Guys are really talented.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply