Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Zippy Chippy

Sam McKee race call (video) Amazing

So my road trip to the big M was a success. I absolutely loved it. Sam McKee even invited my girlfriend and I to watch him call 2 races. Definitely a thrill for me. What a great race caller, and an even better guy. Down to earth, nice, talented guy. The most amazing thing about him calling the races is that he memorizes the horses in the race. Never does he look down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10kDcC0DvMc
Zippy Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy
So my road trip to the big M was a success. I absolutely loved it. Sam McKee even invited my girlfriend and I to watch him call 2 races. Definitely a thrill for me. What a great race caller, and an even better guy. Down to earth, nice, talented guy. The most amazing thing about him calling the races is that he memorizes the horses in the race. Never does he look down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10kDcC0DvMc
Neat video Zip.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

That was a very cool video...thanks for putting up the link to that...I'm not a big harness guy by any means, but I've heard enough of his calls to realize that I take his skill and professionalism as a race caller very much for granted, as I never think of him when I think of the very best going today.

Watching that video, I realize this even more, and I will correct this error of mine from here on out...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
melman

Zippy---I also thank you for posting that video. Sam the Man does a great job night in and night out. Zippy see if you can contact Larry Lederman at Freehold Raceway. He may try and outdo Sam. Those two are my favorite harness race callers.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Zippy Chippy

Another one. This one guest stars Zippy Chippy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RDx_-dEGw
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
LottaKash

Hey Zippy, nice videos, thx for sharing them....I am glad that you had a good nite out with SM....

Up until back around 1990 or so I think, Tom Durkin did the calls at M1, and I was highly disappointed at first when he left....He took his famous "and down the stretch they come" with him to do the calls at NYRA....It didn't take long tho, to forget about TD, as SM was a most befitting replacement, as it turns out...I love his calls, and just as much as when he journeys to the Big "Grand-Circuit" races at other historic tracks, in late Summer and early Fall, that feature The Best young Stakes horses in action...

A bit jealous of you last nite, as the Big-M was my home track since it opened, and for many, many years after...

best,
Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Zippy Chippy

Ya the Big M is great. I will be back there soon!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

"down the stretch they come" is Dave Johnson's signature...I believe you are confusing him with TD.

Both Dave and Tom called for the Meadowlands....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

And Tom Durkin is no Dave Johnson.....thank God.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
"down the stretch they come" is Dave Johnson's signature...I believe you are confusing him with TD.

Both Dave and Tom called for the Meadowlands....
Quite right old Chap....I was thinking something about NYRA at the time, thus the "gaffe"......I knew that I had part of it right in any event...And, at my age that is a victory in and of itself....

Still, Tom Durkin did give great calls at M1...

Also, often when I am busy doing other things, such as "March Madness", I will often turn the tv sound off and continue to watch the game, and listen only to the unfolding of the race at M1, as called by Sam, and I get quite an accurate picure of the race in my mind, following his informative and lively calls..

dazed and confused in FLA...
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
boomman

Nice video Zippy! Sam McKee is an excellent race caller, and it was great of him to do this for you. I strongly believe that those of that work in the business can't do enough of this and that giving racing fans as much introduction as we can to the many different aspects of the press box, backside, etc.(and previously unseen spots at the track that the public doesn't usually have access to) can help to create new racing fans and make the track a fun place to visit for our "regulars".

Boomer
Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Zippy Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
Nice video Zippy! Sam McKee is an excellent race caller, and it was great of him to do this for you. I strongly believe that those of that work in the business can't do enough of this and that giving racing fans as much introduction as we can to the many different aspects of the press box, backside, etc.(and previously unseen spots at the track that the public doesn't usually have access to) can help to create new racing fans and make the track a fun place to visit for our "regulars".

Boomer
The best thing about it is that I think he was just as excited meeting us as we were meeting him. He loved meeting people that were into the sport
Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
Cubbymac26
Veteran

that was insane... how he memorizes that is beyond me...

every now and then i try to call a race and im not even close..

whatever he gets paid its not enough,,
Cubbymac26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
boomman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbymac26
that was insane... how he memorizes that is beyond me...

every now and then i try to call a race and im not even close..

whatever he gets paid its not enough,,
Can we hire you as a group to be our "agent"?

Boomer
Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
Zippy Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
Can we hire you as a group to be our "agent"?

Boomer
I guess when you are young and you want to do something you can do whatever you want. He was telling me he sent fan letters to Roger Huston when he was a kid and Roger was instrumental in him being a race caller. Also said Roger let him do a race call when he was 14 years old. At some track that is now extinct. Think he said Ladbroke or something in Michigan i think.