Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #61
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The difference is Thompson is a very good defender. Love is mediocre, at best. Cavs were -12 with Love on the floor in the Boston series, +20 without him. I doubt that is a fluke. He is a better version of Ryan Anderson.
Comparing Thompson to love is insulting to anyone who's ever played basketball or watched a game on television.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #62
lansdale

Quote:
If Love were in the west these days he wouldn't sniff the all star game. He hasn't made a an All NBA team in a while, and made only one second team and one third team in his career. I don't think I've been very wrong about him at all. He is a decent player but he should never have been a max player.
Love made his first three All-Star games while playing in the west, which, I think we can agree, has been the better conference for over a decade. During the summer of 2014, when there was so much noise over whether the Cavs should trade their first-round draft picks, Bennett and Wiggins for Love, with most LBJ fans begging him not to, the Cavs (or most likely, LBJ) pulled the trigger on the deal for Love, who he badly wanted to join them. As I remember, you were on the 'no-trade' side of this debate at the time. I don't think that anyone would argue today that Cavs should have kept Wiggins and Bennett. Re the max deal, that's a legal and technical matter which doesn't cover the full scope of any player's ability and isn't intended to. From that point of view, the compensation of the, let's say second-tier players like Love, is excessive compared with the the league's first tier. I get why many fans may not like this, but that's what the union wanted. You can't blame any player for making the best deal they possibly can.

As things stand, depending on his health, Love will likely be traded this summer, although difficult to say if LBJ will stay, asssuming to Finals appearance next year. I just think it's too bad that, given the ongoing drama surrounding Lebron, and his quest for a championship, he became a punching bag for fans frustrated that he wasn't better -- as if there was some other PF (other than prime Tim Duncan or Karl Malone) the Cavs could have brought in to win more titles.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 01:18 AM   #63
lansdale

Quote:
The difference is Thompson is a very good defender. Love is mediocre, at best. Cavs were -12 with Love on the floor in the Boston series, +20 without him. I doubt that is a fluke. He is a better version of Ryan Anderson.
I don't really want to get into an extended debate on this -- anyone interested can look at the numbers for themselves -- or not. Agreed that Thompson is a better defender than Love at times, but why does Love have a better Drtg for this year -- in fact, Hollinger's DRPM ranks Klay at #36 for 2-guards -- I was surprised when I saw this -- Love was #29 among centers. Re the on/off stats, we can both cherry pick this stuff forever -- KT has been -10 overall throughout this year's playoffs. Maybe worth remembering they're both somewhat banged up at the moment.

Ryan Anderson -- c'mon man. Yes, he is a good 3-ball guy, and would be KL if he also averaged 11 boards throughout his career instead of five, which is why he has 0 All Star appearances, instead of KL's five.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:31 AM   #64
lansdale

?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Comparing Thompson to love is insulting to anyone who's ever played basketball or watched a game on television.
Wow -- sounds like I insulted a lot of people -- including myself, since I have engaged in both of these activities. Since you didn't really respond to anything I posted -- to each his own.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #65
ronsmac

[QUOTE=lansdale;2323528]Wow -- sounds like I insulted a lot of people -- including myself, since I have engaged in both of these activities. Since you didn't really respond to anything I posted -- to each his own.[/QUOTE] Thompson scored 37 in 1/4 and 60 in a game on a great team loves favorite shot is the 5 foot jump hook that he clanks off the back of the rim. for the most part he's been terrible in the playoffs .put him on a bad team and sure he'll get 20 points a game while they lose by 15 every game. I've been praying for him to be better for 4 years. I was tricked like most people were by just looking at his numbers in Minnesota.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #66
Robert Fischer
clean money

(IMHO) Love is a slightly better player than Klay.

Neither guy is some amazing warrior that hates losing and carries teams. If I wanted to talk-up a guy, I kinda want that character if he's not a super-talent, but these are both good pieces.

Two very different types of pieces (other than their roles occasionally overlapping as 3-point threats).

Love's edge mostly comes from his rebounding. He's not just getting default rebounds, but he actually understands and capitalizes on consistently good rebounding positioning. He plays the angles and then he's solid enough to control the rebound when it bounces where it's supposed to.

As 'pure' basketball players it's fairly one-sided in Love's favor. In terms of 'fit' it's debatable that Klay is a better fit for GSW.

Klay really fits in well with that Golden State offense. Draymond/Klay do a fine job of fitting their specific team roles as well or better than Love/JRSmith.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-31-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 PM   #67
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

GSW -12.5
O/U 217

Seems almost impossible to take the points even while getting a bundle. Gotta believe this is gonna be an absolute beatdown in Game 1.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 01:49 AM   #68
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Probably the worst officiated last 5 minutes of a game I've ever seen. And every missed call went the way of GS.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #69
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Probably the worst officiated last 5 minutes of a game I've ever seen. And every missed call went the way of GS.

And that would have all been meaningless if JR Smith knew the game was tied and made that 6 footer he could have had when he grabbed that rebound with 4 seconds left. The worst thing was he tried defending his actions instead of owning the mistake.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #70
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
And that would have all been meaningless if JR Smith knew the game was tied and made that 6 footer he could have had when he grabbed that rebound with 4 seconds left. The worst thing was he tried defending his actions instead of owning the mistake.
KD was right on him so I doubt it would have been easy, but inexcusable to be that brain dead. My old 51 year old ass jumped up off the couch in disbelief as soon as he started dribbling the ball out.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #71
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The play at the end of the 1st half was nothing to write home about either.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #72
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
KD was right on him so I doubt it would have been easy, but inexcusable to be that brain dead. My old 51 year old ass jumped up off the couch in disbelief as soon as he started dribbling the ball out.

There were so many mishaps late in that game it is ridiculous.

Not sure why Cleveland wasn't calling a timeout anyway if they got the rebound. They obviously had no plans if that happened, and then brain dead JR had another 'moment'.

Cavs and LeBron have to be absolutely sick today. Even with all the bad calls and crap that happened, they had that game won.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #73
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
There were so many mishaps late in that game it is ridiculous.

Not sure why Cleveland wasn't calling a timeout anyway if they got the rebound. They obviously had no plans if that happened, and then brain dead JR had another 'moment'.

Cavs and LeBron have to be absolutely sick today. Even with all the bad calls and crap that happened, they had that game won.
In that case you generally don't want a timeout if your guy gets a rebound in the paint. The plan is to go back up and score, no?
Old 06-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #74
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
In that case you generally don't want a timeout if your guy gets a rebound in the paint. The plan is to go back up and score, no?

I don't think he really had control of the ball till he was bent over moving out of the lane. But yes, he should have been trying to go back up with the ball, and when he didn't a TO should have been called by somebody wearing a Cavs uni or on the bench.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #75
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
(IMHO) Love is a slightly better player than Klay.

Neither guy is some amazing warrior that hates losing and carries teams. If I wanted to talk-up a guy, I kinda want that character if he's not a super-talent, but these are both good pieces.

Two very different types of pieces (other than their roles occasionally overlapping as 3-point threats).

Love's edge mostly comes from his rebounding. He's not just getting default rebounds, but he actually understands and capitalizes on consistently good rebounding positioning. He plays the angles and then he's solid enough to control the rebound when it bounces where it's supposed to.

As 'pure' basketball players it's fairly one-sided in Love's favor. In terms of 'fit' it's debatable that Klay is a better fit for GSW.

Klay really fits in well with that Golden State offense. Draymond/Klay do a fine job of fitting their specific team roles as well or better than Love/JRSmith.
Love is most definitely NOT better than Klay. Not even close, IMO. Klay could score 25/game on quite a few teams. But playing with two Hall of Famers cuts into his opportunities. Klay is better than Love at everything except rebounding.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: