Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
ldiatone

BaseBall 2919

Bleacher Report via twitter Breaking: Bryce Harper is headed to the Phillies,

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Bryce yourselves, Phillies fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
Bleacher Report via twitter Breaking: Bryce Harper is headed to the Phillies,
Good move for the Phillies.Most guys getting those huge contracts are around 30 or older and are at the beginning of their decline.Harper just turned 26 last October, so unlike players like Pujols and ARod,he won't be 40 -42 at the end of the deal .He should be good for 40-45 HR's a year in that shoebox the Phils play in.

So how much are Mike Trout and Mookie Betts worth?

P.S. Is this thread also about baseball 900 years in the future?(Check thread title)

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 02-28-2019 at 03:26 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
dnlgfnk

Nationals Park ranked 5th in HR park factors in 2018, right behind Citizen's Bank...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfa.../sort/HRFactor

...don't see a major leap.

With the signing, I increased his projection (using method similar to Marcel system) by 1, to 33 HRs for '19.
dnlgfnk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
Secondbest

13 years 330 million. No opt outs and no trade clauses. Harper will be 39 in
The last year of the contract. In my opinion Philly gave too many years. Without steroids how many players are great after age 34-35.?
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
ElKabong

Terrible contract by the Phils. The back half will be painful.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
ultracapper

Position players peak in that 28-32 year old range. The longer they can keep it going after 32 or 33 years old determines their greatness.

Phillies are going to get a lot of baseball out of this guy, and he could still have upside. If he matures properly, they may even get fair market on the back end, as there will be half a billion dollar contracts written before this one is up. $30M a year may not be top ten payday half way through this one.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
dnlgfnk

Tom Tango is the go-to-guy for current sabermetrics.
At age 32, ideally Harper is himself in '18, on balance C.J Cron in '18, or cynically Rafael Devers in '18...

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harpe...25/c-302495700
dnlgfnk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
The Phillies might be banking on the NL finally allowing the DH.I'm still amazed after almost 50 years and its success in extending the careers of star players, it still isn't a rule in the National Leauge.Who wants to see some pitcher never lift the bat off their shoulder?.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
The Phillies might be banking on the NL finally allowing the DH.I'm still amazed after almost 50 years and its success in extending the careers of star players, it still isn't a rule in the National Leauge.Who wants to see some pitcher never lift the bat off their shoulder?.
You might be right. The next cba is in a few years. The union could go for some sort of tradeoff .Give us the DH in the NL and we give you something to speed up the game.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
ldiatone

Quote:
Good move for the Phillies.Most guys getting those huge contracts are around 30 or older and are at the beginning of their decline.Harper just turned 26 last October, so unlike players like Pujols and ARod,he won't be 40 -42 at the end of the deal .He should be good for 40-45 HR's a year in that shoebox the Phils play in.

So how much are Mike Trout and Mookie Betts worth?

P.S. Is this thread also about baseball 900 years in the future?(Check thread title)
OOPS! Hit the 9 instead of the 0 OOPS!!! well all know its "2919" or this year

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
ElKabong

Quote:
I like it. Puts more strategy in the game. Also, pitchers that could hit pre 1985 or so we're a bonus for his club. When the dh Was introduced to MLB in 73 most levels of play instituted it, in fact in Texas HS varsity, you could pinch hit for the pitcher and he could still pitch. That was early 70s before the dh rule

Too many pitchers now never had to bat. Take out the dh rule and you'd see a more interesting product down the line. Jmo
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
Marshall Bennett

Every player should have to swing the bat. Its what the game is all about. I hate the DH and after all these years I still haven't gotten used to it watching the American League play.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #13
barahona44

Batter up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I like it. Puts more strategy in the game. Also, pitchers that could hit pre 1985 or so we're a bonus for his club. When the dh Was introduced to MLB in 73 most levels of play instituted it, in fact in Texas HS varsity, you could pinch hit for the pitcher and he could still pitch. That was early 70s before the dh rule

Too many pitchers now never had to bat. Take out the dh rule and you'd see a more interesting product down the line. Jmo
Read somewhere that BA and power numbers for NL pitchers has declined from 30-40 years ago.(IIRC, the study eliminated any pitchers from the AL who had none or few AB's.)Theory being these guys don't want to swing the bat hard or run the bases which could lead to injury.Ask Steven Wright of the Red Sox:he hurt his shoulder sliding in an interleague game and he hasn't been the same since.And he's a knuckleballer

Last edited by barahona44; 03-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #14
ultracapper

So if I'm reading that article correctly, the assumption is that Harper's first year (2019) will be his best, and he'll then experience a gradual, steady decline? Is that correct? At least from a standard Bat%/OBP/Slg% slash line?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:07 PM   #15
ultracapper

Quote:
Read somewhere that BA and power numbers for NL pitchers has declined from 30-40 years ago.(IIRC, the study eliminated any pitchers from the AL who had none or few AB's.)Theory being these guys don't want to swing the bat hard or run the bases which could lead to injury.Ask Steven Wright of the Red Sox:he hurt his shoulder sliding in an interleague game and he hasn't been the same since.And he's a knuckleballer
Those Atlanta teams not only had outstanding pitchers, but those same guys did relatively well with the bat. Glavine and Maddux pushed each other for years to get better and better.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: