Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #91
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Question of the day.

How many Halters will Justify have for Auction during his lifetime?

I think they walk by and touch him with a halter and then toss it in big box and ship them all over the place.
You mean like Secretariat's race worn shoes? Lol.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #92
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Baffert said
uh-huh.

clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #93
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
"Its strictly business".
Damned straight
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #94
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz and Boltz View Post
Once the horse was syndicated for an amount equal to the national debt of a small country, this was inevitable.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #95
Steve R

Quote:
His derby, with the pace factored in, was pretty damn special. I believe it was the fastest half mile run by a winner of the race.
Spend a Buck went in :45.20, 1:09.60, 1:34.80, 2:00.20 and Justify in :45.77, 1:11.01, 1:37.35, 2:04.20.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #96
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Spend a Buck went in :45.20, 1:09.60, 1:34.80, 2:00.20 and Justify in :45.77, 1:11.01, 1:37.35, 2:04.20.
Spend a Buck was a better horse than Justify.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #97
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Spend a Buck was a better horse than Justify.
Good thing there wasn't social media when Spend a Buck skipped the Preakness for the Jersey Derby. He was a good one.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #98
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Good thing there wasn't social media when Spend a Buck skipped the Preakness for the Jersey Derby. He was a good one.
What would have been different if there was social media when Spend A Buck skipped the Preakness?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #99
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Once the horse was syndicated for an amount equal to the national debt of a small country, this was inevitable.
He hasn’t been syndicated. At least not yet, and I wouldn’t think ever. The options appear to be either a sale to Coolmore or stand with multiple ownership.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #100
Fager Fan
Veteran

As others stated, it’s getting harder and harder to find anything to like about this sport.

So now the TC winner retires “due to filling in his ankle.” No one thinks to ask any follow up on that one? Filling isn’t an injury, it’s inflammation caused by an injury. So what’s the injury? it’s not like they haven’t taken X-rays or done nuke scans to find out what’s going on in there. But instead we’re fed with “filling in his ankle” in mid-July means he can’t be ready for a race or two come Oct and Nov. Right.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #101
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
As others stated, it’s getting harder and harder to find anything to like about this sport.

So now the TC winner retires “due to filling in his ankle.” No one thinks to ask any follow up on that one? Filling isn’t an injury, it’s inflammation caused by an injury. So what’s the injury? it’s not like they haven’t taken X-rays or done nuke scans to find out what’s going on in there. But instead we’re fed with “filling in his ankle” in mid-July means he can’t be ready for a race or two come Oct and Nov. Right.
He didnt retire because of the ankle injury, he retired because he is worth 75 million dollars and has a slight ankle issue, that with time would have been fine, but everyone with half a brain does not risk 75 million dollars to run at 4.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 11:13 PM   #102
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
wait, this is a joke right? Before my time and did not know this. What is the Jersey Derby?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #103
dilanesp

Quote:
He didnt retire because of the ankle injury, he retired because he is worth 75 million dollars and has a slight ankle issue, that with time would have been fine, but everyone with half a brain does not risk 75 million dollars to run at 4.
How much money were the Hills and Taylors risking when they raced Slew at 4 after he suffered far worse injuries than Justify's filling?

I don't agree with you about anyone with a brain. How about someone who wants to win more races? Heck, Zayat at least took a tiny risk by keeping AP in training, but he wanted to see him run again and wanted to win the BC Classic.

Racing is the point of the sport. Nobody pays admission to watch horses make love. So there are lots of perfectly smart reasons to keep running.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:41 PM   #104
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
How much money were the Hills and Taylors risking when they raced Slew at 4 after he suffered far worse injuries than Justify's filling?

I don't agree with you about anyone with a brain. How about someone who wants to win more races? Heck, Zayat at least took a tiny risk by keeping AP in training, but he wanted to see him run again and wanted to win the BC Classic.

Racing is the point of the sport. Nobody pays admission to watch horses make love. So there are lots of perfectly smart reasons to keep running.
I have no idea the financial situations of Zayat of those with Justify, which has multiple partnerships.

Racing is a gambling venture, its a sport second.

I dont know how much Slew was worth, well before my time. Was he an expensive yearling? Well bred? Dont know. I know he was a great stallion though (though he was plain looking, at least when I saw him in 92'.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 AM   #105
dilanesp

Quote:
I have no idea the financial situations of Zayat of those with Justify, which has multiple partnerships.

Racing is a gambling venture, its a sport second.

I dont know how much Slew was worth, well before my time. Was he an expensive yearling? Well bred? Dont know. I know he was a great stallion though (though he was plain looking, at least when I saw him in 92'.
He wasn't expensive, but he was well bred and was sought after as a stallion from the start. And even assuming his worth wasn't known, they were still gambling with a stallion that actually was worth that much.

The point is they wanted to race, and they ended up beating Affirmed twice AND making a ton breeding.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: