Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

On the naming of racehorses....

I find it strange and amusing what names owners give to their race horses. Is there any rhyme or reason (no pun intended) to naming...?

I know that some are combinations of sire and dam names as if to form a name from both...but still there are a lot of strange, strange names for example, today there is a horse named "Croissant".....or "Normandy Beach" or "Cimpl Man"...

Now horses are living beings and we have relationships with them..so what, do we as handlers say, "Here, Normandy Beach, here Normandy Beach, come get your carrot, Normandy Beach...?

Or how about the name "Next Shares"...? What has that name got anything to do with a living breathing horse...?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-01-2018 at 10:06 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
jay68802

Like you, I enjoy some of the names and wonder how they came to be.

Some names seem to stick with you, like the horse named Skinny Peter has stuck in my memory. Why was the horse named that.

I think it was Mike Repole who named the horse Stopchargingmaria because his wife had a spending problem while they were building their house. I thought that was sort of funny. And at least when he names a horse Stopbangingthepoolboy, we will know the status of their relationship.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I find it strange and amusing what names owners give to their race horses. Is there any rhyme or reason (no pun intended) to naming...?

I know that some are combinations of sire and dam names as if to form a name from both...but still there are a lot of strange, strange names for example, today there is a horse named "Croissant".....or "Normandy Beach" or "Cimpl Man"...

Now horses are living beings and we have relationships with them..so what, do we as handlers say, "Here, Normandy Beach, here Normandy Beach, come get your carrot, Normandy Beach...?

Or how about the name "Next Shares"...? What has that name got anything to do with a living breathing horse...?
The names usually get shortened around the barn, if they can be shortened. Normandy Beach is probably Normandy or even Norm.

It can be hard to name the horses because of availability. Most short one or two word great names are already taken (at least until the annual release of names). I always wanted to name a horse Godspeed, but it's permanently unavailable.

I hardly ever worry with trying a combination of the sire and dam's names, though occasionally a dam comes along with a name that can inspire names for the offspring. The best I've heard lately is the first offspring out of Egg Drop who is getting close to debuting. His name? Scrambled.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
The names usually get shortened around the barn, if they can be shortened. Normandy Beach is probably Normandy or even Norm.

It can be hard to name the horses because of availability. Most short one or two word great names are already taken (at least until the annual release of names). I always wanted to name a horse Godspeed, but it's permanently unavailable.

I hardly ever worry with trying a combination of the sire and dam's names, though occasionally a dam comes along with a name that can inspire names for the offspring. The best I've heard lately is the first offspring out of Egg Drop who is getting close to debuting. His name? Scrambled.
That's pretty funny..! There are probably lot's of good "Egg Drop" names...like maybe "Humpty Dumpty"...but that's probably already been hatched...

How about "Hesagoodegg" or "Ilikeminefried"...or "TheEggMan'sMyPa"...sorry, there's just something humorous about EggNamesForHorses...I could go on...
Old 01-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Sparky13

Some of my favorites to run at old Beulah Park in Columbus, Ohio: EECCHHOO, Dasindog, MooMooBuckaroo and Allmyxsliveintexas.
Sparky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
onefast99

I have to tell you, this isn't as easy a task as you think. Once you come up with a name that you like you have to go to the registry and make sure the name can be used. I'm sure cimpl man was originally going to be simple man and per the registry it was already taken. Repole named stopchargingmaria based on the fact his wife charged while shopping(if I sell a company and pocket 1.3b I would let my wife shop all day). How about those who name a horse after a loved one and then the horse gets claimed? It happened to my trainer who bred the horse, he named it after his daughter it took a while but he claimed her back and then made her a riding pony.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky13 View Post
Some of my favorites to run at old Beulah Park in Columbus, Ohio: EECCHHOO, Dasindog, MooMooBuckaroo and Allmyxsliveintexas.
Lol

George Strait All My Ex's Live In Texas Live - YouTube
Old 01-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
Lol

George Strait All My Ex's Live In Texas Live - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMNw_-yUm_0
When I was in Basic Training, our TI used to make us march to that song. I wish I was kidding.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
When I was in Basic Training, our TI used to make us march to that song. I wish I was kidding.
LOL
Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
Racetrack Playa
regular user

The Green Monkey? a frog
Ghostzapper? a joint

Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetrack Playa View Post
The Green Monkey? a frog
Ghostzapper? a joint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmQ5FCAb6vc
I like owners that do something unique like the one word namer- Lure was one, and the owner who named after air stations- Arazi was on of the horses.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
I like owners that do something unique like the one word namer- Lure was one, and the owner who named after air stations- Arazi was on of the horses.

Allen Paulson --All of the horses that he got to name were named after airport navigational checkpoints that he had flown through during his piloting career. Some other horses he owned named after checkpoints include Arazi, Azeri, Yagli and Diazo and Cigar.

It certainly far nobler than that "sicko" who names his horses after financial terms, who I hope will never receive an Eclipse.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
elhelmete

If you want to see someone who REALLY went deep in naming her horses, look up Suffolk Downs owner/trainer/breeder Patricia Meadows.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

The Rules for Naming

http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/r...jcRuleBook#six
Old 01-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #15
onefast99

bodacious tatas a Dennis Drazin owned horse. Nice name. Last raced in 1991.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: