Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #16
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Disagree...
Yeah. Also the G2 status of the race. If I have a G1 horse then I'd be aiming for a G1 race. Pletcher is a good purse snatcher when targeting his B-squad.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #17
Musket Man

Wood BSF 96.
Musket Man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

(In Florida)Mo was a bit sluggish, but he was about the equal of White Abarrio. Now he has moved forward a little bit. I have to re-watch the race and look at the pace etc... but he was sharp. Depending on the pace interpretation he may have been against the flow. Obviously he saved beneficial ground and made a last-move.

For his specific case, it made sense to get a confidence-builder/points in the Wood, and give Charge It a chance in Fl.

It's not like they had Mo running MSW and ALW in the Aqu Winter meet.

No question the Wood is generally weaker. Florida is more pleasure in the Winter for most NYers.

Arkansas is a battle supermeet with some good purses/Grades.

Cali is Cali.

Keeneland is a wealthy event.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-10-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 12:26 PM   #19
burnsy
self medicated

Yeah , but here are the results of stakes races . Tiz The Bomb ships from Gulfstream to Turfway wins John Battaglia and Jeff Ruby . Mo Donegal ships to Ny , wins Wood. Neither one beat White Abbario. So who got better as a 3 yo? The only one that came close to that horse is Charge It who has plenty of room to get even better. The other contingent that appears to be strong is the Louisiana connection this year. With horses spreading out and performing at other tracks. Every year people try to discount Florida. Someone out of that Florida Derby is gonna be in the picture this year if they stay healthy. I’m willing to bet at least one leg of the Triple Crown.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #20
classhandicapper

Quote:
Disagree. If you have what you think is a top horse if you’re in California you will race there or transfer to Arkansas. I mean, the pattern is plain as day. That’s the pipeline for the west. On the east , these days you will go where the weather is good. So , Florida is the place. It almost guarantee’s a sound training pattern right up until you race and subsequent “step up” preps without interruption. Keenland didn’t even open until Friday, they get the ones that need something to get in. That race in Turfway is the same deal. And you’re not keeping your horse in NY all winter if you know it’s really good. Just the reality of the landscape and logistics. That doesn’t mean these horses will never win from there. They will occasionally. Like anything in gambling or sports training. But jeez, it’s hard to call this random by seeing the results of the last 20 years or more. The favorite this year will probably come from Louisiana. So, we will see. For NY and Keenland it’s just been too few over a long period of time to think it’s an “accident”. People up here with the wherewithal head south at the turn of the weather. That’s life up here.
Florida always had the NY horses that left for the winter. But some would run in the Wood because of scheduling, the trainer was looking for the right spot, or because the trainer shipped most of their barn back. Mo Donegal came from Florida. He may not be good enough to win the Derby, but if he did it might change perceptions about using the Wood as a prep and then slowly return it to Grade 1 status.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 04-10-2022 at 12:37 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 04:47 PM   #21
classhandicapper

Anyone see a head-on replay of the Wood Memorial?
Old 04-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #22
f2tornado

Quote:
Every year people try to discount Florida. Someone out of that Florida Derby is gonna be in the picture this year if they stay healthy. I’m willing to bet at least one leg of the Triple Crown.
I'm generally not one of those people, but the FL Derby was slow this year and the final panel was a sluggish 14+ seconds. I cannot think of a horse that won the Derby closing like that at 9F. Further, a look at the place and show horses in FL Derby over the last 30 years is basically a list of G1 also-rans. You do make an excellent argument from a class perspective. No doubt, some flattery to be considered.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2022, 08:23 AM   #23
Curln22

Simplification is the sleeper from the FL circuit.
Curln22 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #24
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curln22 View Post
Simplification is the sleeper from the FL circuit.
I like this horse as well. He doesn't win every single time (people expect that nowadays), but Simplification has proven to be pretty versatile and honest. I definitely wouldn't leave him out of tris or supers.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply