Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

College Football Bowls

Very disappointing bowl games the last few days. Every one that I watched has been over by halftime.

It is now halftime at the Sugar Bowl:
Oklahoma State: 6
University of Mississippi : 34

Another bowl bites the dust, I’m going to bed.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Yep..all these games have been awful. One bright spot was the Stanford's band farmersonly.com jab at Iowa. ESPN cut away from it pretty quick though.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Iowa ruined my day. I was all set to watch a blood war, but they played like it was a training camp practice. They played like it wasnt a big deal if they won or lost, all they cared about is trying to look as much like the Steelers as possible.

Awful
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Thanks for the perfect opportunity for me to trot out my annual bowl complaint. I'm pretty sure I've aired this grievance previously in the eight years or so I've been participating here.

I like the current playoff system a tiny bit better than the BCS, but I like the previous system of conference affiliations much much better. I think it was better to have four or five meaningful bowl games and a vote afterwards, even if it meant a split decision, to determine a national champ. Who really cares who the champ is after a few days or weeks anyway?

Now we have two games that matter, and a 10-day break for yet another game, and a bunch of other games that matter not one bit. I don't think that's progress. Consider some matchups that might have occurred:

Rose: Stanford v Mich St
Fiesta: Oklahoma v ND or Ohio State
Sugar: Alabama v ND or Ohio State, Baylor maybe
Orange: Clemson v OSU or Baylor or Houston maybe

Put Ole Miss in the mix, maybe throw Iowa a bone, but the point is have everything over within about 30 hours and see what shakes out. This has been the worst bowl season ever (forty + games doesn't help, either, but I'm not going to knock the cheesy early ones that don't impact New Year's at all).

I'd even allow for a final #1 v #2 after all that if it made some folks happier, but it wouldn't have the rigidity or pre-determined matchups that the current system has. This season has really stunk, and it's a result of the process, and not by chance.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
burnsy
self medicated

Roll Tide! Not that I really care but my girlfriend is from Alabama. Having that game on New Years Eve was genius. I didn't have to deal with the crowds and drunks because she was going no where with that game on. That's was the best NYE in years, I ordered pizza and wings, watched the game and avoided the "pain" of being in the crowds. She even knew I was happier than a pig in slop with that deal. The only reason I would go out on that night is her wanting to.......

Keep those games on New Years Eve, if bama is in it I get to stay home......
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I agree burnsy, I like the move of putting the two bowls that 'matter' on NY eve. My main complaint about the bowls was that there were too darn many games on NY day. At one point, oneyear, I remember three on at the same time. The Sugar bowl used to be on NY eve, back in the day, then that was moved to the next day.
I hope they keep this format but with those two being blowouts (even I didn't watch the 2nd half) and most of the other games too, I would guess that the ratings might be down all over, which might get some people to panic.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
Thanks for the perfect opportunity for me to trot out my annual bowl complaint. I'm pretty sure I've aired this grievance previously in the eight years or so I've been participating here.

I like the current playoff system a tiny bit better than the BCS, but I like the previous system of conference affiliations much much better. I think it was better to have four or five meaningful bowl games and a vote afterwards, even if it meant a split decision, to determine a national champ. Who really cares who the champ is after a few days or weeks anyway?

Now we have two games that matter, and a 10-day break for yet another game, and a bunch of other games that matter not one bit. I don't think that's progress. Consider some matchups that might have occurred:

Rose: Stanford v Mich St
Fiesta: Oklahoma v ND or Ohio State
Sugar: Alabama v ND or Ohio State, Baylor maybe
Orange: Clemson v OSU or Baylor or Houston maybe

Put Ole Miss in the mix, maybe throw Iowa a bone, but the point is have everything over within about 30 hours and see what shakes out. This has been the worst bowl season ever (forty + games doesn't help, either, but I'm not going to knock the cheesy early ones that don't impact New Year's at all).

I'd even allow for a final #1 v #2 after all that if it made some folks happier, but it wouldn't have the rigidity or pre-determined matchups that the current system has. This season has really stunk, and it's a result of the process, and not by chance.
I agree for the most part. I'd go back the the old system and have , as you mentioned, #1 and #2 play for the championship 10 days or so later. That way, more games would 'matter'.
The problem with the old system was it allowed teams to duck a good team. Penn State always complained about getting shafted. There would have to be some system that made sure that the good teams played each other and not a stiff just to be eligible for the championship.

I don't think that the new system is responsible for the blowouts though. Still four more games today. Maybe we'll get a decent contest.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
MutuelClerk

At one time in the bowl games the two teams playing for the Big 10 championship were losing by a combined score of 73-0. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not good. I'm not a buckeye fan at all, but they were the best team the big 10 had this season. How they lost at home to Sparty without Cook is a mystery.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
Marshall Bennett

A few teams this year are playing in bowl games with a 5-7 record. It's all about the bucks now, not deserving teams.
I like TCU today +7 against Oregon. Playing in South Texas, almost like a home game for frogs.

Last edited by Marshall Bennett; 01-02-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
A few teams this year are playing in bowl games with a 5-7 record. It's all about the bucks now, not deserving teams.
I like TCU today +7 against Oregon. Playing in South Texas, almost like a home game for frogs.
Tcu won't have their qb, that could make it tricky for them.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Tcu won't have their qb, that could make it tricky for them.
Probably why line opened at even and moved to +7.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #12
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
At one time in the bowl games the two teams playing for the Big 10 championship were losing by a combined score of 73-0. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not good. I'm not a buckeye fan at all, but they were the best team the big 10 had this season. How they lost at home to Sparty without Cook is a mystery.
I think one can make a strong case that Ohio State is one of the two best teams in the country.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I think one can make a strong case that Ohio State is one of the two best teams in the country.
There's no question. They might even be the best team. This is why we need more than a 4 team playoff. Teams should not be penalized for the timing of a loss instead be graded on their overall body of work. There was never a doubt that Ohio St was and is a better team than Oklahoma. No good team this year especially a team ranked 4th would have lost to Texas.

If its going to stay at a 4 team playoff....My idea would be to implement a new plan where all teams play a conference schedule/rival games but aren't allowed to schedule any other games. The playoff committee would be in charge of the out of conference schedules. That way teams are forced to have a competitive schedule. Next season Baylor's first three games are Northwestern State, SMU and Rice.... Then they go into Big 12 play... Seriously?
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #14
Tall One
Scum Bum!

At this juncture, and regardless, you can't leave Alabama out of any conversation as the best team. Beat them, and there it is. IMO.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #15
Marshall Bennett

What they worry about is losing money. Should they go to an 8 team format chances are a team such as The Univ. of Houston would reach the finals and tremendously lower the market value of a championship game. This way with 4 (and I like probably most would prefer 8), they feel they're guaranteed a quality game worth a whole lot more.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: