Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-31-2024, 05:15 PM   #16
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Wouldn't Diodoro learn from his first suspension not to use any banned/class substances?

I tabbed him as one of the best trainers at Oaklawn but honestly not anymore.
No! The amazing thing about these guys is keeping it around track property . A positive is one thing . They done just caught him Red Handed. You can’t make this shit up. Not even good at it……. After all this time
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2024, 05:42 PM   #17
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
No! The amazing thing about these guys is keeping it around track property . A positive is one thing . They done just caught him Red Handed. You can’t make this shit up. Not even good at it……. After all this time
Probably inevitable for it to be around track property when it's the third most prescribed medication in the world.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:17 PM   #18
racenomics

Quote:
Deleted his twitter. That’s a Navarro move. Guy is cooked
Old 03-31-2024, 07:21 PM   #19
summersquall

Good thing Vic decided to cancel his plans to wade into the ownership game.

~ Lily Tomlin
summersquall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 08:27 AM   #20
Saratoga

Are these guys really suspended ....

or they just transfer someone under them to the named trainer?
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 09:45 AM   #21
lamboguy

i don't like to classify one drug being worse than the other. when i own horses, i choose to run without anything at all. in my opinion, it will cost me as a 2 or 3 year old horse, but it will help for when they get older. if you pay attention to what has happened to the game, there are champion 3 year olds that retire after winning the triple crown. that hurts the fan base of the sport. that is one less draw. not that long ago horses like ZENYATTA, SKIP AWAY, FORMAL GOLD, FOURSTARDAVE. all brought people to the track. even horses like LURE AND COZZENE drew big. today once in awhile you have some satebred that won a bundh of races somewhere that will attract people.

the main reason for this is the value of the horse is in the millions, and it would cost more to insure the horse than what he could win racing, and they would lose the revenue that they bring in as stallions and Broodmares.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 01:53 PM   #22
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Probably inevitable for it to be around track property when it's the third most prescribed medication in the world.
That doesn’t matter . 1.) the guy is already hot . So, you gotta figure , “ they could be watching me.” 2.) with all the crap that going down you have to figure . “Gee, they might come around snooping for the hell of it.”

Like I said …… some of these guys suck at playing the game .

3.) my name is Burnsy for a reason . I could procure things you can Burn . Get it ? Oh yeah , never caught once ! Out ran it til they leagalized it . I guess I had a f’in clue though .
Old 04-01-2024, 02:13 PM   #23
Ruffian1

Racetrack Tests are labeled by a sequence of letters and numbers and the lab has no idea which test is what horse or trainer.
It is a blind stand alone test associated with a serial number only.
That is set up that way for obvious reasons.
That was my first hand observation in the 80’s and 90’s.
Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 02:29 PM   #24
burnsy
self medicated

People don’t get it . You never want to be holding anything that you know damn well will get you in trouble . It’s just common sense . I could care less what “procedure “ is . You got something , they want your ass . It’s not rocket science. It was the same thing with gambling . Of course I have friends that were in that . Where I live I think I made my first bets at the local “Shoe Repair “ before I was 20 years old ! Oh yeah , now that’s legal too ! 😆
There’s a reason it’s called the “Black Market “ . Prescribed means nothing if you ain’t supposed to have it . People are dying every day from “Prescription “ medicine every day . It gets sold and passed around . If you’re getting suspended and hassled over it . Obviously, it ain’t in your name or you shouldn’t have it . And you got caught holding it . Cmon
Old 04-01-2024, 06:55 PM   #25
MJC922

Quote:
People don’t get it . You never want to be holding anything that you know damn well will get you in trouble . It’s just common sense . I could care less what “procedure “ is . You got something , they want your ass . It’s not rocket science. It was the same thing with gambling . Of course I have friends that were in that . Where I live I think I made my first bets at the local “Shoe Repair “ before I was 20 years old ! Oh yeah , now that’s legal too ! ��
There’s a reason it’s called the “Black Market “ . Prescribed means nothing if you ain’t supposed to have it . People are dying every day from “Prescription “ medicine every day . It gets sold and passed around . If you’re getting suspended and hassled over it . Obviously, it ain’t in your name or you shouldn’t have it . And you got caught holding it . Cmon
There's no name mentioned. Is it a bottle in his pocket with some else's name, is it in the tack room, I don't have the details but I can tell you something, as for me as a fan I could care less about this guy having levothyroxine because having it isn't a drug positive. The horse didn't test positive for it, so how am I hurt by this as a horseplayer? Fine the guy, move on. Don't need to hand out a two year suspension for baby aspirin while on the other side you can be all clenned up three weeks out and that's somehow ok. That's what hurts the players and the horses.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:02 PM   #26
Spalding No!

Quote:
There's no name mentioned. Is it a bottle in his pocket with some else's name, is it in the tack room, I don't have the details but I can tell you something, as for me as a fan I could care less about this guy having levothyroxine because having it isn't a drug positive.
This case amounts to possessing a substance that is:

(a) banned at all times
(b) undetectable in post-race testing
(c) suspected to be detrimental to the health of horses

Should horseplayers or any other racing stakeholder group be concerned with any or all of the above?

Quote:
The horse didn't test positive for it, so how am I hurt by this as a horseplayer?
Can substances undetectable in post-racing potentially impact the results of a race?

If so, does this affect the horseplayer?

If not, is there still concern if the substance endangers a horse's health?

Quote:
Fine the guy, move on. Don't need to hand out a two year suspension for baby aspirin while on the other side you can be all clenned up three weeks out and that's somehow ok. That's what hurts the players and the horses.
Common human medications can be toxic in other species.

Clenbuterol is also a banned substance with limited permissible use under the rules of racing.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2024, 06:14 AM   #27
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
This case amounts to possessing a substance that is:

(a) banned at all times
(b) undetectable in post-race testing
(c) suspected to be detrimental to the health of horses

Should horseplayers or any other racing stakeholder group be concerned with any or all of the above?

Can substances undetectable in post-racing potentially impact the results of a race?

If so, does this affect the horseplayer?

If not, is there still concern if the substance endangers a horse's health?

Common human medications can be toxic in other species.

Clenbuterol is also a banned substance with limited permissible use under the rules of racing.
Absolutely, you're talking to someone who is against all drugs in racing. Period. However, as for this drug and testing, there are blood tests done which will show a historical increase in T4 levels in the blood which is how a doctor actually prescribes and monitors the required dosage. I'm well aware because my son is on it. So if you want to make a court case out of it then I personally would expect to see a graph with some sort of upward tick in it and probably see such a graph on multiple horses as a smoking gun. I have my doubts as to what degree of a move-up this is anyway. I'm confident it's virtually nothing compared to clenbuterol with regard to performance enhancement. As a horseplayer I need to be concerned with drugs that have a significant impact on performance.

The U.S. Anti-Doping agency has Clenbuterol banned at all times both in and out of competition. Horse racing stands alone in having this permitted as long as it's three weeks out from a race. Do you think this still impacts performance when it's being used three weeks out? Do I know as a horseplayer who has been given this and when? Does it stress the heart? There are people, fit people not people at deaths door who have dropped dead from the the effects of this crap. I'm absolutely convinced that many of the heart attacks we've seen in racehorses over the past 20 years are from the use of clenbuterol. There should be statistical evidence of it. Cause of death due to heart attacks in the 80s vs late very 90's + 2000s when this first came on the scene.

Last edited by MJC922; 04-02-2024 at 06:21 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2024, 10:18 AM   #28
Spalding No!

Quote:
As a horseplayer I need to be concerned with drugs that have a significant impact on performance.
Other stakeholders in the industry have to be concerned not only with performance-impacting drugs but also with masking agents and substances that are detrimental to horse welfare.

Levothyroxine is banned for the latter category.

Quote:
The U.S. Anti-Doping agency has Clenbuterol banned at all times both in and out of competition. Horse racing stands alone in having this permitted as long as it's three weeks out from a race.
This is not correct. A horse properly prescribed clenbuterol is placed on a list that restricts it from racing AND training while on said list. Removal from the list requires a workout with testing. The whole process takes longer than 3 weeks.

Furthermore, there are restrictions on the length of time any individual horse can be treated with clenbuterol in a 6-month period.

The penalties are harsh for administering clenbuterol outside this protocol.

Quote:
Does it stress the heart? There are people, fit people not people at deaths door who have dropped dead from the the effects of this crap. I'm absolutely convinced that many of the heart attacks we've seen in racehorses over the past 20 years are from the use of clenbuterol.
Risk of heart attacks is also the reason why levothyroxine is prohibited.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2024, 10:34 AM   #29
classhandicapper

I'm not defending drug use or Diodoro. I also have no idea what the details of this case are. But if the drug is occasionally legitimately prescribed for humans I would hope the investigation includes whether this was a legitimate prescription for someone that needs it due to a documented health condition. In such a case, possession would not necessarily demonstrate bad intentions and should be considered in any fine or suspension.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:47 AM   #30
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Other stakeholders in the industry have to be concerned not only with performance-impacting drugs but also with masking agents and substances that are detrimental to horse welfare.

Levothyroxine is banned for the latter category.

This is not correct. A horse properly prescribed clenbuterol is placed on a list that restricts it from racing AND training while on said list. Removal from the list requires a workout with testing. The whole process takes longer than 3 weeks.

Furthermore, there are restrictions on the length of time any individual horse can be treated with clenbuterol in a 6-month period.

The penalties are harsh for administering clenbuterol outside this protocol.

Risk of heart attacks is also the reason why levothyroxine is prohibited.
That's great, I'm all for banning it like all other drugs. With that said you can't have a situation where I can take the third most common Rx in the world (we aren't talking cocaine here) walk down this guy's shedrow and drop a bottle into his tack room say for example then call a tip line with no proof whatsoever that it's actually being given to his horses and have him potentially suspended for two years.

If you want to fine him then go for it, but a long suspension should be confined to something where there's actual evidence of it being administered IMO. Like I said witnessing it being administered or for example elevated levels of T4 in the blood. Something legit should be there as evidence, otherwise you have people who for example resent their horse getting claimed and moved up a couple of times start looking to plant a bottle of something in the barn.

My understanding is a horse cannot participate in timed workouts or races while on clenbuterol. I don't believe gallops qualify as timed workouts in this context. Maybe someone can clarify that. Anyway it doesn't matter much to me workouts or no workouts, you and I both know full well why it's being used, it's a PED.

I'll abstain from going further on the clenbuterol issue in this thread because that's somewhat off-topic for this levothyroxine-focused thread anyway, I apologize. The thought was just to point out that with regard to drugs in racing there are IMO bigger fish to fry than someone's possession of levothyroxine.

Last edited by MJC922; 04-02-2024 at 10:57 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply