Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-29-2024, 09:26 AM   #1
Inner Dirt

Who is or was your favorite female sportscaster?

I think I would have to pick Jayne Kennedy, it did not hurt that she was drop dead gorgeous. Picking her came to mind when I was reliving memories and watched Niatross win the American Pacing Classic at Hollywood Park in 1980.
I was there in person to watch him set a track and world record. Then I watched more Niatross videos and that Sports Legends show or whatever it was where Jayne interviewed Clint Galbraith the trainer/driver of Niatross.

Jayne even put on silks and drove a horse around the track at the end of the show. No need to start another thread.

Since I was a west coaster at the time and only attended harness at Hollywood Park, Los Alamitos and Fairplex
later betting simulcast at Cal Expo, I only saw Galbraith drive one time with a clear picture and since any top 100 East Coast horse would have stomped the West Coast #1 horse, I could have drove Niatross to victory and of course I have never driven a horse and just rode them a couple dozen times.

What do you East Coast harness fans think of the driving skills of Galbraith? I see some people totally trash him and claim it was his training skills and horse flesh that made him famous, not his driving skills.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2024, 04:21 PM   #2
headhawg
crusty old guy

I'll tell you who it's not -- Erin Andrews. Easily the most overrated sportscaster in history. Her voice is annoying and she ain't all that in the looks department. Not sure why people love her. I think Leslie Visser was classy and very good at her job. I also like Suzy Kolber. She had a fun style but wasn't a ditz. Knew her stuff.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:23 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I'll tell you who it's not -- Erin Andrews. Easily the most overrated sportscaster in history. Her voice is annoying and she ain't all that in the looks department. Not sure why people love her. I think Leslie Visser was classy and very good at her job. I also like Suzy Kolber. She had a fun style but wasn't a ditz. Knew her stuff.

I can't believe it took so long for a reply. In fact I was reading a lot about Erin Andrews recently, no one mentions an exact name but consensus was it was Warren Sapp made her cry by insulting her. She was in her early 20's and struggling with a locker room issue and she supposedly asked him a dumb question.

So by the bolded I take it you weren't her peeping Tom in that hotel. Erin Andrews doesn't ring a bell either way for me, she definitely does not make me drool and have impure thoughts like Jayne Kennedy did and I think her reporting is middle of the road even for a female.

Phyllis George anybody? I don't remember hearing she passed away in 2020.
I think she was pretty much the ground breaker for women sportscasters.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:06 PM   #4
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I'll mention Linda Cohn.

She played hockey and made her high school boy's team senior year as a goalie.

She was knowledgeable, easy to listen to, and Imo a natural fit for Sports Center.

-jp
Old 03-01-2024, 10:42 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I'll mention Linda Cohn.

She played hockey and made her high school boy's team senior year as a goalie.

She was knowledgeable, easy to listen to, and Imo a natural fit for Sports Center.

-jp

Jayne Kennedy convinced me pretty quick women can be knowledgeable about sports, do interviews and reporting. For some reason it took me a while
to accept listening to them on the radio doing sports talk. I think it was mid 90's I heard the first woman sports talk host. It was probably on the mighty 690 AM that broadcasted out of Tijuana Mexico that did the Charger games and where Jim Rome got his start. I think it was a Saturday show it took me a while to realize the two women were pretty knowledgeable. The next thing I had to get used to was hearing a woman's voice broadcasting a live sporting event. I think the first one was Ann Meyers doing color on an NBA game.
I had to do quite a bit of Googling to get her name right.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:00 PM   #6
jimmyb

Do the NFL broadcasts even have a women? The pre game shows don't.

The Fox pre game used to have a woman doing the weather reports, think her name was Jillian and i really enjoyed her. Phyllis George was awful and the gal that was doing Yankee broadcasts was a hard listen. Jenny Dell I thought did good sideline stuff.

League broadcasts are behind the times as far as hiring woman. I'd love to see and hear a woman that knew her stuff instead of Phils Sims and Michael Strahan. Some of the NFL B team broadcasters could be replaced by a woman and they would probably do as credible a job. Terry Bradshaw is becoming the Joe Biden of Fox and needs to retire so there would be another opening.

The NFL wants to be inclusive, why not do it with the broadcasts.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2024, 12:14 AM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Do the NFL broadcasts even have a women? The pre game shows don't.

The Fox pre game used to have a woman doing the weather reports, think her name was Jillian and i really enjoyed her. Phyllis George was awful and the gal that was doing Yankee broadcasts was a hard listen. Jenny Dell I thought did good sideline stuff.

League broadcasts are behind the times as far as hiring woman. I'd love to see and hear a woman that knew her stuff instead of Phils Sims and Michael Strahan. Some of the NFL B team broadcasters could be replaced by a woman and they would probably do as credible a job. Terry Bradshaw is becoming the Joe Biden of Fox and needs to retire so there would be another opening.

The NFL wants to be inclusive, why not do it with the broadcasts.

I cannot stand Phil Simms, I am glad they pulled him from live broadcasts of games. His crap where he kept having to mention he won't say Redskins I found very annoying. I don't want to hear your political views when I am watching sports coverage even if I agree with them. I don't think a woman has rose above sideline reporter in the NFL. I have noticed they are putting women on TV sport talk shows that would not be considered eye candy, they definitely did not do that back in the day. I can't remember what I thought of Phyllis George. I know Kennedy took her job on the NFL Today when George wanted more money. If I don't remember my opinion of George in probably meant I thought she was nether good nor bad.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:38 AM   #8
mostpost

Leah Rehimi of NBC Chicago is excellent. She also appears on 670 the Score every Wednesday and as a fill in host. Very knowledgeable, and well spoken. Smarter than some of the male hosts.

Not to be confused with Leah Remini.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:06 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

I remember Jeanne Zelasko being decent. I don't think she covered much outside of SoCal.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:16 AM   #10
metro

Major network: Hannah Storm

ESPN: Michele Steele

Horse Racing centric: Jeannine Edwards
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2024, 02:25 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

I have been looking up all the mentioned I do not know, some the face refreshes a memory as I forgot their name. So far no one equals Jayne Kennedy in the eye candy department, in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:51 PM   #12
mountainman

Mina Kimes. As a female of Korean descent, she makes an easy target for opponents of DEI hirings. However, she strikes me as sharp and knowledgeable, not only covering her bases, but often offering fresh takes from unexpected angles.

One important disclaimer, though: On the "worldwide leader", It's impossible to tell where an analyst starts and their prep team stops.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-02-2024 at 07:52 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2024, 09:24 PM   #13
thaskalos

Best:......Leslie Visser

Worst:....Erin Andrews
Old 03-03-2024, 10:30 AM   #14
proximity

prime kennedy was amazing, imo maybe second best in love boat history behind barbi benton?

mina kimes is an accomplished yale graduate, probably underemployed at goofy espn.

one of my many unfinished projects was a sequel to the movie varsity blues called kilmer. the gist was to show that there was MUCH more to coach bud kilmer than being a simple racist who was becoming increasingly out of touch with today's players and offensive philosophies. on the contrary, coach kilmer actually had a son with a black woman. the son would go on to play football at the naval academy before being stationed in korea where he had a daughter with a korean woman who would basically grow up to become a mina kimesesque character who eventually finds her grandfather's old notes and learns that bud kilmer was really a pioneeer in analytics who was MILES ahead of the competition.....

but anyhow, i would nominate jenny from the hong kong broadcasts as a female sportscaster that actually adds usable insights. jmo.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2024, 01:15 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Best:......Leslie Visser

Worst:....Erin Andrews

I would consider her suing that hotel for the peeping tom and winning millions an act of no class. I will may more attention to her as I just considered her middle of the road for a female and many in here think she is terrible.