Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
molson721

Do you play Mountaineer online or other tracks?

If you wager from home or wager online, do you find it irritating that the Mountaineer in house handicappers talk up until there is 1 minute to post? I usually turn them down but I don't know of any track where they keep talking so close to post time. It drives me nuts. I keep the volume on so I know when the horses are close to loading but I can't do that with Mountaineer. Am I wrong to think they should shut up sooner and not keeping talking so close to post?

Also, how do you feel about the tracks that play music over their live feed. I find that irritating as well. Music tastes are so different all over the country and depending on age level, it annoys the hell out of me.

Anything else you want to add that annoys you? ADW players are a large demographic and I think they need to know what they can and shouldn't do to help us and not annoy us. I never hear music when I'm at the track and I don't want to hear it while I try to handicap a race over the internet. I only want to hear when they are close to post so I can make my wager without being shutout. Any thoughts would be welcome
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Maximillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson721
If you wager from home or wager online, do you find it irritating that the Mountaineer in house handicappers talk up until there is 1 minute to post? I usually turn them down but I don't know of any track where they keep talking so close to post time. It drives me nuts. I keep the volume on so I know when the horses are close to loading but I can't do that with Mountaineer. Am I wrong to think they should shut up sooner and not keeping talking so close to post?

Also, how do you feel about the tracks that play music over their live feed. I find that irritating as well. Music tastes are so different all over the country and depending on age level, it annoys the hell out of me.

Anything else you want to add that annoys you? ADW players are a large demographic and I think they need to know what they can and shouldn't do to help us and not annoy us. I never hear music when I'm at the track and I don't want to hear it while I try to handicap a race over the internet. I only want to hear when they are close to post so I can make my wager without being shutout. Any thoughts would be welcome
Have you ever actually listened to the Mnr handicapping show?
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson721

The Mountaineer in house guy is a regular poster here, i'm sure he's gonna chime in and tell you why they do what they do.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
The Mountaineer in house guy is a regular poster here, i'm sure he's gonna chime in and tell you why they do what they do.
He might add a few other things as well...
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
EvenSteven

Mute
EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Maximillion

The only problem I have with the Mnr handicapping show is that on my ADW I can often barely hear it.....I wish Mark and Nancy would talk louder.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
tanner12oz

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
get your popcorn ready lol
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Love Mark and Nancy. They honestly might be the only reason I ever make a wager on Mountaineer races.

They are interesting, knowledgeable, and entertaining. They also aren't going to just throw you the chalk that any half-assed horseplayer can figure out.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
No doubt, he's never one to be shy.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Love Mark and Nancy. They honestly might be the only reason I ever make a wager on Mountaineer races.

They are interesting, knowledgeable, and entertaining. They also aren't going to just throw you the chalk that any half-assed horseplayer can figure out.
Totally agree....a breath of fresh air....When you actually listen. And Mark will give you insight that can really help you handicap there.

The reason I say when you actually listen, when I first heard them and for around 6 months after they reminded me of the two women from the old SNL show.....You know the two in the Svetty Balls skit ( sorry Mark) because it did sound like Mark and Nancy were whispering to each other. But when I actually started listening, I started following MTR more often. Great insight. Totally NOT afraid to discuss trainer/owner intent, which NO other public handicapper that works for the track will dare do.

Keep up the great work guys!
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Mark won't bust balls. He's classier than that. Everybody has their preferences.

Mark and Nancy should be working a better track. They would be great a larger venue.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Mark won't bust balls. He's classier than that. Everybody has their preferences.

Mark and Nancy should be working a better track. They would be great a larger venue.
Agree
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:

Truer words were never spoken.

The handicappers and the announcer are top-class...and they deserve a better track and a wider audience.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
Knowclew

Quote:

Totally agree.

I do agree with Molson that the loud music can be a pain, even if
you like what they are playing.
Knowclew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
jballscalls

I got the really great pleasure to sit in the studio with Mark and Nancy one Monday night back in 2006 and it was really fun. They have a great chemistry on and off the camera and you could tell they were having a blast.

I even got to go up and watch a race with Peter. It was about 102 degrees and 150% humidity and his binoculars were fogging up.

Interesting note about announcing at Mountaineer, there is a massive pole (I think it's a light pole) directly in the way of Peter's view as the field turns for home. It made me that much more impressed with his already great calls. Other than his love for soccer, he's the man!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: