Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #61
lamboguy

this is the best field i have ever seen, next year will be better than this year's and the next year after that will be better as well. a matter of fact the field 10 years from now will be the very best one of all time.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #62
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedevar
Actually Forego finished 5th behind Secretariat.
Forego was fourth in the Derby, a half length behind Our Native. From the chart: "FOREGO , taken to the inside early, veered slightly form a rival and hit the rail entering the far turn, swung wide entering the stretch and vied with OUR NATIVE in the drive.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #63
Thomas Roulston

Looking at the lifetime-best BSFs of virtually all the Derby horses, Casey Stengel's famous quote comes to mind: Can anyone here play this game?

This Derby might go in 2:06.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #64
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Dr Fager

Cigar

Forego

etc, etc, etc

Obviously, there is a vast quantity that do not fit your label. I would rather state that famous (and great) horses make the triple crown. You give too much importance to three arbitrary races making the horses, when in fact, they make the triple crown. My opinion of course.

Cigar, The Doctor and Forego NEVER won the Kentucky Derby. Two geldings out of three for the best of all time? Cigar was not technically a gelding but look it up. He's in a horse park. Hell I could enter myself in the Triple Crown. Who cares? The Triple Crown 2nd leg was won by Rachel Alexandra last year. Nothing is set in stone. Ruffian for example never competed. Secretariat had his little 1973 party. and so on and so on. Don't talk at all about Triple Crown non winners and then what? The best horses of "all time" up to this point are all dead for whatever and various reasons, with the afore mentioned three NOT included. Maybe it's best for us all to enjoy the beauty before us now and forget-- or at least leave the past where it belongs. We'll never know who the best ever was because nobody can race against Ruffian anymore.
I'm not certain we're on the same page of the discussion. I actually have no idea how your post is related to mine. I was simply stating that many horses who are considered great either never ran in the TC series, never won a TC race, or only distinquished themselves well after the TC series. That all I was saying. Does winning a TC make you great?? Yes, I believe so. However, there are many ways to become great, and it could very well be that a horse that won a TC would have become great in another manner. A great horse is a great horse regardless of the name of the race.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #65
kenwoodallpromos

Injuries

This year some of te horses with the top speed ratings are falling (thankfully not literally) by the wayside due to injury.
As a side note, Endorsement was injured at CD workout following 2 works on Kee plubber. Many others have run multiple times on Plubber. So are total breakdowns being avoided or is the fake stuff hurting some just enough to be a no-show?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #66
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston
This Derby might go in 2:06.
and after looking at some prelim figures........there might be 6 of them in a photo for the win............
Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #67
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
I'm not certain we're on the same page of the discussion. I actually have no idea how your post is related to mine. I was simply stating that many horses who are considered great either never ran in the TC series, never won a TC race, or only distinquished themselves well after the TC series. That all I was saying. Does winning a TC make you great?? Yes, I believe so. However, there are many ways to become great, and it could very well be that a horse that won a TC would have become great in another manner. A great horse is a great horse regardless of the name of the race.
I completely agree-- Win the Triple Crown and definitely you're Great, but if you don't other factors come into play. Man o' War didn't win the Triple Crown but Secretariat did. Who's better? Ruffian didn't even get involved. Who's better?

We will never know.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #68
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

just a little aside/joke, I recently had someone tell me Seabiscuit beat Man o' War in a match race! People will believe what they want, I can't stop that.

Did Bayakoa beat Go For Wand in the Breeders' Cup Distaff? Sadly yes, she did.

Last edited by Buckeye; 04-28-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #69
MNslappy

I'll tell ya what would've made this year's field more interesting...
Chip Woolley
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply