Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
whobet
TheComputerGuy Retired

Video: Horse Deaths / Michael Gill on E60

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=514...goryid=3060647
whobet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
QuarterCrack

That was a great story - thanks.
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
davefulche

Michael Gill on E60

Anybody catch this story?? One day there will be mainstream journalists out there that have the knowledge and moxie to attack this subject. I loved when I believe it was the congressmen who said Penn national should have looked into whether it was the track or jockey possibly causing these breakdowns. So many jockey related breakdowns now-adays... Also it appears the Penn National mafia has threatened Michael Gill for doing the interview with ESPN. I knew Penn National wouldn't speak on the subject since they don't have anyone working there competent enough to handle it. Plus since it isn't slot-related they really don't care.

I wish they would have talked about all the Gill horses still running out there at Philly Penn and Mountaineer.

Maybe mention all the taps and nerve blocks or maybe that's too much for the public to understand.

yes Gill won the most purse money, but he also spent the most on claims..anyone's thoughts on gill and the E60 story??
davefulche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

here's the 11min. segment

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5140842
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
kenwoodallpromos

"whether" it was the track or jockey "possibly"

Politico adversarial trash talk!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Ejmenz

23 jockeys can't be wrong.
Ejmenz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
born2ride

Gills' breakdown rate was much higher than higher owners, it certainly seems like something was amiss with his horses. If the track condition itself was to blame, wouldn't other owners horses be breaking down at a much higher rate? One would think so. I don't think Gill is the only one at fault here, but being an owner myself, it was hard to hear him say he's not responsible for his horses health and welfare. I can't fathom thinking or feeling that way at all.
born2ride is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
bane

The book "Not By A Long Shot" goes into depth on Gill as well.

I'll get some heat for this but the man should just get into Quarter Horse Racing because everything this man does is accepted in QH Racing.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
snoadog

Anyone read the Jim Squires book mentioned?
snoadog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
bobbyt62

what does he do (or do you think he does) that's legal in QH racing ? btw, way different way to look at part of the problem--------selection bias type of problem : that is, he seems to be the sole entity in regards to acquisition of horse flesh, then he delegates (and fires........an equine george steinbrenner) daily chores to others.......maybe his selection method is prone to picking horses that break down a lot. i'm not gonna use whole names, but a MNR trainer --Ro. Mo. ----is a claimer/buyer just by looking at the form, and i ran a formulator on him a few years back and he seemed to have a fairly high rate of breakdowns. maybe certain methods of selection lead to more inherently unstable horses. based on his business history and his list of trainers he's gone through, i don't think he takes anyones' counsel but his own.
bobbyt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
kenwoodallpromos

Check this out for Gill's horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt62
what does he do (or do you think he does) that's legal in QH racing ? btw, way different way to look at part of the problem--------selection bias type of problem : that is, he seems to be the sole entity in regards to acquisition of horse flesh, then he delegates (and fires........an equine george steinbrenner) daily chores to others.......maybe his selection method is prone to picking horses that break down a lot. i'm not gonna use whole names, but a MNR trainer --Ro. Mo. ----is a claimer/buyer just by looking at the form, and i ran a formulator on him a few years back and he seemed to have a fairly high rate of breakdowns. maybe certain methods of selection lead to more inherently unstable horses. based on his business history and his list of trainers he's gone through, i don't think he takes anyones' counsel but his own.

DANGER SIGNS A RACEHORSE MAY HAVE A LEG/FOOT PROBLEM:

D eclining speed

N egative PP comments

F ront wraps

01) More than 3 months' layoff between races.

02) 2 or more gaps in racing frequency of more than 6 weeks.

03) 3 or more consecutive races with gaps of 2 weeks or less.

04) 2 or more consecutive unusually slow workouts.

05) Lugging, drifting, swerving more than once within 1 or 2 races, especially on turns.

06) Awkwardness while trying to switch leads.

07) Excessive bobbing while running, (like a merry-go-round pony).

08) Any problems leaving the gate in a race.

09) 5 or older stretching out or shipping to a slower pars track (wearing down).

10) Losing normal early speed.

11) Lung infection (possible parallel sign of overwork).

12) New front wraps.

13) 1 month of racing while showing no works.

14) Alteration of training or racing regimen.

15) more than 19 1/2 furlongs of workouts and/or races within 30 days.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
bane

My remark is not what is legal in QH racing but what is over looked.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
lamboguy

Penn National has the very best and safest dirt racing surface in North America from what i have seen and have been told. i have a few 2 yo's training on that surface right now as we speak and am very pleased with the place. no splints, bucked shins or tyups or any other type of injury so far, unlike last year i got an educaction on horse injury's at santa anita. i got last year broke tivia's, cannon bones, soft tissue injury's out on the west coast.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Horseplayersbet.com

What bothers me about Philly and Penn is that they don't test for milkshakes, or at least this is what I read in the Paulick Report.
It makes me wonder why some outfits seem to hang out at those two tracks versus going to other tracks that have slots and high purses.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
takeout

Shakes

I wonder how much they add to Pennsylvania’s “tiny” 31% tri takeout??

My favorite part of the Paulick piece:
[snip]
Believed to be rampant in some states despite rules that prohibited the practice, widespread testing for TCO2 levels in Thoroughbreds didn’t begin until 2005. It has slowed the illegal practice down where testing is in place. But Pennsylvania is not one of those places.

As a result, one horse owner told me recently, you could literally trip over all the tubes on the backstretch of a Pennsylvania racetrack.
[snip]
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/pe...ettors-beware/
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: