Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
Milkshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Mark and Nancy should be working a better track. They would be great a larger venue.
I respectfully disagree. They are outstanding for their local knowledge and their understated but casual tone is a great fit for that particular venue.

But put them in the paddock at Saratoga or Del Mar and ask them to banter back and forth like that? It wouldn't fly.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker
I respectfully disagree. They are outstanding for their local knowledge and their understated but casual tone is a great fit for that particular venue.

But put them in the paddock at Saratoga or Del Mar and ask them to banter back and forth like that? It wouldn't fly.
I think they would adapt
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
molson721

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Mark won't bust balls. He's classier than that. Everybody has their preferences.

Mark and Nancy should be working a better track. They would be great a larger venue.
I'm not criticizing Mark and Nancy, I just wonder why they keep talking so close to post time. Give the people a few minutes to digest what they say instead of talking so close to post time. I don't want to have to mute the volume because I listen for the announcer to let me know how close they are to post.

I never listen to on track handicappers because I find they can screw up your own handicapping but of all tracks, I don't know of any where they keep throwing stuff at you so close to post time like they do at mountaineer.
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
cutchemist42

Love the Mtn handicapping show, part of the reason why its really the only nighttime track I handicap beside Canterbury nights.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
brdman12

I always have the sound down when I play online. I barely want to hear so I know when the horses take off. I like mountaineer but the odds have big drops late, way too many scratches so you cant handicap ahead of time, but usually have more than 6 or 7 horses running...not one of my favourite tracks, but we of few good choices....
brdman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #21
davew

Mark and Nancy have been doing the show for a long time (20-30 years?)

They have some funny tote action there and they are pretty good at picking out show jumpers weak picks.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #22
netbet

I love playing Mountaineer and I love listening to Mark and Nancy. If you want to learn handicapping and gather some information about the local product, you won't find a better team.

I also wish they would speak a little louder or maybe raise the mic volume.

Mountainman, any chance of you and/or Nancy joining Twitter?

Thanks.
netbet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #23
HUSKER55

I like Mark and Nancy, good commentary.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #24
mountainman

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I've been referred to so many times as underrated, that I'm pretty sure I'm now overrated.

In response to a few pertinent comments: 1) YES, we do talk too close to post, and the problem has been exacerbated by a shortened time-period between races. But we are working hard to get out sooner.

2) OF COURSE I could adapt and do a less conversational show. In fact, I'm a hardcore handicapper and sometimes fear I bombard viewers with info that's a bit too arcane(or subtle), so I do try to lighten it up from time to time. Also, my boss endorses my edgy outspokenness and unpredictable nature on the air. And she wants the show to entertain just a bit, as well as inform.

3) The sound guy adjusted my mike last night. It was set too low. So please let me know if I continue to come across muffled. BELIEVE ME, as those who have visited the studio will attest, I talk plenty loud.

4) I'm close to taking the twitter plunge. Please, god, don't let me be TOO blunt.

5) While I like to think I'd be more than just another analyst if I worked elsewhere, I freely admit my foremost asset is deep local knowledge of a longstanding nature.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #25
letswastemoney

The sound mic was too low. It was like listening to a golf tournament most days.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply