Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Hofburg

Watching some replays he looks like a very small horse. Sometimes its hard to tell and maybe im wrong but can anyone validate this for me? Wonder how bouncing around effects him being undersized at the same time maybe he is very nimble and agile enough to find a way thru. food for thought.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Watching some replays he looks like a very small horse. Sometimes its hard to tell and maybe im wrong but can anyone validate this for me? Wonder how bouncing around effects him being undersized at the same time maybe he is very nimble and agile enough to find a way thru. food for thought.
He has a couple recent workouts with Good Samaritan. He doesn't look as thick as GS but doesn't look much smaller. I tried comparing the wire shot in FL Derby and will say he looks smaller than Audible but not by much. However, I find it hard to judge unless I'm there in person.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
minethatbird08

Okay, now you have me watching the 2017 JC Gold Cup and Keen Ice is clearly bigger than GS. Keen Ice looked like one of the larger horses in that one.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #4
dballard125

I dont know what to do with Hofburg yet. His last 3 Beyers have progressively improved (60, 83, 94 last out). He has Buckpasser X. And his final times in the Florida Derby fit the angles as well (37.72 last 3/8 & 12.69 final 1/8).

Must use in the exotics, right?
dballard125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 AM   #5
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballard125 View Post
I dont know what to do with Hofburg yet. His last 3 Beyers have progressively improved (60, 83, 94 last out). He has Buckpasser X. And his final times in the Florida Derby fit the angles as well (37.72 last 3/8 & 12.69 final 1/8).

Must use in the exotics, right?
I'm probably using in the exacta and trifecta, actually.

Mott hasn't had great luck in the Derby but I like this one.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 01:21 AM   #6
dballard125

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I'm probably using in the exacta and trifecta, actually.

Mott hasn't had great luck in the Derby but I like this one.
I do too. Think he could take another step forward off of that 94 Beyer last out, and pop a big one in Louisville to be a win candidate?

Or think he's strictly an underneath play?
dballard125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
boys at tosconova

i know there's some droolers out there,.....so let the drooling begin
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
minethatbird08

I'm most likely using him. I don't think we will get enough pace for him to win but I'll cover him in all three spots. So far I think his works with Good Samaritan have looked good, GS is a decent horse to boot.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Sometimes a horse like him runs for a piece, and gets a dream trip and clunks up for 2nd or 3rd in the Derby.

Worries me that this crop is a little tougher than usual, and there are a bunch of stretch-runners and closers. Combatant and Instilled Regard just replaced 2 horses who probably were not factors in that category, so even harder today than yesterday...

After seeing his wide debut, I keyed him in the Florida Derby, but i didn't see enough visually to love him. I'm also down on his recent work.

If you happen to like the horse, by all means go for it! Big price, lightly raced...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
f2tornado

Normally I’d play a horse like this heavily underneath based on the Buckpasser/fractions angle alone. Problem this year is most of the fast fractions horses have Buckpasser. There is only room for three in the trifecta. If you like Audible then you probably should like Hofburg. If I use them at all on top it will be via a secondary wager keying my two two in the middle of a trifecta.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
tjfla

Liked him to hit the board until Combatant made it in. Lightly raced trying to get thru 19 others is rough

3/4 hard this year-have 4 horses who are exactly same(Hofburg,Combatant,MBJ,Lone Sailor)
tjfla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
LoneF
Veteran

His career debut was in all reality the race where he broke his maiden from the 12 hole at Gulfstream. Technically it was the race early in 2017 but he didn’t run a step in that one and they promptly put him on the shelf for 7 months . No idea what happened there but the horse got zip out of it and Mott never trained or raced him after that for 7 months so it’s like it never happened.

Hofburg comes out of the gate and wins from impossible post and less than ideal trip. The education the horse got out of that race was invaluable . The performance was so good it puts him on the derby trail.

Validates the huge maiden win by taking a big jump forward and running a game 2nd to top tier horse Audible. Another big jump forward which is very possible with this lightly raced of a horse puts him right there with every horse not named Mendelssohn.

ALOT to like with Hofburg ...

Last edited by LoneF; 04-24-2018 at 12:03 PM.
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
His career debut was in all reality the race where he broke his maiden from the 12 hole at Gulfstream. Technically it was the race early in 2017 but he didn’t run a step in that one and they promptly put him on the shelf for 7 months . No idea what happened there but the horse got zip out of it and Mott never trained or raced him after that for 7 months so it’s like it never happened.

Hofburg comes out of the gate and wins from impossible post and less than ideal trip. The education the horse got out of that race was invaluable . The performance was so good it puts him on the derby trail.

Validates the huge maiden win by taking a big jump forward and running a game 2nd to top tier horse Audible. Another big jump forward which is very possible with this lightly raced of a horse puts him right there with every horse not named Mendelssohn.

ALOT to like with Hofburg ...
https://thisishorseracing.com/news/i...with-bill-mott

Small excerpt (from Mott) in this article about Hofburg whe he was still unraced.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #14
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
I hope Justify wins the Preakness and Hofburg is then entered in the Belmont. I would love Hofburg in the Belmont.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
clicknow

I hope Lone Sailor goes in the Belmont.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: