Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-11-2023, 12:36 AM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I get it that he had a history. It's just that when I was 19, I was driving home from work one day at 4:00 in the afternoon during rush hour on the expressway when I fell asleep and cut across two lanes of traffic. I woke up to blaring horns but by some miracle, never hit anyone. I had only gotten 2 hrs of sleep the night before because I had been driving most of the night. I had felt perfectly fine all day and had just gotten on the expressway. Scared the shit out of me and it never happened again.

I thought I had read that Tiger had insomnia but you are correct, it certainly could have been something other than a lack of sleep.
Highway hypnosis real.

https://www.anapolweiss.com/what-is-highway-hypnosis/
Old 04-11-2023, 11:19 AM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I love the senior tour!

Old 04-11-2023, 11:25 AM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I think Tiger had visions of being the second coming of Ben Hogan.

It doesn’t look like that will happen.

I think he’ll do well on the senior tour
Seriously doubt he will play much on the senior tour outside maybe the majors.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 11:27 AM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
yes, it kind of does...now why? Maybe he passed out from something other than a lack of sleep...after all, this happened during the day, did it not?
Early morning I believe.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 11:34 AM   #20
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
It’s an obvious comparison if you know your golf history. Stop “LOL” you look like a fool.

Dave, great post. I never thought about it that way.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL - Zero comparison.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #21
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The analogy was explained. Why be stubborn?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 12:50 PM   #22
myohmyjustify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Cry me a river, the solo car accident that caused his condition was reckless driving while high, no sympathy from me. Glad he was the only one hurt.

Thank you for bringing this up, Inner Dirt.

Tiger Woods is a menace to society and he has been given a free pass on the many occasions he drove while stoned and out of sorts.

Last time, after bringing up his past history and being the lone dissenter of his conduct, I was told to 'just admit you don't like Tiger...' by a know-it-all fanboy who totally ignored Tiger's history of bad behavior of driving while stoned on drugs. Prescribed or not, when you get stoned to the point of recklessness by drugs, it's no good. And repeated such offenses is inexcusable which Tiger had frequently or is it repeatedly.

I sadly predict there will be another such irresponsible and dangerous incident in our future pertaining to Tiger Woods and his driving habits. And there will be idiots all over the media and on social media 'splaining it all away as just 'Tiger's difficulties of having to retire too soon due to a bad back or neck or ear lobe or wrist, name anything you wish.' The naive and idiot Tiger fanboys will be coming out in droves. Again. Sadly.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 01:06 PM   #23
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by myohmyjustify View Post
Thank you for bringing this up, Inner Dirt.

Tiger Woods is a menace to society and he has been given a free pass on the many occasions he drove while stoned and out of sorts.

Last time, after bringing up his past history and being the lone dissenter of his conduct, I was told to 'just admit you don't like Tiger...' by a know-it-all fanboy who totally ignored Tiger's history of bad behavior of driving while stoned on drugs. Prescribed or not, when you get stoned to the point of recklessness by drugs, it's no good. And repeated such offenses is inexcusable which Tiger had frequently or is it repeatedly.

I sadly predict there will be another such irresponsible and dangerous incident in our future pertaining to Tiger Woods and his driving habits. And there will be idiots all over the media and on social media 'splaining it all away as just 'Tiger's difficulties of having to retire too soon due to a bad back or neck or ear lobe or wrist, name anything you wish.' The naive and idiot Tiger fanboys will be coming out in droves. Again. Sadly.
I saw it exactly as you did.
And I agree with you... to a great extent.

He paid the price for his actions.
Basically, he lost his world.

I mean the guy was the greatest golfer on the planet - and (arguably) on the way to being the greatest in history.

He allowed his success to destroy him.

The guy went from being a Legend in His Own Time to being average.

Imagine what that would be like.
That's somewhat like putting every person convicted of a DUI in prison for life.

My belief is that he paid for his crimes and deserves another chance.

The guy has shown amazing tenacity in pursuing his comeback, and my understanding (which is very superficial) is that he's trying hard to build back both his profession and personal life.

Therefore, I root for him to become The GreatestComeback Player of All Time.

Your mileage may differ.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 01:33 PM   #24
headhawg
crusty old guy

Just to play devil's advocate...

People love to name someone as the GOAT for a particular sport, but it's impossible to compare athletes playing in different time periods. Dave mentioned that Hogan dominated in a smaller world. I would argue that Hogan, Arnie, Jack, Watson, Snead, etc could also dominate today if they used the same equipment that today's players have.

If you want to root for Woods that's fine, but I don't see him as any kind of upstanding citizen so I choose not to. It appears that Jack's record will not be broken and I am fine with that. Here's a link to an article that sums up the troubles that Woods has brought upon himself: Woods' Legal Troubles
Old 04-11-2023, 01:38 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I get it that he had a history. It's just that when I was 19, I was driving home from work one day at 4:00 in the afternoon during rush hour on the expressway when I fell asleep and cut across two lanes of traffic. I woke up to blaring horns but by some miracle, never hit anyone. I had only gotten 2 hrs of sleep the night before because I had been driving most of the night. I had felt perfectly fine all day and had just gotten on the expressway. Scared the shit out of me and it never happened again.

I thought I had read that Tiger had insomnia but you are correct, it certainly could have been something other than a lack of sleep.

Were you driving double the speed limit while tired? You were also 19 and a one time offender.
Tiger was in his 40's and a multiple asleep at the wheel offender.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 04-11-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 04:10 PM   #26
proximity

i have heard before that his training pyramid kinda got flipped around with stew smith style navy seal fitness training creeping closer and closer to being the base of his training?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 04:33 PM   #27
Inner Dirt

Tiger Woods is a billionaire, I am sure he could well afford a staff of drivers to make sure he never gets behind the wheel when he is loaded. I also have a fused lower spine. I played one 9 over par round with it and promptly donated my clubs. I am sure I have taken all the same drugs Tiger has, a person needs to realize you should only take enough meds to make the pain bearable with a bad back or you won't be very functional.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:47 PM   #28
myohmyjustify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I saw it exactly as you did.
And I agree with you... to a great extent.

He paid the price for his actions.
Basically, he lost his world.

I mean the guy was the greatest golfer on the planet - and (arguably) on the way to being the greatest in history.

He allowed his success to destroy him.

The guy went from being a Legend in His Own Time to being average.

Imagine what that would be like.
That's somewhat like putting every person convicted of a DUI in prison for life.

My belief is that he paid for his crimes and deserves another chance.

The guy has shown amazing tenacity in pursuing his comeback, and my understanding (which is very superficial) is that he's trying hard to build back both his profession and personal life.

Therefore, I root for him to become The GreatestComeback Player of All Time.

Your mileage may differ.

I always appreciate your thoughts and contributions to PA. Thanks Dave.

If Tiger gets his game back and his physical issues are behind him, I have no issue if he becomes the top guy on the senior circuit. I just don't want him behind the wheel if he's loaded up on pharmaceuticals. And I am doubly sick and tired of the fanboys in the media and in the business world making excuses for him and his dangerous behavior.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2023, 07:15 PM   #29
Inner Dirt

I have went from not liking Tiger and rooting against him, to rooting for him, and now I am back to rooting against him. I just did not like his personality and behavior on the links. Then when he became a fellow person who had their spine fused and knowing fused lower spines and golf don't mix, I was pulling for him to beat the odds. The abuse of prescription medication and driving loaded turned me against him. People that abuse pain medication have made it hard for those that need it do function to get it.
Old 04-22-2023, 12:40 AM   #30
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Just to play devil's advocate...

People love to name someone as the GOAT for a particular sport, but it's impossible to compare athletes playing in different time periods. Dave mentioned that Hogan dominated in a smaller world. I would argue that Hogan, Arnie, Jack, Watson, Snead, etc could also dominate today if they used the same equipment that today's players have.

If you want to root for Woods that's fine, but I don't see him as any kind of upstanding citizen so I choose not to. It appears that Jack's record will not be broken and I am fine with that. Here's a link to an article that sums up the troubles that Woods has brought upon himself: Woods' Legal Troubles
Good post
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply