Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-11-2018, 11:55 PM   #31
MargieRose

Is there any deli in any grocery store that doesn't offer free 'samples' of any sliced meat just for the asking? So, this employee either worked in the deli and took a few free samples for herself (the ones that customers never asked for), or she could just have easily gone over to the deli and asked for a sample or two, and I can't imagine that the behind-the-counter employee would not have obliged.

If she actually is going to be prosecuted, she should ask for a jury trial and then settle out of court for lawyers' fees and damages.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #32
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Is there any deli in any grocery store that doesn't offer free 'samples' of any sliced meat just for the asking? So, this employee either worked in the deli and took a few free samples for herself (the ones that customers never asked for), or she could just have easily gone over to the deli and asked for a sample or two, and I can't imagine that the behind-the-counter employee would not have obliged.

If she actually is going to be prosecuted, she should ask for a jury trial and then settle out of court for lawyers' fees and damages.
I had the impression that she worked in the deli herself.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #33
mostpost

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...-deli-ham.html
According to this and several other sources, a felony charge is very unlikely. I should have known better than to trust Dan Bernstein. (Thask will know what that means.)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #34
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
This happened somewhere on the East Coast, not sure where. A woman has been charged with felony theft for stealing $9,020 worth of product from the grocery store where she worked. She accomplished this by eating three to five slices of ham on the job each day over the course of more than twenty years.

My question for you is, if you were on the jury and the evidence showed that she had indeed done this, would you find her guilty?
Funny, I was just at my local grocery deli yesterday and the young woman serving me after going over my 1/2 and 3/4 lb. requests by almost 40-50% just threw the excess back onto the slicer to throw away. Most of the clerks will drop it back onto your order rather than throw it away. So it was around noon, and I thought to myself, I'd probably eat some of that rather than toss it out. So hopefully the judge goes with no jail time.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #35
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Funny, I was just at my local grocery deli yesterday and the young woman serving me after going over my 1/2 and 3/4 lb. requests by almost 40-50% just threw the excess back onto the slicer to throw away. Most of the clerks will drop it back onto your order rather than throw it away. So it was around noon, and I thought to myself, I'd probably eat some of that rather than toss it out. So hopefully the judge goes with no jail time.
I'd say she needs to practice. Occasionally my order will be over by a little, but never by 40-50%. They will usually ask if I want the extra and I always say yes. I assume that I am paying for the extra, but have never really checked.