Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 09-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Form W-2G

Remington Park

I've only bet Rem on a handful of occasions in the past. A few nights ago I was reviewing Brisnet's "At a Glance," specifically Avg. Win Odds, for many popular tracks. It was then that I noticed Remington's astronomical avg. win odds and took a closer look. I then realized the Thoroughbred season had just begun at that venue and the stats being reported reflected only 3 or so racing days. I made a mental note to revisit. I did so yesterday and found the average win odds to be a juicy $6.65 to 1 with a sample size of 51 races taking place between opening day (8/24) through 9/1 (6 racing days).

I downloaded the card and handicapped 2 races that I believed to be playable (i.e., consistent with my handicapping style .. 5 or more running lines ... and post time before my east coast bedtime ). The following reflects win prices for each of 9 races run yesterday:

$3.20
$28.60
$8.00
$39.20
$20.40
$55.40
$43.20
$6.80
$3.80

Average $2 win price $23.17.

I had the winner in the 4th race paying $39.20 based in part on the horse having best last 5 Bris Race Ratings. First notable score since returning from my handicapping hiatus a few years ago and certainly a confidence builder.

What gives with this track? Are such prices typical? Thoughts? Angles?
Form W-2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
wisconsin

Longshots are way underbet in exacta pools, especially when running 2nd.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form W-2G View Post

What gives with this track? Are such prices typical? Thoughts? Angles?
I'm just starting to look at the new season, no bets yet. Mostly large fields, 9-10 horses, which is always good for prices. Typically this early in the season, especially in cheap claiming races, horses are coming from a lot of different tracks. A 10 horse field might have horses that raced at 5 or 6 different tracks last out, which makes them harder to compare. And they are coming from secondary tracks (at best) like Lone Star, Prairie Meadows, Arapaho, Canterbury, etc. And a lot from the dreaded FMT (Tulsa), which does not time splits, only the final time.

I played it last year, with few bets during the first weeks, and found it formful and playable once everything got settled in. Good size fields late into the year, and good betting opportunities in my range. I am a win bettor, and rarely play a horse below 5/2 odds.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Form W-2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
A 10 horse field might have horses that raced at 5 or 6 different tracks last out, which makes them harder to compare.
Makes sense. I've just returned to horse playing after being away for about 10 years. Back then I would download Mnr (first post 7PM) in the morning and handicap during work breaks and lunch. At the time they ran pretty much all year with the exception of a few weeks during most severe winter period. The situation you describe, with van loads of horses shipping in from all over the place, would occur a couple times a year at Mnr if I recall correctly. This made for some real challenging handicapping and some huge scores.

Speaking of Mnr, horses breaking from the 10 hole at Mnr at a flat mile would almost always get caught wide back then from what I recall. Every morning first thing I'd scour the program hoping to find a morning line favorite running 8f breaking from the 10 hole.
Form W-2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form W-2G View Post
The situation you describe, with van loads of horses shipping in from all over the place, would occur a couple times a year at Mnr if I recall correctly. This made for some real challenging handicapping and some huge scores.

Everything is a trade-off. I prefer races where the horses have run on the same track against similar talent (or lack thereof). The trade-off is the big scores are harder to find.

For this time of year, two favorites are Remington for October and November, and transition into Turf Paradise which opens in mid October and runs until early May.

If you have been away for a while, you will find that PPs are generally available for download at least a day or two ahead. If you don't care about the Beyer speed figures, Bris PPs are $1 a card on-line.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Rain has been hurting the field size at Remington but it really is a great meet to play in my opinion. I try to go in person at least once a week, nice track.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2018, 04:40 AM   #7
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Rain has been hurting the field size at Remington but it really is a great meet to play in my opinion. I try to go in person at least once a week, nice track.
that place is great! if i lived there i'd be there every day.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
Clocker

Just as a minor side issue, anyone know why they run so late? First post is at 7PM local time (8pm on the east coast), which puts the last race at around 11 PM (midnight in the east). Other night racing tracks that I have seen usually start around 5:30 or 6PM local time. Is Remington geared toward the west coast market?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Probably has to do with the deals they have in place with TVG.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

About 20yrs ago when I first started making my own pace & speed figs I absolutely loved RP. For some reason, my numbers just worked there. The top 4f pace fig in sprints was money in the bank.
Then I fell in love with NY racing....how tragic LOLOL

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: