Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
spiketoo

Turf Paradise - THIS is a track that should be shutdown

Not specifically germane to breakdowns. And you wont see PETA involved here because SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE (Edward G's last movie tho I think Chuck Heston uttered the line).

I remember reading that track management cancelled the last race back on March 26th due to a jock being thrown in the previous race and therefore an ambulance wasn't available to monitor the final race. Well according to this article in the local fishwrap it was the jocks who decided not to ride the last race because there is NO AMBULANCE available during the races. There are paramedics in an SUV but no stretcher for transport where necessitated. They have to call the local FD and it took approx 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive.

This is just incredulous - how can this guy run a plant (think he also has another job as a City Manager somewhere - gawd help that city):

'The lack of an ambulance is viewed by some horsemen as a cost-cutting measure. Arizona's Administrative Code says racing licensees "shall provide" an ambulance at each track for morning workouts and races.

[GM]Francia said he was not aware of the provision.'

Just crazy stuff from a buncha klowns there.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ce/3429259002/
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
yesman3000

cheap!!!!!!!!
yesman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
deelo

At our tiny track out in the midwest no one's even heard of, i've seen plenty of post delays because they don't race unless an ambulance is on site. I just figured this was basic protocol everywhere. shame on TUP
Old 04-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Can't remember the last race card to get completed at TuP without at least one timer malfunction.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
HalvOnHorseracing

In the 80's my brother and I took a week in March to go to TuP. Nice track, pretty backdrop and the kind of races we were used to handicapping. (We also spent weekends at Raton or Cheyenne, but that's another story). Sometimes it would get cold, like 55 degrees and local people would walk around with Arctic coats on.

It used to be a well run track. The Simms Brothers, who bought the track from R.D. Hubbard in 2000, started out well enough with some renovations, but eventually didn't keep up with the expectations of horsemen and the public. The saga of the Simms brothers is also another sad story.

The one thing I thought was great was the horse swimming pool. A trainer that I knew took one of his horses to swim because workouts on the dirt left the horse a little sore. This particular trainer was very good about only putting sound and ready horses in races. I think a lot more tracks should have a horse swimming pool. The get the necessary work without the potential of breaking down. (And no, I don't know if any horses drowned)

What can I say. It's generally not betable these days, but I have some good memories of the track.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
In the 80's my brother and I took a week in March to go to TuP. Nice track, pretty backdrop and the kind of races we were used to handicapping. (We also spent weekends at Raton or Cheyenne, but that's another story). Sometimes it would get cold, like 55 degrees and local people would walk around with Arctic coats on.

It used to be a well run track. The Simms Brothers, who bought the track from R.D. Hubbard in 2000, started out well enough with some renovations, but eventually didn't keep up with the expectations of horsemen and the public. The saga of the Simms brothers is also another sad story.

The one thing I thought was great was the horse swimming pool. A trainer that I knew took one of his horses to swim because workouts on the dirt left the horse a little sore. This particular trainer was very good about only putting sound and ready horses in races. I think a lot more tracks should have a horse swimming pool. The get the necessary work without the potential of breaking down. (And no, I don't know if any horses drowned)

What can I say. It's generally not betable sic these days, but I have some good memories of the track.

Even the 7-furlong grass races (which TuP runs) are not bettable?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Like today. 7 1/2 F Turf race, seven starters, 3-5 favorite wins the race. $18 ex, $18 Q, $48 Tri. If you bet the race perfectly and put enough money into it you'll leave with a little bit of money. But you can't count on it every time.

If TuP is your main track, I'm sure you know more about it than I do. I don't think it's anywhere near what it used to be.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
GMB@BP

I get the whole ambulance issue for being shut down...but it should be shuttered due to the draconian takeout on just about every bet they offer.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Blanket statements like that are not accurate.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I get the whole ambulance issue for being shut down...but it should be shuttered due to the draconian takeout on just about every bet they offer.
As long as you are losing, it makes no difference, so you can still enjoy the track!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Blanket statements like that are not accurate.

The only "blanket statement" I was attempting to make was that TuP is one of the few tracks with a 7-furlong turf course inside a mile main track that has a history of running 7-furlong turf races. Mountaineer Park also runs them, as does Fort Erie.

A few other tracks have run such races once or twice, including The Racetrack Formerly Known As Calder (i.e. Gulfstream Park West) and the dear, departed Bay Meadows.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
johnhannibalsmith

Seven and a half or "about" seven and a half (rail out). No straight seven-eighths.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Seven and a half or "about" seven and a half (rail out). No straight seven-eighths.

Contraire, mon frere!

https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqb...trk=TUP&cy=USA
Old 05-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
castaway01

Quote:
Might want to check the years on those track records....
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #15
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Might want to check the years on those track records....
Ditto. TuP has been one of my winter tracks for some years now, and I have never seen a 7f race on the turf.

They also run routes on the turf at 1m, 1 1/16m and rarely, 1 1/8m, all starting from a chute that is inside the turf course.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: