Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #61
The Judge

Curlin

Must agree with 46zilzal on this, the horse hasn't had enought races. How many horses has he beat what adversity has he over-come. The chances of him getting a clean trip in the Derby won't likely happen.

Has he run his top number, at some point 3 year olds will throw in a bad race. Too many questions for me. Unless you think he is a super horse but his numbers are only good not super, so he doesn't appear to be the 2nd coming of "Big Red".

Its not a question of history its a just that the horse isn't ready for a ruff,tuff race with 3 year olds who have been pointed for this race since they were 2 year olds right after the Breeders Cup.

Is it possible for the horse to win, yes, is it likely, no.

Last edited by The Judge; 05-02-2007 at 12:10 PM.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #62
46zilzal
velocitician

Final time means zip. It is how they match up TODAY....not yesterday.

Medalia D'Oro another one with only 4 lifetime starts on Derby day

Last edited by 46zilzal; 05-02-2007 at 12:21 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #63
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge
Must agree with 46zilzal on this, the horse hasn't had enought races. How many horses has he beat what adversity has he over-come. The chances of him getting a clean trip in the Derby won't likely happen.

Has he run his top number, at some point 3 year olds will throw in a bad race. Too many questions for me. Unless you think he is a super horse but his numbers are only good not super, so he doesn't appear to be the 2nd coming of "Big Red".

Its not a question of history its a just that the horse isn't ready for a ruff,tuff race with 3 year olds who have been pointed for this race since they were 2 year olds right after the Breeders Cup.

Is it possible for the horse to win, yes, is it likely, no.
That is a very reasonable post IMHO…

Doesn’t mean it will be proven correct on this individual day, but the “lack of adversity” angle is much underrated IMO. Not to mention it was stated without foaming at the mouth, which is always appreciated.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #64
gIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
That is a very reasonable post IMHO…

Doesn’t mean it will be proven correct on this individual day, but the “lack of adversity” angle is much underrated IMO. Not to mention it was stated without foaming at the mouth, which is always appreciated.

that I can agree with. I will admit curlin has not ever been punched back. but you can race 10 times and if they are all creampuff races, what have you really done?
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #65
Cratos

Curlin Should Match Up Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
Final time means zip. It is how they match up TODAY....not yesterday.

Medalia D'Oro another one with only 4 lifetime starts on Derby day
Thoroughbreds are bred as part of a class continuum and somewhere within that continuum through competition they will find where they belong or where they don’t belong.

On Saturday May 5th at Churchill Downs Curlin will have the opportunity to define where he belongs if only for one day?

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #66
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos

On Saturday May 5th at Churchill Downs Curlin will have the opportunity to define where he belongs if only for one day?
Can't argue with that. Sink or swim.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #67
SMOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
Can't argue with that. Sink or swim.
From what will be a crappy post. I still like him but now not as much.
SMOO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #68
crownx

Heck I like his post.. groundsaving trip right behind the rabbits... He just got a bump up on my tickets and I didnt like him prior, if the odds move to 6-1 he's value.. history be history
crownx is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #69
Jinxed
Veteran

My Longshot..

Working holes in the wind...huge price...my money goes on Hard Spun.
Jinxed
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #70
gIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownx
Heck I like his post.. groundsaving trip right behind the rabbits... He just got a bump up on my tickets and I didnt like him prior, if the odds move to 6-1 he's value.. history be history

after watching his races, I see EXACTLY why he picked the 2 hole, becuase his cruising speed is to the point where he won't get boxed back and he gets a shorter trip without having to come over. he has enough natural speed to get enough position without using all of his engergy... look at how close he was to deadly dealer in the arkansas derby for more than half the race without being asked to do anything.. he was no more than 2 lenghts off of a pure sprinter and when was asked to go had plenty left in the reserve
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 AM   #71
JPinMaryland

I agree, Curlin's post is fine for him.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #72
DirtTrack
DirtRoadGamblers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
I agree, Curlin's post is fine for him.
Should have been fine but thanks to a bad gate break and poor ride in middle of track behind a wall it was not.
May have had a chance if stayed on the rail but SS and HS did romp the field

@ least I used Curlin in bottom of tri (boxed) and getting 3rd in KD is never a bad thing.

Preakness should be interesting...
DirtTrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #73
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Bad gate break? Curlin broke perfectly....especially given the fact that Zanjero (coincidentally also trained by Asmussen) broke towards the outside when the gates opened.

Curlin couldn't have gotten a cleaner break if he wanted to....he just wasn't fast enough to outrun the other speed horses in the first 1/16th of a mile to secure a better position.

I thought he would show a little more speed and get a cleaner trip, especially from his inside post.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-07-2007 at 06:24 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #74
JPinMaryland

Yeah the break appeared to be clean for all. I was suprised how much speed out of the gate Sedgfield has.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #75
joeyspicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I thought he would show a little more speed and get a cleaner trip, especially from his inside post.
ME TOO. I was amazed at his position in the backstretch......

no excuses......I just figure him for just off the pace....and then take the lead from Hard Spun in the stretch...
joeyspicks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: