Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
BarchCapper

Remembering Relaxing - my first "super horse"

Yesterday, December 3rd, I celebrated the 40th anniversary of the day I first walked into a racetrack (Aqueduct) and placed a wager (after a few years of watching racing and studying the DRF). I walked out with nearly 3 times the meager $20 stake I had as an underage 17 year old, so of course I looked for the very next opportunity to go to the track again.

On Saturday, December 6th, I took the bus, ferry, and subway from Staten Island back to Aqueduct. I came out a little bit ahead financially, but even better got to see my first equine "star" of the track in person.

Ogden Phipps's 4yo mare, Relaxing, trained by Angel Penna, Sr., won the Grade II Firenze at 1 1/8 miles that day (now it's known as the Personal Ensign run at Saratoga in August), and equaled the track record. I was impressed.

What's even more impressive: Penna wheeled her right back just one week later on Saturday the 13th, against the BOYS at 1 5/8 miles in the Grade II Gallant Fox Handicap. I couldn't go that day, but got to watch it on Channel 9's NYC OTB show. She won the race and even set the track record!

(Maybe she can get a little "Talking Horses" mention when that 40th anniversary occurs next Sunday?)

Glorious Song won the Older Female Eclipse Award in 1980, but in 1981 Relaxing got that honor, winning a couple of Grade 1's and capturing another Grade 2 against the boys (John B. Campbell at Bowie), before finishing her racing career with a 3rd to John Henry in the Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Of course, her career as a broodmare saw her produce the wonderful Easy Goer, along with 2 other Grade I winners.

It is a joy to remember these stars of yesteryear, and to be thankful for such an exciting introduction to live racing!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
What's even more impressive: Penna wheeled her right back just one week later on Saturday the 13th, against the BOYS at 1 5/8 miles in the Grade II Gallant Fox Handicap.

Glorious Song won the Older Female Eclipse Award in 1980, but in 1981 Relaxing got that honor, winning a couple of Grade 1's and capturing another Grade 2 against the boys (John B. Campbell at Bowie), before finishing her racing career with a 3rd to John Henry in the Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Of course, her career as a broodmare saw her produce the wonderful Easy Goer, along with 2 other Grade I winners.
Relaxing was also wheeling back on short rest when she won the Firenze, crushing in a minor race 9 days previously, for a total of 3 starts in 16 days. That race was her first race on dirt in 8 months and only her 2nd overall, so she was a sort of precursor to Cigar who around this time 26 years ago had his coming out party in the NYRA Mile.

In Relaxing's dirt debut, the Santa Lucia at Santa Anita, she was beaten by Image of Reality who went on to produce the great broodmare Toussaud (Empire Maker, Honest Lady, etc).

Meanwhile Glorious Song, who also beat males multiple times, produced international superstar Singspiel and the great stallion Rahy as a broodmare. In one of her few missteps as champion older mare in 1980, she was beat in a close finish in the La Brea by Terlingua, the dam of uber-stallion Storm Cat.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Relaxing was also wheeling back on short rest when she won the Firenze, crushing in a minor race 9 days previously, for a total of 3 starts in 16 days. That race was her first race on dirt in 8 months and only her 2nd overall, so she was a sort of precursor to Cigar who around this time 26 years ago had his coming out party in the NYRA Mile.

In Relaxing's dirt debut, the Santa Lucia at Santa Anita, she was beaten by Image of Reality who went on to produce the great broodmare Toussaud (Empire Maker, Honest Lady, etc).

Meanwhile Glorious Song, who also beat males multiple times, produced international superstar Singspiel and the great stallion Rahy as a broodmare. In one of her few missteps as champion older mare in 1980, she was beat in a close finish in the La Brea by Terlingua, the dam of uber-stallion Storm Cat.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #4
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

Glorious Song was also a full sister to Devil's Bag, champion 2yo of 1983 and St Ballado leading sire of 2005
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #5
lamboguy

great stuff here, brings back memories of the way it used to be
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 12:53 AM   #6
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
Glorious Song was also a full sister to Devil's Bag, champion 2yo of 1983 and St Ballado leading sire of 2005
The dam Ballade came from a monster Darby Dan family that produced most of the turf horses that came out of James Toner's barn (Wings of Grace, Soaring Softly, etc.).

Ballade is still making inroads, however slight, in 2020. Kentucky Derby show horse Mr Big News has her as his 3rd dam. Ballade actually shows up twice up close in his pedigree since his sire Giant's Causeway is out of the important mare Mariah's Storm, a daughter of Rahy (out of Glorious Song). An example of the famed "Rasmussen Factor".
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply