Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
elhelmete

watching BC at home

Yanno, I just feel I have to share this. Maybe there's some something to be gleaned from it, maybe not, maybe us horseplayers are just an odd bunch.

I invited a half dozen people to watch and bet the BC with me on Saturday from my home. Food and bev and cigars etc. All good guys I've known a long time.

I emailed out post times for the BC races so like 12noon to 530p California time.

For some reason, my friends still have a hard time understanding the "one race every 30 minutes...goes for about 5 1/2 hours total " concept.

Is it really that hard to grasp, particularly in relation to other top sporting events that play out over a few hours?

Why is someone surprised when they ask "I'll stop by from 2-3pm" and I answer "ok that's 2 races."? I doubt they'd be surprised knowing that if they watched an hour of NFL football they'd only see a little more than a quarter.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
woodbinepmi

Set up more TV's just for football, that will satisfy everybody.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Tell them there's a race every 5 minutes.

Show old replays, book bets. Many money on them. Don't worry, they won't win.

EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
KennyG1

Maybe play it up as more of a social event instead of a sporting event. If you say we're going to hang out and eat/drink/smoke all day while betting some races, people may be more receptive.

But if the incentive of hanging out and recreationally gambling with your friends all day is not enough stimuli to have a good time, something tells me these people aren't going to enjoy the races regardless.
KennyG1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Some great ideas....

early 80s, I remember my Dad telling my brother to have some friends over for a Woodstock party. They thought they were coming over to listen to music...but my Dad had a delivery of firewood show up that needed to be hauled in from the street....
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
MonmouthParkJoe

The BC broadcast is one I actually love watching from home. I think they usually do a great job and have a number of storylines they show in between the races. I usually put my bets in and stuff my face all day.

Just tell them Mike Tirico is on there, should get them more interested.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Tell them there's a race every 5 minutes.

Show old replays, book bets. Many money on them. Don't worry, they won't win.

Sick Man! I like that.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2016, 02:21 AM   #8
ultracapper

I have a borderline friend/sorta buddy that I hang out with when I get down the list of "who to catch up with today" and kill time with who is a big NASCAR fan. Last year I invited him to my brother-in-law's house to watch the KD (American Pharaoh). It was a 90 minute telecast and he said he'd get there around the half way point and catch the last 45 minutes or so of the race.

Haha. He was stunned when he realized that my very, very firm insistence that the KD, the absolutely biggest event in this sport I love so much and he is so thoroughly unfamiliar with was an event that actually only lasted 2 minutes. When I asked him if he'd ever heard the saying "the most exciting two minutes in sports", he thought the saying was referring to the final lap of the race. He just could not wrap his mind around the fact the race itself lasted only 2 minutes. It was a total deal breaker for him. He will never, ever embrace horse racing, as a fan or as a gambler. And he can sit for hours in a KENO lounge.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2016, 03:11 AM   #9
thaskalos

Every time I turn the TV on at home to watch a horse-race, with other people around...they look at me as if I've lost my mind. No-one even asks me to explain anything to them they they don't understand...they just watch the screen in total disinterest...hoping that I'll notice their boredom and switch the channel. And this includes friends of mine who themselves regularly engage in other forms of gambling.

The horseplayer is ridiculed even when he is among other gamblers. Not that he cares any...of course.

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-02-2016 at 03:15 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Every time I turn the TV on at home to watch a horse-race, with other people around...they look at me as if I've lost my mind. No-one even asks me to explain anything to them they they don't understand...they just watch the screen in total disinterest...hoping that I'll notice their boredom and switch the channel. And this includes friends of mine who themselves regularly engage in other forms of gambling.

The horseplayer is ridiculed even when he is among other gamblers. Not that he cares any...of course.
Had the same experience with a couple of buddies. They were bored to tears and couldn't understand why they waited a half hour between races.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
burnsy
self medicated

I don't know, its not hard for me, but then again, 4 of my best friends are horse players. That's the great thing about living in Saratoga, this region is loaded with "hard core" fans. There are seminars that go on all week. I used to go to the BC as many times as I could. Now I have no problem having food and drink and getting these guys over here. If I'm not going to the "Cup" a few of them ask me if I'm doing something at home.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
CincyHorseplayer

I used to get some of the same negative responses. Family and friends would tell me they were sick of hearing about horse racing. Now it's on a lot of the time, I am still talking about it. I play more regularly. They have realized it's in the blood and that's the way it is! Not in a damaging relationship type of way though. They have come to appreciate that it is a mental game and a long term quest. They come over for the big days. I usually put something on the smoke pit the morning of then hand over the reigns to someone else. Everybody parties and just hangs out and has a good time. I get a lot of questions though as many are genuinely interested. They end up playing and getting into it. Sure would like more real horseplayer company though!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
I have a borderline friend/sorta buddy that I hang out with when I get down the list of "who to catch up with today" and kill time with who is a big NASCAR fan. Last year I invited him to my brother-in-law's house to watch the KD (American Pharaoh). It was a 90 minute telecast and he said he'd get there around the half way point and catch the last 45 minutes or so of the race.

Haha. He was stunned when he realized that my very, very firm insistence that the KD, the absolutely biggest event in this sport I love so much and he is so thoroughly unfamiliar with was an event that actually only lasted 2 minutes. When I asked him if he'd ever heard the saying "the most exciting two minutes in sports", he thought the saying was referring to the final lap of the race. He just could not wrap his mind around the fact the race itself lasted only 2 minutes. It was a total deal breaker for him. He will never, ever embrace horse racing, as a fan or as a gambler. And he can sit for hours in a KENO lounge.
See, here's the thing. Our game is not THAT hard to understand as a viewer. I mean I am not an active fan of any other sport except perhaps the NFL somewhat, but even I know that if someone invites me over to watch, say, Game 7 of the world series I know what I'm in for as far as time commitment and level of activity. Heck even a NASCAR race I know won't be a 45 minute "pop-in" to watch.

I actually think our game is a great social watching experience, you can spend 30-10 MTP eating and talking and whatever, then watch the post parade and then have a few minutes to take a leak and get the bets in or whatever.

If they want to say our game is just too boring, that's a different discussion.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Horse racing's biggest problem is that we're in a "never a dull moment" generation who MUST be entertained every minute.
A timeout is called in basketball and pretty young ladies immediately run on the court in skimpy outfits and do a 30second routine while loud music blares through the arena. That music will continue until the exact moment the ball is put back into play...how dare the crowd be forced to sit in silence with no action to see or hear! How dare they be forced to contemplate the game situation and strategize in their own minds about what may happen....that's no fun

Thirty minutes between races is about 25mins too long for most young folks.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Richie

we used to have a contest, put up a board , chip in 20-30 each, everyone pick win place and show horses, points are 5-3-1 , winner take all , give out a trophy, take a pic of winner , bring it back next year and start again. We did this for 25 years until everyone died off

it was great fun
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: