Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #1
fmhealth

Relax @ the track

Truly gives an insightful view of actually going to the races. Reflects my thoughts on why I'm a regular @ TUP from Oct through early May.

Be Well,
fmhealth

https://medium.com/@onehorsestable/a...bb1#.6ndox3pry
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
ultracapper

Even us 30 year vets have to step back now and then and just reach back now and then and remember what got most of us into the game in the first place..... The aura of a day at the track. I know I was kind of transported into another place the first time I ever went to Longacres. There was so much going on with all the people and the ten events that went off every half hour that everybody present gave their undivided attention to for 2 minutes. I bury myself behind this keyboard way too much. I'm in need of a good old fashion day at the races.

Thanks for the post.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
macguy

Very good article and very good advice.

I was drawn to the racetrack by the betting and gambling, the thought of coming home with more cash than I left with.

As the years went on (and my life got busier), I found I was betting less and less, yet still going to the track a few times a summer. It was the true beauty and atmosphere of the sport that kept me going back, with the occasional bet to keep things interesting.

No better way to spend a beautiful June evening than going to the track.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth
... Reflects my thoughts on why I'm a regular @ TUP from Oct through early May.

I hope you aren't relaxing too close to the Tiki Bar!

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
fmhealth

You're a funny man Mr. Smith!! Actually, I'm the lone fan that sits in the GS right above the Tiki Bar on the second level before the first race. Only 'capper w/o a program or form only the WSJ. Once the horses leave the barn for the opener I move to the paddock for a closer view. Don't know why, I usually only bet two trainers, Diodoro & Chambers along with any horse owned by Mr Garvey. I'm on my way back to Scottsdale usually after the 3rd.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Old 05-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
johnhannibalsmith

Now you're in trouble. I'll have to take a look for the only guy with a WSJ and say hello one of these days.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy
No better way to spend a beautiful June evening than going to the track.
Interesting that you say evening... I loved night racing at Hastings....now that they are down to just a few Friday nights, I find myself rarely going to the track....
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
fmhealth

I'll be @ TUP the first Mon. or Tues. of the racing season. As you know, that's usually mid to late Oct. If you arrive late, I can to be spotted in the CH sitting at a table showing CNBC. I really have to get a life!!

Be Well,
fmhealth
Old 05-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
macguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggingTheRail
Interesting that you say evening... I loved night racing at Hastings....now that they are down to just a few Friday nights, I find myself rarely going to the track....
Used to always go on the Wednesday night cards, I found it was a nice way to break up the week, and it was also usually (unfortunately for Hastings) nice and quiet. I don't think Hastings has run on a Wednesday night for over a decade now.

Took in a few Friday night race cards, and always enjoyed them.
The atmosphere is a little more party-like, but it's great to see a younger crowd enjoying a night at the races.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
1st time lasix

I like to go to Saratoga and Gulfstream on an annual basis. I have visited Arlington for their million weekend- four of last seven years.... but still never have visited Keenland nor Del Mar- which are on my " bucket list." Should be able to squeeze in visits there when I retire. I really like to go to the backside and/or watch works trackside at dawn--- when the sun is rising..... in addition to the afternoon races. Good for the soul and always make me appreciate the hard work behind the scenes and the true beauty of the equine athletes.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
JohnGalt1

I also read the article on his site about tipsters.

Another goo read.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Good read

I find that when I go to Belmont, I tend to deviate from straight business (diligently typing in notes on all horses after every race) as I want to take in the green grass, views, fresh air, paddock, Vitamin D etc.

Makes you feel human again.

When I'm at AQU, a bomb won't get me to look away from the HD head on replay. (as it only shows once)
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
MonmouthParkJoe

This article rings true for me. My introduction to horse racing is one that is most likely a common one for many people here, but one I wouldnt have any other way.

I remember the first time I was at the track, it was at the Meadowlands. I was one of those kids picking up all the losing tickets on the floor. My parents were not the the gambling types, but my uncles sure were. My uncles would watch me on the weekends some times, and despite my father telling them not to, they would bring me to the track. Their loves included cold beer and 3/5 shots, so it was a logical move for them. Fortunately or unfortunately for me , they were horrible baby sitters and I ran all over the track on my own. I remember the night Tyson lost to Buster Douglas since we were at the Meadowlands that night. February of 1990.

While the Meadowlands will always be near and dear to me, it wasnt until weekends at Monmouth where I really fell in love with the game. I have said it before and will say it again, there is nothing better than being at the track in a picnic atmosphere on a lazy summer day having an ice cold beer.

I have been to a number of tracks around the country as I am sure many of you have, but there is nothing in the world like Saratoga. On my annual trips there I almost never check my phone. I leave the real world behind once I walk through the turnstiles. Even though I have been there numerous times over the last decade, it still feels like Christmas eve when I was a child. I take in all the sights and smells. From waking up at the crack of dawn, to running like a maniac to get a good spot at 7am, to breakfast at the triangle diner or bread basket afterwards, to even contemplating bringing my fishing pole to catch the monster trout in Congress Park, i love every minute of it. From the minute I get there until the time I leave everything else in life takes a back seat to Saratoga. 52 days to go, but whos counting
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth
Truly gives an insightful view of actually going to the races. Reflects my thoughts on why I'm a regular @ TUP from Oct through early May.

Be Well,
fmhealth

https://medium.com/@onehorsestable/a...bb1#.6ndox3pry
Thanks for the link FM. Me and my track buddies are planning a trip to the "new" River Downs (Belterra)this Friday just to Relax at the Track and celebrate a friends retirement. Haven't been there since they rebuilt and reconfigured, looking forward to a nice warm summer day with a few cold ones.

Last edited by jahura2; 06-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2
Thanks for the link FM. Me and my track buddies are planning a trip to the "new" River Downs (Belterra)this Friday just to Relax at the Track and celebrate a friends retirement. Haven't been there since they rebuilt and reconfigured, looking forward to a nice warm summer day with a few cold ones.
According to weather.com, Friday in Cincinatti will be a high of 84, partly cloudy with 0% chance of rain (No need to handicap the mudders!)

Sounds like a perfect day to take in the races. Enjoy!
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply