Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Kash$
Veteran

Thumbs up Keeneland was great all weekend did anyone attend?

Many doubters when first announced Keeneland was hosting this year's BC..
From what I've read no complaints..Keeneland first class..
If any attended would love to hear your experience.
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
uncbossfan

I was there Sat in General Admmison. Got there right at 9am and like many others stole a bench from underneath and a bar table. We were just right of the big screen well back from rail with a perfect view.

Lines for betting we're no issue at all. Actually shorter than most Saturdays. Men's bathroom was only long line as there were so many more men than women yesterday but it still went fast.

Plenty of beer vendors and they had plenty of people walking around selling drinks as well

Track apron was half empty until 2mtp then got decently full but again not even to a bluegrass type crowd.

Plenty of merchandise areas and a nice big superstore outside

Only issue was leaving. Bus lines were forever long and taxis were even worse as no taxi drivers wanted to sit in that traffic as it would cost the money so who blames them. we waited 10 min for a taxi and saw honestly just 1 show up with at least 4-500 people in line. We decided to start walking back and I found a nice couple to take us to our hotel for $40.

All in all except getting smoked at the windows it was an incredible day and Keeneland 1000% deserves to be in a regular rotation for the BC!
uncbossfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
pandy

I wasn't there but when the track plays fairly and closers win I'm happy. Santa Anita's last two BC's sucked.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbossfan
I was there Sat in General Admmison. Got there right at 9am and like many others stole a bench from underneath and a bar table. We were just right of the big screen well back from rail with a perfect view.

Lines for betting we're no issue at all. Actually shorter than most Saturdays. Men's bathroom was only long line as there were so many more men than women yesterday but it still went fast.

Plenty of beer vendors and they had plenty of people walking around selling drinks as well

Track apron was half empty until 2mtp then got decently full but again not even to a bluegrass type crowd.

Plenty of merchandise areas and a nice big superstore outside

Only issue was leaving. Bus lines were forever long and taxis were even worse as no taxi drivers wanted to sit in that traffic as it would cost the money so who blames them. we waited 10 min for a taxi and saw honestly just 1 show up with at least 4-500 people in line. We decided to start walking back and I found a nice couple to take us to our hotel for $40.

All in all except getting smoked at the windows it was an incredible day and Keeneland 1000% deserves to be in a regular rotation for the BC!
Some tracks get it others dont..
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Fred

Went both days. On Friday we were in the Bluegrass room located on the 3rd floor of the grandstand and everything was just great! We had a parking pass for both days and had little trouble on Friday geting in and out.
Everyone there had assigned table and the food and service was excellent. Plenty of betting windows plus on side of the room you could look down at the paddock. And very easy to walk out to the stands and watch the races live. What a day!

After Friday I was making calls to brag on Kenneland. I must admit I had doubts.

Then came Saturday and the Bourbon room. I will just say this-If I had driven I would have been on my way home (3 hour drive) by 10:00 AM
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
tanner12oz

GA both days with very limited issues. Food lines were kinda lengthy and I couldn't get to some of the usual food options cuz they shut them off for GA leaving limited options. They wanted to take down my name and come back later for a soft pretzel which was funny. I didn't think the shuttle was that bad. Friday was very quick and easy . Saturday was a little longer but nothing resembling the debacle of the lirr in new york. I got to my car around 8 on Saturday after staying for the last race. I think every bus within 300 miles was sent to keeneland.

all in all I think it was handled wonderfully and the apocalyptic scenario many envisioned simply didn't materialize.

another huge plus was the keeneland WiFi stayed intact all day. Many times on these big days the signals will crash but I was able to get in minutes before the classic when volume was heaviest. Keeneland is the class of the industry and proved themselves again.
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash$
Many doubters when first announced Keeneland was hosting this year's BC..
From what I've read no complaints..Keeneland first class..
If any attended would love to hear your experience.
I got to attend both days in the Bourbon Lounge at the top of the stretch. Free ticks on Friday and 350.00 ticks for 100.00 from a friend on Saturday. Power went out a number of times on Friday but they corrected that problem and Saturday went smooth. Only issue I had was no perks whatsoever for the people in the Bourbon Lounge. I didn't pay face value so it didn't affect me too much, but I thought the original prices were way out of line for what was offered.
Keeneland handled parking pretty well from what I experienced and there was good food and drink ( very pricey ) as well. All in all I think my hometown track did a decent job and I think they earned the right to someday host again. Apparently attendance on Saturday was around 51K but it wasnt an issue where I was and a lot of that number were on the hill outside of the track.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
thespaah

As equibase once again neglected to post the attendance and handle figs for both BC days, is there any other course in which these numbers can be found?
Thanks in advance.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
thespaah

checked drf.com..No there either...
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
tanner12oz

I read 53k I think in attendance

handle was down on friday..didnt read anything on Saturday handle
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
I read 53k I think in attendance

handle was down on friday..didnt read anything on Saturday handle
Attendance of 50,155 per breederscup.com:

http://www.breederscup.com/results/2015/classic
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
biggestal99

Was on general admission on thurs, and up in the grandstand on fri/sat.

No problems whatsoever.

Even getting out of the track was great, bus shuttles to rupp was the way to go.

Well organized, kudos to the bc and keeneland for a job well done.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
serp

I did general admission on Saturday. I was worried about the crowd but honestly, it was pretty good.

I did the shuttle to/from the horse park and it was easy/fast both in and out. The way back to your shuttle was well marked coming out and the wait was pretty short.

I never had to wait in line to bet. Tons of windows/machines and there was one area of machines that always seemed to have an opening.

I hung out in the paddock most of the day and got to see a bunch of great horses up close. It got real busy before each race but then as the race started people left to go jump in the crowd by the rails. There is a nice big screen out in the paddock area if you wanted to stay there though.

For the classic I got right on the corner where they go out on the track to get some good photos/video. Then I started to walk out to the rail area to watch. I walked through one of the tunnel type entrances the new bleacher seats made and as soon as it opened up I just stopped and looked. Only a few people standing there and we were elevated higher than the crowd that was pushing to get near the rail. We were closer than anyone that paid for seats and had a clear view.

This was my first time at the Breeder's Cup and it just seemed so laid back and enjoyable. We were striking up conversations with people from all over talking about their trips to lots of tracks. The one's who had been to Keeneland before already knew it was great and those visiting for the first time seemed impressed. At least that's my anecdotal evidence.
serp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

I "Almost" attended. I waffled on GA, then waffled on the "tailgate party" and then didn't attend.

I may regret that as it will most likely be the ONLY time in my life that I can see a Grand Slammer go wire to wire clinching the Slam. At least I had a good seat in front of the 40" plasma.

I envy those of you that attended. A once in a lifetime race for sure.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
letswastemoney

The parking hurt them.

Even media had to park off site (except NBC Sports), and I saw plenty of parking spots available.

Off site parking also discourages newer fans. Make it less convenient and they are less likely to come.

Other than that, it was fine.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: