Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #106
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Here's a post from the side of someone who stayed in a Breeder's Box on Saturday. It was super weird, on Friday they had ushers so that people wouldn't go from GA to the setup "box seats" which were elevated by a small stairwell with nice padded seats. On Saturday, no usher (closer to the late races when most people left too) was there from at least race 5 on, and the face was $550 for these seats. It was almost as if you could have just paid $50 and gone into a lot of these. I don't really mind, but it does make you feel salty when you have a $500 ticket and all you really needed to do was spend $50 to get the same thing, no one did or said anything. And there were some clear (not totally) unsavories that ventured up there. I gave one a beer, so I'm not trying to act like I don't like the common man or putting anyone down. But just saying.

It's interesting at Santa Anita I often try to do something similar, but it's a huge grandstand and they aren't even close to selling out so you aren't even taking anyone's seat. They typically have ushers. Or you can just sit on those platforms, which isn't horrible considering the view and the fact that it doesn't cost much to get in via GA.
I heard a few similar accounts.

I've been to SA and DMR many, many times. They're completely different set-ups.

And anyone who's spent time at older racetracks knows how oddly laid out they are, unlike modern sports stadiums. On 99% of the days you don't need to check anyone's tickets; you've got grandstand and clubhouse and that's it...if that! There are so many rabbit-warreny spaces and odd access points, and isolated seating areas. No matter how many times I go to SA I can discover a new nook I've never seen before. Ticketing these sorts of spaces and managing the revenue and access is not easy.

The last time I went to a BC at SA, I noticed how much more strict they were (2012 vs. 2009) with access to various seating and standing and food&bev areas. When DMR was announced as a host site one of the first questions I had was how they were going to carve up the place to manage ticketing and security. Looks like they did almost TOO good of a job.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #107
chiguy

I think Del Mar should host again, but not as part of a regular rotation. I don't remember if NYRA is out of the BC hosting business or not but I would love to see a regular rotation of CD, SA and Bel. Every fourth year you could do it at KEE, or Del Mar or even Saratoga, that would be something to see.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #108
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Here you are on 10/17/16 (completely different, I'm sure ):

"It isn't "overcharging" or a ripoff to charge more money so that big spenders attend and people who think the market price is a ripoff- i.e., cheap people who refuse to spend money- stay home.

And cheap people are actually awful. They are why we can't have nice things. A market full of people who spend money gets you Del Mar. A market full of cheap people gets you a dumpy racetrack, or worse, an out of business one.

Cheap people are terrible parasites. You want something good? Spend some darned money, or stay home and let those of us who want to spend money and buy nice things do it."

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...es#post2061794
Completely different. Del Mar charges a lot in the regular season, but doesn't cap attendance or not sell the apron.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #109
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Completely different. Del Mar charges a lot in the regular season, but doesn't cap attendance or not sell the apron.
$10 is a lot for clubhouse unrestricted? And ALmost anyone can get in free or reduced with very little effort or research?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #110
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Totally similar. Just remember next time, all your past posts still exist.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #111
stringmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Further argument for the Del Mar model:

http://horseracingbusiness.com/

It would be interesting to understand how much of that $25M is related to the churn on BC Betting Challenge. With 440 participants (new high I believe), betting $7500, they had a $3.3M essentially in the pool to begin.

It would also be interesting to understand how many contestants played remotely as opposed to at Dmr. They introduced remote option 1 to 2 years ago. Might not have been at Kee but I'm sure many wanted to attend in person at Dmr for the atmosphere and drove the handle
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #112
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Yes, they limited attendance, Belmont does that on Belmont Stakes day.

Uh, Belmont has done that exactly once - in 149 runnings!

Some people who posted early in this thread don't seem to understand the simple math which results from the chunk of typical Dmr racegoers having been 'priced-out' having been those who would merely fill the apron and wander around drunk and aimless. The per capita was indeed much larger at the 2017 BC than in past years for that simple reason. A bit more room for those who push-through $40,000 on a card at the expense of those who push-through $40 on a card.

It may as well have been marked as a "record handle for a 2-day BC" given that there were two more races back when the record was set.

Most who take interest are far, far away from the BC venue, so it doesn't matter too much whether they cap attendance at the optimum number.

The 2017 BC fields just happened to be among the more competitive seen in the BC over time, and the fact that so many of those lined-up consecutively on Saturday made for some of the best wagering challenges you could dream-up.

And of course that's what drives handle...
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #113
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Totally similar. Just remember next time, all your past posts still exist.
Which would be an issue if Del Mar's business model during the regular season (which I admire) had any relationship to its business model for the BC (which I don't). But it doesn't. Nice try.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #114
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
Uh, Belmont has done that exactly once - in 149 runnings!

Some people who posted early in this thread don't seem to understand the simple math which results from the chunk of typical Dmr racegoers having been 'priced-out' having been those who would merely fill the apron and wander around drunk and aimless. The per capita was indeed much larger at the 2017 BC than in past years for that simple reason. A bit more room for those who push-through $40,000 on a card at the expense of those who push-through $40 on a card.

It may as well have been marked as a "record handle for a 2-day BC" given that there were two more races back when the record was set.

Most who take interest are far, far away from the BC venue, so it doesn't matter too much whether they cap attendance at the optimum number.

The 2017 BC fields just happened to be among the more competitive seen in the BC over time, and the fact that so many of those lined-up consecutively on Saturday made for some of the best wagering challenges you could dream-up.

And of course that's what drives handle...
There's plenty of truth in this post.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #115
biggestal99

Quote:
I think a lot of this is variance. There were a lot of false favorites yesterday, like Drefong and Arrogate, plus even a legitimate favorite in a 2 year old race like Bolt D'Oro can always regress.

Hold it again at DMR with a different group and maybe 7 favorites win.
Sheets guys said bolt was decent but way underlaid. Really loved the 2 horse.
Rats second. Nice exacta and tri however as they said to include the 6 and bolt.

Nice call by the sheets.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #116
elhelmete

Love the backpedal here.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #117
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Love the backpedal here.
???
Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #118
uncbossfan

Here is my perspective being that is was my first time ever to Del Mar. I was at CD in 2010 and Keeneland for their BC's tho so I do have those 2 to compare it to tho.

From a visitors perspective, it may be impossible to top Del Mar. We flew in Friday morning and out on Monday. Gave us two days of touristy time in San Diego, Pacific Beach, etc. To me this was part of why Del mar is a great site for the BC.

The crowd has been a huge topic on this thread and I can first hand say I was shocked at how much space we had as General Admission ticket holders on the apron. At Keeneland we got there minutes before gates opened and rushed in to get a bench and table which worked out as it was super packed on the apron. For Del Mar we didn't feel like getting there that early so we arrived 20 minutes to first post. All the benches as expected were gone, but you could easily get 3 -5 feet from the rail. They also sold BC folding chairs for $30. We waited too long to buy one tho and they sold out - big miss on our part as standing/sitting on the concrete was not that fun. What's interesting is the later the day got, honestly the less crowded it got. Not sure if people tried to beat the rush out, but the Classic where we stood was much less crowded than races 5 or 6. Another thing I saw was pretty many scalpers selling tickets on our way in. Looks like anybody shut out who wanted a ticket could've gotten in pretty reasonably if they took the chance on buying on site.

The betting windows were aplenty and pretty open. Again, never been to Del Mar before but it was never backed up that bad at all. Concession lines were less than average for an event this size as well. As a patron I found all of this fantastic and if they were able to make us there happy and still get a record on hand handle, great for them! (For the record I only made 1 bet at the track, rest was made on phone or I did a syndicate with 2 uncles which they bet back in KY so I am curious how much on track handle they missed out on)

The racing was incredible. I am a longshot player and finally had a big BC day so my opinion on the actual racing itself is skewed, but every race was thrilling, horses running well from tracks all over the world and payouts were big if you connected. again, the BC committee couldn't ask for much more.

We walked over to the infield for a race and they had a great set up! A lot of local beer and food vendors, the beach actually looked really fun and I wish we could've gotten al the way in to check it out and they had a cool park like feel around a monster video screen that seated a lot of people. Seeing the actual races from there was pretty limited tho except for The Beach area.

We took an uber in and that went very smooth. After the Classic we walked to some restaurant in Del Mar about a mile away and got a nice dinner and an uber back to San Diego was no problem once done. Even met some people from England who flew in for the races and are coming to CD next year.

Overall, I really can't find one negative thing from the actual BC experience other than beer prices were outrageous. $13 for a Coors light draft. I would definitely go back if they were to host again in another 5 years
uncbossfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #119
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

I'll throw my 2cents in and try to be as short as I can.

I've been to the last 9 BCs (excluding 1), dating back to Zenyatta's grand victory at Santa Anita in 2009.

I've absolutely enjoyed every single one of them.

While only 4 tracks have been involved (Churchill, Santa Anita, Keeneland, Del Mar), they have all had their good and great charms.

What I have learned over these years, is that you pay for what you get. And that you better pay to enjoy yourself, or submit yourself to being not as happy as you want to be.

I'm not rich by any standard, and we all knew Del Mar was going to be a pretty penny. Thus, we planned for it, and we always tip. Heavily..., but with purpose.

We also plan ahead for Saturday leaving the joint. We have successfully secured our private Uber/Taxi that will meet us at some certain rendezvous each and every time, and we pay handsomely for that service. We have always done that in prior pickups and tipping heavily for such service on Thursday or Friday. So while we waltz by a number of people yelling at us, we are set, and without a care all day long.

In the end, I have but one tip.

Be happy. Be friendly. Enjoy yourself. While my crew is from Nebraska and it comes natural to all of us to be openly jovial and stupid, it shouldn't be that hard to be that damn Joker smile happy when the BC is right in front of your face.

P.S. It also doesn't hurt to hit a few winners
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #120
Southbaygent
TomT

Great post..I wish I’d considered the preplanned taxi/Uber when i was at Woodbine. The taxi queue there was a nightmare and it was very cold. And i was trying to get to hotel to watch the World Series, lol.

Repeating here my praises of DMR, all good for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I'll throw my 2cents in and try to be as short as I can.

I've been to the last 9 BCs (excluding 1), dating back to Zenyatta's grand victory at Santa Anita in 2009.

I've absolutely enjoyed every single one of them.

While only 4 tracks have been involved (Churchill, Santa Anita, Keeneland, Del Mar), they have all had their good and great charms.

What I have learned over these years, is that you pay for what you get. And that you better pay to enjoy yourself, or submit yourself to being not as happy as you want to be.

I'm not rich by any standard, and we all knew Del Mar was going to be a pretty penny. Thus, we planned for it, and we always tip. Heavily..., but with purpose.

We also plan ahead for Saturday leaving the joint. We have successfully secured our private Uber/Taxi that will meet us at some certain rendezvous each and every time, and we pay handsomely for that service. We have always done that in prior pickups and tipping heavily for such service on Thursday or Friday. So while we waltz by a number of people yelling at us, we are set, and without a care all day long.

In the end, I have but one tip.

Be happy. Be friendly. Enjoy yourself. While my crew is from Nebraska and it comes natural to all of us to be openly jovial and stupid, it shouldn't be that hard to be that damn Joker smile happy when the BC is right in front of your face.

P.S. It also doesn't hurt to hit a few winners
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply