Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #16
deathandgravity

Ok.. this maybe a stupid question? But..

Explain to me why if you had a ½ decent horse in the allowance ranks you wouldn’t pay the $4000 in fees & in hope of scooping up some of the minor purse payouts?

Are horseman aware of the other entries when nominating?
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
was watching old races from 1991,and the mother goose and coaching club only had 4 fillies,meadow star and lite lite against 2 tomato cans.go for wand had 2 opponents in the alabama.THe breeders cup has changed racing and its debatable whether its for the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag View Post
On July 8, 1978, the Dwyer Stakes featured a field of three. However, that trio were a part of the best crop in the history of American racing. This year, not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
1957 looks to me to be as good a crop as 1978. But that's a quibble.
Hey!! I know one has to have a very good memory to be good at handicapping horses but you guys are over the top with these.

I'm in trouble because I can't remember what I had for breakfast just three days ago.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Iowa Derby this week, Indiana Derby next week.
Friday night?
Look forward to this every year.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #19
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

Quote:
1957 looks to me to be as good a crop as 1978. But that's a quibble.

Not looking for an argument, but I'm not sure it's that close.
I'm not looking at it as the three-year-olds of 1978, but the overall foal crop of 1975. So putting the glamorous Triple Crown races aside, and as an advocate for the west coast, you are welcome to include John Henry in your reassessment.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Last 516 5 horse fields everywhere, favorites won 48% and WP 70%.

Go grab a nice $3 exacta!
Use it for a down payment on a beer.

Could be worse, could be one horse racing a shark.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #21
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag View Post
Not looking for an argument, but I'm not sure it's that close.
I'm not looking at it as the three-year-olds of 1978, but the overall foal crop of 1975. So putting the glamorous Triple Crown races aside, and as an advocate for the west coast, you are welcome to include John Henry in your reassessment.
Redefined that way, horses born in 1964, which include Dr. Fager, Damascus, Princessnesian, Gamely, and Fort Marcy, is going to count. Also 1966: Majestic Prince, Arts and Letters, Shuvee, Ta Wee, Cougar II, and Ack Ack.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #22
Secondbest

Quote:
Redefined that way, horses born in 1964, which include Dr. Fager, Damascus, Princessnesian, Gamely, and Fort Marcy, is going to count. Also 1966: Majestic Prince, Arts and Letters, Shuvee, Ta Wee, Cougar II, and Ack Ack.
Ta Wee. One of my all time favorites.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #23
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
They screwed up the Suburban also, with only a field of 6

Could have been a great card.

At first glance, it's only worth playing the 2 dirt features as part of a multi-race sequence.

Guess I will be focused on the two turf features.
Dirt racing in NY is a joke, has been for years. They might as well turn the main track into a 3rd turf course and run all grass racing. That would eliminate these 5 horse fields.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Dirt racing in NY is a joke, has been for years. They might as well turn the main track into a 3rd turf course and run all grass racing. That would eliminate these 5 horse fields.
Only works for awhile. California continued to have 11 horse grass races long after our dirt racing went to hell, but now we card plenty of 6 horse turf races too.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #25
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandgravity View Post
Ok.. this maybe a stupid question? But..

Explain to me why if you had a ½ decent horse in the allowance ranks you wouldn’t pay the $4000 in fees & in hope of scooping up some of the minor purse payouts?

Are horseman aware of the other entries when nominating?

Most times you pitch the angle of being able to get a horse graded stakes placed to get them in there. As it relates to saying who else is in there, each track is different.

Once the first Saratoga book comes out most horsemen wait on entering for stakes/allowance races upstate. Horsemen get pretty aggressive with their placement since everyone wants to win there.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
This is exactly right.

It's also more new in California than it is in New York. California used to have a lot of 10 and 12 horse stakes races in the 1980's, at the same time when NYRA had lots of short fields. Now it's the opposite, California is even worse than NYRA at drawing horses into its stakes races.

There are more options for stakes horses, and stakes horses also run a lot less often. Also, stakes purses haven't caught up with inflation, except the very top line ones. For instance, while the Kentucky Derby has grown from $600,000 to $2 million in the last 30 years, the Charles Whittingham Stakes purse shrunk from $500,000 to $200,000.
And that was only due to CD getting deserved manure for having owners pay such a big chunk of the purse ($1m in fees for 20 horses) while they pocket $100m over the two days. Hell, the owners should fuss louder and get the fees dropped to $20k or have CD boost the purse by another million.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
And that was only due to CD getting deserved manure for having owners pay such a big chunk of the purse ($1m in fees for 20 horses) while they pocket $100m over the two days. Hell, the owners should fuss louder and get the fees dropped to $20k or have CD boost the purse by another million.
Honestly, the Derby should be one of the richest races in the world based on what it produces for Churchill.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #28
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
I dont really understand why this is....i think its a bigger question for the entire industry.

why are turf fields constantly getting large fields and dirt racing small fields.

when you consider that half the races in NY, or more, are on turf its not a issue of there are just more dirt races.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #29
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I dont really understand why this is....i think its a bigger question for the entire industry.

why are turf fields constantly getting large fields and dirt racing small fields.

when you consider that half the races in NY, or more, are on turf its not a issue of there are just more dirt races.
I want to preface by saying that I do not know enough about this to have an opinion.

Some guesses:

Dirt racing is less random, and owners and trainers don't want to race in tough spots where they face a dominant rival.

The super trainers don't want to 'waste' a win purse with 2 or 3 entries in a dirt race. On turf, they are more likely to try to ensure a pace or hope one of their multiple entries gets a trip.

Everybody is resting and drugging their dirt horses. 'Spacing'.

Collusion. Taking turns for the purse money, and occasionally filling out the 5th or 6th horse w/ a 'b' horse to make a race go.

The breeding program. Some of the turf races (state-bred maiden (clm or MSW)) for example, are highly incentivized.

Turf horses fairly frequently get to run with the flow, and do no running, and there are more turf horses that are ready to run sooner, out of the populations.

Someone who has real experience with being a racing secretary, or someone who has studied the issue and knows the important factors would have to chime in.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #30
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
[B]ecause while everyone is trying to label Practical Joke a sprinter, I think he should demolish this field with plenty in reserve.
Boom goes the dynamite from OP! Nice call.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply