Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
lamboguy

racing takeout

if anyone doesn't know how much takeout effects a horse player please take a look at the 9th race at fairgrounds today. field scratched down to 2, both horses with even chances both go off at 3/5 the winner pays $3.20 for win which equates to a 40% discount. those are impossible odds to shoot at even with a rebate.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
no breathalyzer
Veteran

yea i was just thinking the same. they should lower the take out in these situations.. if they did it might even spike the win pool
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

If the race were on the board in Vegas probably both go at -110. In horse racing, but go at -167. Who in his right mind would bet that?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
if anyone doesn't know how much takeout effects a horse player please take a look at the 9th race at fairgrounds today. field scratched down to 2, both horses with even chances both go off at 3/5 the winner pays $3.20 for win which equates to a 40% discount. those are impossible odds to shoot at even with a rebate.

Yeah, right, and lower takeout cost Eric Halstrom his job.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin
Yeah, right, and lower takeout cost Eric Halstrom his job.
You have a link that shows he is out at Canterbury? Even better does it say due to the takeout drop?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
C'mon , if you cant figure out the winner in a two horse race, then you should at least be able to figure out the loser, in which case 3/5 is generous.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
mnmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You have a link that shows he is out at Canterbury? Even better does it say due to the takeout drop?
I don't have a link but i can confirm that he is no longer at Canterbury.
mnmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 03:52 AM   #8
lamboguy

i couldn't pick the loser of that nw2 life for $5000 in a million years because i have no idea how those horses are training from 1500 miles away. i figured out its not worth guessing at those prices either.

what i did learn is how impossible it is to overcome the takeout. personally i would much rather just give my money to the MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION. at least it would help to make an unfortunate kid happy for a short time that got dealt a bad hand instead of putting money into the hands of over paid track management, workers and overcharging greedy trainers.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #9
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
I agree but it also demonstrates how breakage affects the payout on low odds horses too. It might have been a $3.39 payoff rounded down to $3.20. Let's see... If it paid $3.40 instead, that would be how much takeout and is it close to the advertised takeout?
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
AskinHaskin

"Eric Halstrom first proposed his big idea to Randy Sampson...

Sampson’s initial response was...

You’ve got to be kidding me,... Why would we do that? It’s crazy'."

http://www.startribune.com/canterbur...e/380202041/#1

Halstrom's fate is part of public financial records.

Now it seems to me that if Halstrom's own actions hadn't brought about his fate, other racing entities would have snapped him up in a heartbeat. Instead Mr. Halstrom has dropped off the racing radar since the end of the Cby season. (that despite his many years there, in his home town/area, as well as having been a high-level racing exec elsewhere)
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
If the race were on the board in Vegas probably both go at -110. In horse racing, but go at -167. Who in his right mind would bet that?
If in the opinion of the oddsmakers the horses were evenly matched, yes.
To answer your question....No one.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It was reported by DRF in mid December that he was out at Canterbury, but the same article said the takeout experiment was still being evaluated, so I don't know if the takeout drop has anything to do with his employment status.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
If in the opinion of the oddsmakers the horses were evenly matched, yes.
To answer your question....No one.
Except the people that felt one of them was going to win 75% of time.

Many people separate takeout from breakage, but the result is the same - less money going to winners of bet.

They have tried match-ups in southern California with a couple 'designated' horses in a race - how many times do you have to get back $3.40 for $2 on a coin-flip before you realize you are an idiot?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
Except the people that felt one of them was going to win 75% of time.

Many people separate takeout from breakage, but the result is the same - less money going to winners of bet.

They have tried match-ups in southern California with a couple 'designated' horses in a race - how many times do you have to get back $3.40 for $2 on a coin-flip before you realize you are an idiot?
Obviously breakage shows up more in these spots, but takeout is the much bigger culprit. Even if there were no breakage the lines would look much worse for horse racing than a one on one bet in Vegas. They'd be nowhere near -110. What, maybe -140/-150?
Old 01-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Obviously breakage shows up more in these spots, but takeout is the much bigger culprit. Even if there were no breakage the lines would look much worse for horse racing than a one on one bet in Vegas. They'd be nowhere near -110. What, maybe -140/-150?
More like -119, using a 16% takeout rate.