Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #16
PointGiven

I don't believe they are treated the same, thus the horrible conditions, and lack of food like say cattle on a feed lot. Simply because they have so little in them, they are not worth spending on feed.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 01:09 AM   #17
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGiven View Post
I don't believe they are treated the same, thus the horrible conditions, and lack of food like say cattle on a feed lot. Simply because they have so little in them, they are not worth spending on feed.
So maybe it really is the worst case with horse meat being sold bottom dollar...one old timer at Los Al told me that when horses die at the track, they often become sustenance for wild animals like big cats in zoos...so it would be interesting to know what the end-user path really is after they are processed in Mexico and Canada....? Maybe the meat gets sold back to American Zoos, or other Zoos worldwide...it is probably not wasted in any event...more sad facts of life...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 01:10 AM   #18
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I wonder what the actual end-use and end-users are...and how many total per year...it doesn’t seem like something that much money could be made, given the numbers compared to something like cattle meat processing numbers...I wonder if horse meat is considered a delicacy and sold high-end to Asians or something or if the end-product price is lower than beef...?

Is it possible to dry up the demand somehow or just make horse products banned internationally?
I'd wager $5,000 that you have eaten horse meat at some point in your life.

While I can't prove it, I feel extremely comfortable making that statement.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 01:19 AM   #19
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I'd wager $5,000 that you have eaten horse meat at some point in your life.

While I can't prove it, I feel extremely comfortable making that statement.
I agree with you...and not making light of things here but I feel certain as well that horse meat is consumed by humans regularly in other countries mainly...there is more than some truth of why ‘burritos” are called that after “burro” no doubt...it wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn that once horses are slaughtered in Mexico that fresh meat is just sold locally in border towns, would it you...?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:29 AM   #20
Mulerider

Quote:
I...it wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn that once horses are slaughtered in Mexico that fresh meat is just sold locally in border towns, would it you...?
Vigors, Mexico slaughtered 128,000 horses in 2016, the vast majority for export. The consumption of horse meat is not a normal cultural practice in Mexico, though I'm sure there's some.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 01:34 AM   #21
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Vigors, Mexico slaughtered 128,000 horses in 2016, the vast majority for export. The consumption of horse meat is not a normal cultural practice in Mexico, though I'm sure there's some.
So who are they exporting it to and for what purpose...? A good portion might be for Zoos no...?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #22
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
So who are they exporting it to and for what purpose...? A good portion might be for Zoos no...?
Zoos. Pet food. Fast food restaurants.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #23
Mulerider

Quote:
No, I think it's for human consumption. I'm no expert on the horse meat business, but there's this:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mex...urmet-product/

The article lists the some of the customers as "Russia, Hong Kong, Egypt, Japan, Vietnam, Kazakhstan and Belgium."

I believe, though, that the EU has banned Mexican horse imports due to the high level of drugs.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:52 AM   #24
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Horse was definitely on the menu in Belgium when I lived there, restaurants and supermarkets alike.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 01:53 AM   #25
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
No, I think it's for human consumption. I'm no expert on the horse meat business, but there's this:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mex...urmet-product/

The article lists the some of the customers as "Russia, Hong Kong, Egypt, Japan, Vietnam, Kazakhstan and Belgium."

I believe, though, that the EU has banned Mexican horse imports due to the high level of drugs.
This topic has a very deep rabbit hole. The USA in 2017 produced 12 million metric tons of red meat for human consumption, 20% of the world total. This issue is: why should we feel any different about horses than cattle? This has alway been a very difficult issue for me...I’m not a vegetarian, but I can really understand why some folks are...
Old 02-24-2018, 02:10 AM   #26
PointGiven

As a society we have decided what is acceptable and what isn't. cows yes, cats no.

Horses are something we have said loud and clear we do not want to see on or menus and in our markets.

The rabbit hole goes the other way as well. Whole isles in stores are devoted to products to rid us of vermin and bugs.

Anyone who has horses usually goes to great lengths to avoid or dispatch opossums.

I to am a meat eater that while it isn't for me, I get vegetarian. Commercial farming leaves a lot to be desired. So does the system in general. Even if you think you are making good choices, you often aren't.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 03:00 AM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
This topic has a very deep rabbit hole. The USA in 2017 produced 12 million metric tons of red meat for human consumption, 20% of the world total. This issue is: why should we feel any different about horses than cattle? This has alway been a very difficult issue for me...I’m not a vegetarian, but I can really understand why some folks are...
We want to have our cake...and eat it too. We support the meat-producing industry, even though we know how horribly the animals are treated before and during slaughter...but we like thinking that we are sensitive "animal-lovers". And we patronize the horse racing industry, even though we are well-aware of the plight of the horses during their racing careers and afterwards...but we declare our "admiration" for these majestic animals, and we are enraged whenever we see an article such as the one originating this thread.

We are against the torture of these animals...and we try to ignore the fact that these atrocities wouldn't occur without our "support".
Old 02-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
Mulerider

Quote:
A cow, pig, or goat in the U.S. is slaughtered much more humanely than a horse in Mexico. And that's the problem I have with this whole business.

I suspect, but have no proof, that Mexican horse slaughterhouses, by their barbaric methods, are simply accommodating their largest customers. Asian horse meat consumers believe that an adrenaline rush before the death of an animal improves the flavor of the meat. You should read how cats are slaughtered in China. It's worse than the horse treatment in Mexico.

Last edited by Mulerider; 02-24-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #29
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
We want to have our cake...and eat it too. We support the meat-producing industry, even though we know how horribly the animals are treated before and during slaughter...but we like thinking that we are sensitive "animal-lovers". And we patronize the horse racing industry, even though we are well-aware of the plight of the horses during their racing careers and afterwards...but we declare our "admiration" for these majestic animals, and we are enraged whenever we see an article such as the one originating this thread.

We are against the torture of these animals...and we try to ignore the fact that these atrocities wouldn't occur without our "support".
There is no rational reason for our current treatment of livestock...there REALLY are no existential differences between the species that would warrant denying them the same Bill of Rights that we enjoy...I suspect that our bellies bias our brains in this matter...years from now, maybe centuries, our descendants will view our current actions as atrocious, and will asked themselves “how could THEY ever have thought this way...”
Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #30
Mulerider

UPDATE 2/24/18:

ALECIA'SLITTLEBOY was rescued from Thompson's kill lot this morning, via a donation from a race horse owner named Matt Schera. Mr. Schera was alerted to the situation by Dina Alborano, who runs the rescue organization www.icareihelp.com, and who was responsible for the rescue of the Delta horses in January.

A quick Equibase search reveals that Mr. Schera is a multiple graded stakes winning owner, the last being the 2017 San Marcos Stakes (G2) with his horse Isotherm.

Well done, Mr. Schera.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: