Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 10-11-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Bettor Keep Track

Opinions wanted please! If you have purchased the BKT program from Gordon Pine, what do you think of it?

I was wondering if you think it is worth the $150. I was considering making my own Access program to track wagers, but as it has been said, time is money, so if its a good product, I value the time more.

Thanks in advance.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2002, 04:52 PM   #2
Larry Hamilton

just a thought, if you conclude its would be too much trouble to make the program (assuming you are capable), isnt it going to be an equal amount of trouble to "fill in the blanks"?

I would think the 150 is well spent if the program not only archives your bets but does it at the same time you make them. The problem is, none of the guys who take our bets provide a data sheet we can feed to our own programs...or do they?
Larry Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2002, 07:09 PM   #3
GR1@HTR

BKT Rocks. Much better reports than what I can come up w/ using Access. But I am a spare Access user...
GR1@HTR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2002, 07:26 PM   #4
steve fierro

I could not run my horse investing business without it. It has some nice capabilities for those of us that are computer "challenged". Gordon is also the "real deal" and there if you need him. It will be $150 well spent. I should add I can record a months worth of wagers four tracks in about 4 - 5 hours a month. This for me is a huge time saver.
steve fierro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2002, 07:52 PM   #5
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

CJ,

BKT is the best program out there right now. I use it every day. With that said, it could use some improvements, especially in data entry. It was obviously designed by someone who doesn't enter a lot of races (say 100 a day). It is difficult to navigate and going back to make a change can be a problem.

In my opinion, it has the feel of a program that was well thought out, but is not used on a regular basis by the author. Everything works, but the little things are an annoyance.

Dick
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
Rick

CJ,

I suggest that you develop your own software if possible. It's so much more flexible than the canned software packages available. Learn a programming language and develop a database on your own. It will be ten times more useful than depending on someone else. In the words of Charles Barkley, "I might be wrong, but I doubt it".
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
kitts

It is the best one out there. The "All Nighter" reports feature is nifty if you are betting enough races. And the "real" and "imaginary" bets are a nice feature. For sure worth the price!

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2002, 01:10 PM   #8
anotherdave

Quote:
Originally posted by kitts
It is the best one out there.
What other ones are there? The only other one I know is The Betting Analyst from Cynthia (which I notice is now down to $149).

AD
anotherdave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2002, 02:34 PM   #9
kitts

I own Betting Analyst (which was good enough in 1991) and Bettor Keep Track which does a better job and it makes it easier to record Exotic bets. Also generates better reports and is more precise in fine-tuning your best categories.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2002, 07:56 PM   #10
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

I have a home-grown "system" for keeping records of bets and doing reports of same. Clearly, it's the data entry that requires the grunt work. If you would like a user-friendly data entry program that will let you capture your bets/results and then you're on your own (spreadsheet, database, whatever) for reports send me an email reqesting same and I'll send it to you with a "readme" file that describes its functionality. It's free to PA boarders!
Old 10-15-2002, 08:39 AM   #11
hurrikane

I created my own in access. Puts out the same info as BKT a couple of other things I want to know. The part I like is I pump out my picks from the db. The next day I down load the results, push a button, and all the info on my bets are recorded in less than 1 sec. If I had to do the data entry. At some point I would blow it off. Record keeping is likely the thing that separates the winners from the losers in this game.
Developing a program that works specifically for me was worth more than 150 bucks. Maybe 100 times more.
If you can't develope your own...BKT seems to be pretty sharp. I modeled my program after that one.
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2002, 01:16 PM   #12
Kappa

hurrikane

I think creating your own db is the way to go. What sort of information should be collected?? I tried to see what BettorKeep Track was collecting, but their website did not show much.

Thanks

Last edited by Kappa; 10-15-2002 at 01:19 PM.
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2002, 01:42 PM   #13
hurrikane

collect anything you deem usefull.
At the very minimun
track distance surface class(alw,clm,mdn,mcl),if you are a contender selector seperate out your top contenders, 2 bet races, etc. It really is endless. The idea is to gain some insight into your strengths and weaknesses and go from there.

Last edited by hurrikane; 10-15-2002 at 01:48 PM.
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2002, 06:13 PM   #14
Lefty

RRbauer, I don't see the e-mail button on your post, but would like your "record keeper"
Could you e-mail me at chuck1760@juno.com or provide your e-mail?
Thanks in advance.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply