Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
andicap

Looking for book (non-handicapping)

Besides Beyers' $50,000 Year at the Races, has anyone ever written a book about trying to become a professional horseplayer? (Beyer had a day job to fall back on.) I'd love to read it.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
fmhealth

James Quinn wrote a book about 10 years ago titled "THE NEW EXPERT HANDICAPPERS". It's somewhat dated but does, I believe address your question. I'll send you my copy, no charge if you're interested. Simply PI your address to me.
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap
Besides Beyers' $50,000 Year at the Races, has anyone ever written a book about trying to become a professional horseplayer? (Beyer had a day job to fall back on.) I'd love to read it.
A new book coming out (hopefully in May) might be of interest. The planned title is "Horseplayers" by Ted McClelland. He writes of his own interest and experiences in attempting full-time handicapping, and he spent a full year interviewing a number of serious handicappers and/or people within the handicapping industry (Scott McMannis and I were interviewed and included,) as well as following some of the 'trying-to-bes', 'wanna-bes' and the casual fans.

I haven't seen what he's written yet, but obviously I'm excited. Ted does free-lance writing as well as being a regular writer for The Chicago Reader under his current name, and in the past as 'Ted Kleine'. A good number of his Reader articles involved horseracing ("Life At The Track"). I've read a number of his articles on racing and other topics and enjoyed them all.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 01-10-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
andicap

Thanks Steve for the heads up. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Maybe I can get a free-lance writing assignment reviewing the book.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Niko

I hope it's along the lines of Market Wizards which is a couple books profiling and asking questions about the best and biggest commodity players. The good thing about commodities is their results can be verified. Wonder if the book will verify the horseplayers claims before using them?
I was always hoping there'd be a "Market Wizards" book for horseplayers but have neither the writing talent, inclination or connections to do it myself.
Anyone?
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
fmhealth

Niko, funny you should mention "Market Wizards". Great book !! If you or anyone else would like my S/C copy at no charge. Simply PM me with you address.

BTW, if Genentech (DNA) breaks thru 47.5 on the way down. It's a SCREAMING BUY!!
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
I hope it's along the lines of Market Wizards which is a couple books profiling and asking questions about the best and biggest commodity players. The good thing about commodities is their results can be verified. Wonder if the book will verify the horseplayers claims before using them?
I was always hoping there'd be a "Market Wizards" book for horseplayers but have neither the writing talent, inclination or connections to do it myself.
Anyone?
Ted's book will likely cover a wide variety of people one would encounter at the track, and within in the racing industry, with some emphasis on his local Chicago market. I know he spent a lot of time with Scott McMannis. I know he interviewed a successful Rebate Player. He interviewd 'Bob The Brain' who was battling to survive the grind of full-time playing and eeking out a living, and another friend of mine who has just begun taking on the challenge of Full-Time handicapping. People who make their living within the racing industry (trainers, jockeys, owners, the press). It likely includes some of the race track characters as well. He interviewed a 'Stooper'. He's interviewed 'RaceTrack Rosie', the amazing 60+ year old stripper. (No, I don't know if he interviewed anyone who's Schtooped the Stripper!) I know he took a trip out West with Terry Bjork (McChump) and visited the Fairs in the Northwestern U.S. Terry's own write-up on his website is rather humorous.

I would not expect it to be a 'How To' guide to becoming a full-time betting professional. In some cases, more of a glimpse at some of the people who have done it, are trying it, or want to it, or at least derive their living through the industry.

It's likely more about the people, what drives them, makes them tick, some of the things that helps them be successful, etc. The human interest stories and of course the humor within.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 01-11-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
DerbyTrail

Wm Murray's The Wrong Horse

William Murray has a terrific book called The Wrong Horse: An Odyssey through the American racing scene about his experience trying to live as a professional player for a year.

Everything goes wrong, but he learns a lot about himself along the way...

It's a quick read, absolutely hilarious and true every second. Here's the link to it on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
DerbyTrail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
toetoe
Veteran

Yes, Murray is great, but the only account I know of trying to make a living exclusively @ the track, @ least for a time, is by Sasuly, don't recall first name (Richard?). Take that back, he wasn't a high enough roller to call it a living, but he stuck with it, I guess to try to simulate the conditions of dependence on the ponies for a living. He got a book out of it, but he was very disappointed in his results. Pretty much ended up between even and the track take, I think.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
Pace Cap'n

Another good read that I've mentioned before is Mike Helm's "A Breed Apart.

He spends a day with everyone at the track--jockey, trainer, owner, racing secretary, track super, etc. and expounds on the races from their viewpoint.

One passage that relates to a current thread, from the track superintendent:

"If I knew how to fix the racetrack I'd only work one day and you'd never see me again."
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
Overlay

The book by Richard Sasuly that toetoe refers to was called Laughing in the Hills, as I recall.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #12
takeout

Laughing in the Hills is by Bill Barich
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #13
toetoe
Veteran

Bill Barich indeed, and a wonderful book.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2005, 07:46 AM   #14
Blackgold

Book By A Punter

Barry Meadow's "Blackjack Autum" is factual, funny and a great read about his taking the time to play and document many months of continous blackjack play using card counting methods.

His horseracing books and pamplets are a must have for anyone seriously attacking this game.
Blackgold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #15
Niko

fmhealth: Thanks for the offer, I already own both books and Stock Market Wizards which was a little more along my lines. I'll watch Genetech, I looked at the stock a while ago for some reason and I'll revisit.
Somebody should take you up on your offer because there's a lot about betting psychology, money management and system development that really applies to horseracing.

A Breed Apart was a very good read. The closest thing to a Market Wizards style was Barry Meadows Newsletter when he interviewed some professional players and people trying to make a living at the track. Very informative. Didn't tell you exactly what to do but it gave the approach the people used. I was looking for some of that from Horseplayer magazine when I subscribed to them a couple years ago but that part of the content has been pretty weak.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply