Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
CheckMark

Data to create track bias notes

Hello all,

Since I will be handicapping the 2019-2020 Santa Anita Winter/Spring meet, I have decided to go back and do a 2 year study on track bias and what was winning for each distance and class etc. I was wondering, instead of searching up each individual chart and writing down on a piece of paper, is there any other way to make this easier? I do not mind carrying on with p&p, but the meet does start in about 2-3 weeks, and need all of the 2018-19 Winter/Spring meet done in that time. Sorry to anyone who this doesn't concern, but I would appreciate anyone who can come forward and help a young (17) capper out with his passion for horse racing! Thanks to all!
Old 12-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If I were you, I wouldn't go back any further than the last meet.
They have changed the track significantly. Old profiles are outdated.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If I were you, I wouldn't go back any further than the last meet.
They have changed the track significantly. Old profiles are outdated.
Like what I was doing correct? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
illinoisbred

Agree with Tom. And it was just announced yesterday that the Santa Anita dirt surface will undergo a renovation beginning tomorrow or Thursday. Their intent is to go with a faster surface in the upcoming meet.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Reminds me of the days of artificial surfaces there - change, change, change - no freaking idea what the hell they are doing.
Who is the Track super - Monty Hall?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:25 AM   #6
jay68802

In part of my spread sheet I do bias on a daily basis for the larger tracks. Kept it simple.

Date, # of winners that were 5+ lengths off the pace call, # of winners between 1.5 and 5 lengths, and # of winners less than 1.5 lengths. You can get it done in 5 to 10 min a day.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
classhandicapper

The best way to do it is with a database import of charts, but if you are going to use a spreadsheet or pen/paper I'd include date, race, distance, surface, (rail setting for turf), position at each call, lengths behind at each call, a little asterisk if the race went wire to wire so then the number of w2w winners jumps out at you and you can sort the spread sheet easily.

I might even do it for more than 1 horse each race. Maybe you can look at 1st and 2nd finishers or maybe include the favorite (to see if you can find any patterns of beaten favorites).

When you doing things manually there's a tradeoff between time spent and whether the extra information will actually even help.

90% of the time if I know the percentage of w2w winners at each distance, I know 90% of what helps me even though I have all sorts of other data.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
castaway01

I would take to heart the advice about Santa Anita changing its track surface. If there's ever been a track where the surface and how it plays is likely to change from the previous meeting, it's this one. In my opinion you'd be better off coming up with how you're going to track the bias in the upcoming meet and focusing on staying current throughout rather than even looking back at last year, and certainly not two years ago---especially if you're doing it by hand.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I would suggest you play Golden Gates and enjoy the bigger field and professional track maintenance, not knee-jerk jerks on tractors.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I would take to heart the advice about Santa Anita changing its track surface. If there's ever been a track where the surface and how it plays is likely to change from the previous meeting, it's this one. In my opinion you'd be better off coming up with how you're going to track the bias in the upcoming meet and focusing on staying current throughout rather than even looking back at last year, and certainly not two years ago---especially if you're doing it by hand.
Yes, that was my thought last night when I was in bed. I am now going to focus on this year and next year and keep going until I have a huge study. Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I would suggest you play Golden Gates and enjoy the bigger field and professional track maintenance, not knee-jerk jerks on tractors.
12/26/2019-6/7/2020 is when Golden Gate goes right?

Now I feel like doing GG....
Old 12-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The best way to do it is with a database import of charts, but if you are going to use a spreadsheet or pen/paper I'd include date, race, distance, surface, (rail setting for turf), position at each call, lengths behind at each call, a little asterisk if the race went wire to wire so then the number of w2w winners jumps out at you and you can sort the spread sheet easily.

I might even do it for more than 1 horse each race. Maybe you can look at 1st and 2nd finishers or maybe include the favorite (to see if you can find any patterns of beaten favorites).

When you doing things manually there's a tradeoff between time spent and whether the extra information will actually even help.

90% of the time if I know the percentage of w2w winners at each distance, I know 90% of what helps me even though I have all sorts of other data.
Basically have almost what is in bold, excluding lengths and w2w winners. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #13
lefty359

Track bias' change quickly so a long term study is, in my opinion, a waste of time.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #14
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Track bias' change quickly so a long term study is, in my opinion, a waste of time.
What is a good suggestion then? I feel like I may find something with this...
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
What is a good suggestion then? I feel like I may find something with this...
It's just a communication issue.

Typically a track "profile" is the general tendencies at the track (which I assumed you were talking about). The term "bias" is usually used to describe day to day changes in the surface that many not match the general profile.