Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
Cuffdaddy

Now CDI can add the auxiliary gate to the new gate and run 26 in the Derby.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Well, they use that second flight sometimes in harness. They could just line up the auxiliary gate behind the main gate, and anyone who felt their horse got shut out of the Derby draw unfairly is welcome to come line up in the second gate. Sure, they'd have to run through the stalls of the first gate, but hey, it's the Derby, right?!!????
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #18
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
While I do think the field is too large (it was 15 when it all started) I don't begrudge owners. These horses are young with only short careers behind them, and keeping a horse together to make the gate is a feat in and of itself, in addition to their having to earn their berth. Somebody is paying the bills to take this risk.

According to bloodstock analyst Bill Oppenheim, less than 4% of all horses that raced in North America in 2019 earned more than $100K.

Tell that to Donerail, Mine That Bird, Giacomo, Gallahadion, Charismatic, Proud Clarion, Thunder Gulch, et. al.

It's a chaos race ----- horses doing something they've never done for the first time......any horse can theoretically win. And as with all racing, there is bad luck and good luck involved as well.

That's a tough argument and a slippery slope. One could argue that many in this biz, not just owners, aren't thinking about the horse, and it doesn't only happen because they are running in the Derby. I've often put myself in the imaginary shoes of a horse, bred for the racetrack, who has fallen to a lower level claimer, in a small barn w/out a lot of money, and feeling the pain of the injuries they surely have as athletes, and you hope they are receiving enough things to keep them comfortable but we don't know if that is entirely true.

A KY Derby nominee who is close to making the gate is less likely to experience a lot of suffering.

But yes, the bizarre field size, coupled with the knowledge that these are youngsters who may still be green in some aspects, sure makes me white-knuckled every year.

Remind me again how many years did it take racing to bring in a gate that could better accommodate 20 horses?
It's worth noting that the madness is very of very recent origin. You only have to go as far back as Silver Charm to find a Derby field that fit in a 14 stall gate. And you go back to Bold Forbes and there was a 9 horse Derby field. Big fields still happened (e.g., 1974), but only some of the time.

In other words, it used to be that plenty of owners who theoretically could have run 3 year olds in the Derby skipped the race.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #19
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
You're joking, I think, but races like the Arc,for example, routinely have more than 20 starters, 30 one year although last year it was a manageable 12.

Remember this is an industry that fixes what ain't broken and leaves alone what is.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #20
Cuffdaddy

You're joking, I think,

Yes, you must of missed the laughing emoji.
I would not put anything by CDI.

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 02-06-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #21
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Turns out no #11 & #12, may have been scratched (sloppy track)
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
Clocker

Quote:

Why bother with a gate? Let's just go back to the good old days. Stretch a rope across the track, line up about 30 or more horses and drop the rope.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #23
wisconsin

Here is a list, for anyone curious:

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/upload...ize__2016_.pdf