Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #196
BlinkersOn

There was a time that the stewards were much stricter with disqualifications. In the 70's and 80's, Bayern would have been disqualified for sure, and possibly Toast Of New York. I remember Secretarial having won 5 races in a row, three of them stakes races, and he was disqualified after winning by 2 lengths in the Champagne Stakes at Belmont. The stewards said he "interfered and impeded Stop The Music", and he was placed 2nd. Secretariat then went on to run in the Laurel and beat Stop The Music by 8 lengths. He was named HOY in 72. Things have changed. Then, Bayern would have come down without a doubt. The stewards are extremely lax in California, and we are talking the white haired devil, Baffert. He wanted this race at any costs. If you think it was intentional that Garcia interfered with SB on purpose..you could be right. If you think he didn't...you could also be right. The fact is he wiped out SB at the start, and Moreno too. Moreno is injured as a result of this race.

I thought that Bayern should definitely have come down, and possibly Toast of NY. What a mess it would have been though, but I still think it would have been the right thing to do. That would have put CC and SB on the board, and I think that would have been the right move, but it was never going to happen. My surprise is that people are surprised by the California stewards doing nothing. It didn't surprise me at all.

Mike felt a jockey objection wasn't needed, because the inquiry light went on immediately, and he really thought the stewards would do the right thing. He now realizes that was foolish. If any of you belonged to FB, and had him as a friend, you would know how upset he is about this race.

The bottom line is that everyone is entitled to their opinion on this.
BlinkersOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #197
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Should I show you the pic of Smith standing up just before the quarter because of the traffic problem created by Bayern?
We all saw Smith stand up and check Shared Belief.

But you say Bayern created a traffic problem? I don't think so.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #198
Mr_Ed

Toast Of New York, too.
Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #199
Greyfox

Quote:
Toast Of New York, too.
5 runners were ahead of Shared Belief when Smith stood up.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #200
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
5 runners were ahead of Shared Belief when Smith stood up.
So you are saying CC caused an issue for SB.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #201
Greyfox

Quote:
So you are saying CC caused an issue for SB.

There was a gate "issue." Yes.
But Smith was in no hurry to get into the space that Toast of New York went into.
After that Smith looked somewhat lost and I'm not so convinced that Smith had to steady Shared Belief.
"Snooze yuh lose."
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #202
Mr_Ed

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Get turned sideways and bang heads......................you're a snoozer.

You must be a Fox News contributor.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #203
Greyfox

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. Get turned sideways and bang heads......................you're a snoozer.

Just a realist.
Sometimes I don't like the reality that I see, but it is what it is.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #204
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

No politics in horse section!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #205
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
No politics in horse section!
Yup.

I will serve my 1 day tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #206
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Turn up the sound and you can actually hear Baffert saying to Garcia, in the seconds before the press conference starts: "the ground broke out under him." And Garcia gives a quick nod.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/stor...classic-ruling

Not to ask the obvious question... Why does the trainer tell the rider who was on the horse what happened at the start?

When Garcia is asked what happened, around the 2:25 mark, he replies "well, uh, like he's (Baffert) saying, the ground broke... "
They just won the BC classic. Why do all three look so glum? And yes, you are right in what Baffert says and also what Garcia parrots later on...
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #207
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
All you want to do is correct people on here thats the only time you chime in you prick.
The funny thing is, the post TLG made that got you to go all moderator on his ass, actually WAS about the DQ.

And now you cant't post here any longer....shame
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #208
Dark Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I feel like I'm reading an episode of "The Soprano's" and Bob Baffert is Tony and Garcia is Christopher.

I have to say, Baffert sure did pull off one serious conspiracy if you believe some of the stuff in this thread.

I think it's possible that a pretty quick gate horse came blasting out of the gate sideways and it was totally organic. End of story.
It wouldn't be hard to put together a video list of favorites getting mugged right out of the gate. The Cajun boyz are especially good at the sharp left turn.

The philosophy/explanation by the stewards that this kind of pinball action doesn't affect the outcome is wonderfully absurd. As I've heard riders comment, it sets a dangerous precedent. Not so much in terms of bettors losing money, but in terms of riders and horses losing their lives.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 11-05-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #209
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

So you're saying that the only thing stopping jockeys from being murderous bastards willing to do anything for a bigger piece of the purse is the panel of stewards? I've called them "pinheads" as often as anyone, but really, I give them more credit than that.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #210
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
It wouldn't be hard to put together a video list of favorites getting mugged right out of the gate. The Cajun boyz are especially good at the sharp left turn.

The philosophy/explanation by the stewards that this kind of pinball action doesn't affect the outcome is wonderfully absurd. As I've heard riders comment, it sets a dangerous precedent. Not so much in terms of bettors losing money, but in terms of riders and horses losing their lives.
It might very well affect the outcome. The problem is it is complete speculation to determine how it would have, because it is based on assunptions of speed duels cooking Bayern and we can't be invalidating bets based on speculation.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: