Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #31
ultracapper

CC got a perfect trip. He had no excuse.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #32
porchy44

NO clear definition

Inquiries into the actions during a horse race parallels "sexual harassment" or "hostile work environment" in the workplace. There is no clear definition.

Inquiries in horse racing have no clear definitions. It is interpretations by the stewards of the events of the race.

I have seen hundreds of inquiries in racing over the years. Identical circumstances get a horse taken down some days at tracks and not taken down another day.

I say "generally" horses do not get taken down at the start of the race.
But again I use the word "generally" because it does happen.

Someone brought up Penn Nationals 3rd race yesterday where the #2 was DQ'ed for breaking out at the start.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #33
Grits

Quote:
Pace Advantage wrote: Admit it. Half the guys complaining in this thread about the non-DQ, would be the same exact guys COMPLAINING about a DQ had one occurred.
You had a great day, I was pleased for your fine handicapping and winnings. As for this opinion? What about those here on your board who have complained about the DQ in all the other threads that have been posted. They're the exact same guys? You might want to check your threads. After writing your piece on how to win on big days, you roll out this one?

And Cj, where are the rules written/located. Have the link? CHRB? Is there a difference between a 5 million dollar gate break and a 50K gate break? You wrote this (on twitter after the race).

Quote:
Cj wrote: "talking gate stuff here, not stretch, two sets of rules".
I didn't use BUY-URN. Instead, I boxed Shared Belief, California Chrome, Cigar Street, and Toast Of New York (the latter two, on your figures--one was third off the layoff, and both posted large improvement between their last two races). The loss doesn't mean anything to me. The break, and the ignoring of it, was bad for the sport.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #34
Tommy Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
http://www.drf.com/news/bayern-survi...ins-bc-classic

Jay Privman is ripping this decision apart on Twitter....which took 90 minutes to release, after they'd left the building.
Did Mike Smith riding Shared Belief and Castellano on Moreno lodge jockey objections with the stewards?
Tommy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The stewards sneaking out of the place was a nice touch.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
bcgreg

Would the results of race been different if:

1) Bayern had not come in sharply (it looked like at least 4 paths) and impeded Shared Belief and Moreno.

2) Toast of New York had not come in sharply shortly after break and taken Shared Belief's path as he was recovering from Bayern's move in.

Yes, these things happen every racing day. But the above incidents, in my opinion, changed the results of this race. Unfortunately, we will never know.

I hope that Bayern and Shared Belief and Chrome and T.O.N.Y. do battle again soon.

bcgreg
bcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #37
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgreg
Would the results of race been different if:

1) Bayern had not come in sharply (it looked like at least 4 paths) and impeded Shared Belief and Moreno.

2) Toast of New York had not come in sharply shortly after break and taken Shared Belief's path as he was recovering from Bayern's move in.

Yes, these things happen every racing day. But the above incidents, in my opinion, changed the results of this race. Unfortunately, we will never know.

I hope that Bayern and Shared Belief and Chrome and T.O.N.Y. do battle again soon.

bcgreg

Very sharp post.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #38
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
to me the only problem with the bump is that SHARED BELIEF didn't run his race and now has an excuse for the next time he runs if there is a next time.

the horse that really ran well was CALIFORNIA CHROME, you have to give the trainer all the credit in the world for getting that horse primed for a winning type race off his past 2 performances.
100% right on that, he ran big just couldn't get there had the whole stretch to do it, the finish was same 3 horses from the top of the stretch, was a great race.... SB had big excuse but had a good chance and couldn't close the gap to the top 3 down the lane........
Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #39
Greyfox

The stewards got it right.
Gate incidents happen every day.
The first leap of a horse is difficult to control and allowance is given.
If Shared Belief wasn't the favorite, this thread probably wouldn't even have reached 10 posts.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #40
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I went to calracing.com to watch the race pointed out by people.

The 4th on March 4, 2012 was a SIX FURLONG race, so the start is a lot more important than it is at 1 1/4 miles. In this race, the 6 horse came in all the way to the rail, bothering FIVE horses. Two of those horses, numbers 2 and 3, were COMPLETELY ELIMINATED from the race. They each ended up 12 lengths behind the leader a sixteenth into a 6 furlong race. The 6 ended up 2nd and was placed behind the 5 horse, who broke directly to his left and therefore was the first horse to be bothered.

The last part was questionable, as the 5 didn't really suffer a lot of trouble and ended up in a stalking position behind the leader, and the 5 was a well beaten 5th and well behind the 4th place finisher.

But other than that, this race is demonstrative of exactly what people who supported the stewards' decision are saying.In a 6 furlong race, where you wipe a couple of horses out at the start such that they have no chance at all of reaching contention, you can get disqualified.

In contrast, Shared Belief and Moreno were not eliminated from the race. They lost a couple of lengths each, but they remained in striking distance. They had every chance, over 1 1/4 miles, to make up ground on Bayern but didn't.

Further, Moreno's pace tactics are not something that can be taken into account by the stewards. They don't know whether the jockey was going to send Moreno or take back. They can only look at the horse's position and whether he clearly would have had a better finish but for what Bayern did. You can't say that about either Shared Belief or Moreno. Case closed.
So, according to you, the start of one race is a lot more important than the start of another? Therefore, we change the rules, clearly, based on distance of races, correct? Because if not, this is exactly what you've stated.

I'll ask you the same question I asked above. Where's the statute?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #41
Mr_Ed

Wow! The rabbit is long gone. Soon to be replaced with a battering ram entrymate........ala hockey enforcer.

Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #42
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
So 1 race, 3 1/2 years ago?
(2 1/2)

Anyway, lord help our legal system if case study has a 2 year limitation.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #43
SandyW

Quote:
So, according to you, the start of one race is a lot more important than the start of another? Therefore, we change the rules, clearly, based on distance of races, correct? Because if not, this is exactly what you've stated.

The stewards are not handicappers, they just follow the rules.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #44
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
The stewards are not handicappers, they just follow the rules.
Interpret.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #45
SandyW

Quote:

The statute is CHRB RULE 16:99.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply