Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #136
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter

If you want an excellent read along the same lines, try:
The Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association LINK

Thanks! I've never seen that - I actually have a little Amazon credit I think and a Kindle tucked off somewhere that hasn't been used since the summer... may have to order that one when I get home.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #137
HoofedInTheChest

On this day 65 years ago, the greatest hockey player of all time was born in Parry Sound Ontario.

Happy Birthday #4 Bobby Orr, my all time fave.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #138
ceejay

Personally, I would have put Gretzky ahead of him as a player.

My favorite is Trottier, although I am not suggesting he is the best ever. He and the Islanders shut Gretzky and a better Oilers team down (and, taught them some lessons).
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #139
notoutofpounds

Drunk Boston Bruin Fan at Tonight's Jets Game

They have to have more hockey games during Happy Hour on Payday here

Some guy wearing a possibly counterfeit and definitely very cheap Boston Bruins shirt leaned into the glass and almost into the Winnipeg Jets bench tonight and was yelling at someone on the home side.

Still mad about Tuesday's loss here or tonight's Pro Line disaster
notoutofpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #140
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Made it to my first live Jets game since their return and man did I pick the wrong game. They absolutely stunk up the joint. Would rank up there with the worst $90 I ever spent.

Oh well, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #141
HoofedInTheChest

I actually sat through that pile of cheese last night, very entertaining game. I thought that Bruins fan was barking at the Caps bench, i was shocked when i found out it was the home team, what a pantload.

I just noticed the Jets goal differential for the year, impressive stuff.

I shouldn't laugh, the Loafs will probably hand over 4 points to the Bruins this weekend, ah well, baseball season is right around the corner.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #142
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest
I actually sat through that pile of cheese last night, very entertaining game. I thought that Bruins fan was barking at the Caps bench, i was shocked when i found out it was the home team, what a pantload.

I shouldn't laugh, the Loafs will probably hand over 4 points to the Bruins this weekend, ah well, baseball season is right around the corner.
Interesting your comment about baseball. The Jets fans are famous for some outlandish chants to get on the other teams case. Example -- when Washington is in town they chant "Crosby's better" to get on Ovechkin's back. Well, when the Leafs were in town the chant was "Let's Go Blue Jays".

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #143
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Interesting your comment about baseball. The Jets fans are famous for some outlandish chants to get on the other teams case. Example -- when Washington is in town they chant "Crosby's better" to get on Ovechkin's back. Well, when the Leafs were in town the chant was "Let's Go Blue Jays".
I must admit, i caught that chant during the Leaf game, i thought it was pretty funny at the time..... good burn. Let's hope the Jays can stay healthy this year and make a run at the playoffs, iv'e been tortured enough as a Toronto fan.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #144
ldiatone

how about those pens 12 in a row without 2 of their prime players and the team trades for a big stay at home D man Murray and a good winger for the Malkin-Neal line Marrow. didn't lke the fact they gave up the young defnseman but thats one of the pens long suits.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #145
notoutofpounds

NHL

Quote:

The guy was yelling "Where are the %#$^&*+ Bruins

We should stay in this high flying Southeast Division. Florida Panthers won it last year with a -23 goal differential

Good work against Boston taking 3 of 4 Points this weekend Please stay in Sixth place Toronto
notoutofpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #146
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoutofpounds
The guy was yelling "Where are the %#$^&*+ Bruins

We should stay in this high flying Southeast Division. Florida Panthers won it last year with a -23 goal differential

Good work against Boston taking 3 of 4 Points this weekend Please stay in Sixth place Toronto
At the moment it doesn't look like anyone in your division really wants to dig down deep and compete with the Jets for the top spot, you guys just might coast into the playoffs with that third spot.

I was very impressed with the Buds over the weekend, i wish they put that kind of effort into every game, mind you they still need to learn how to play the last 5 minutes of a game.

I was thinking the other night that it looks like it's very possible that we will see a Leafs/Jets first round match-up. That will make for some interesting conversations on here..... lol. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still have 15 or so games left to play, but i look forward to the match-up if it happens.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #147
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
I was thinking the other night that it looks like it's very possible that we will see a Leafs/Jets first round match-up. That will make for some interesting conversations on here..... lol. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still have 15 or so games left to play, but i look forward to the match-up if it happens.
Is Yonge Street still on the parade route!

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #148
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Is Yonge Street still on the parade route!
Yes that's the usual route, 1993 was the last time we had a parade. 20 years later and it looks like it's time to have another, you might even see some of the Leafs on the sidewalk watching as well.

Laugh it up Trotter, Noel wont be smiling during his post game presser.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #149
ceejay

Quote:
At the moment it doesn't look like anyone in your division really wants to dig down deep and compete with the Jets for the top spot, you guys just might coast into the playoffs with that third spot.
Hasn't that often been the case in the SouthLeast?
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #150
MutuelClerk

Leaf fan here. Cautiously optimistic about the playoffs after taking three out of five points against the Bruins ( three point games suck). What's impressed me most this season is instead of acting tough. They're playing tough. Blocking shots, fights. It's easy to act tough take a dumb penalty and have a horrible PK. Exhibit A. The Leafs in the ron wilson era. Now they take the extra penalty and actually KILL the penalty. This gives you a mental and phsyical edge over your opponent. Kadri has been a blessing. We could defenitely use another D-man. Settle the goalie issue in the off season. Leafs-Habs first round? 4-5.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply