Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #61
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think the best thing to do is track the ML at your track. I have been doing a lot of research since this thread started, and some tracks are amazingly HORRIBLE. Others, pretty good.

I have found some spot plays that focus on the ML fav with a couple of simple other factors and I have seen 60%+winners, with roi's in the low .90s.

Now, win betting aside, many people play horizontals, so these could easily be singles.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #62
Thomas Roulston

It is fascinating to see what happens to morning lines when there are a lot of late scratches, such as when a race originally scheduled to be run on the turf course is taken off the turf.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #63
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

HTR has an adjusted ML that is also revised for scratches. Very powerful factor.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #64
Robert Fischer
clean money

the morning line is an 'anchor' for the public.

A good morning line takes the superficial public opinion and offers a reasonable reflection of that opinion to use as an anchor.

You never want to see a morning line maker use esoteric handicapping to make 'selections'. You never want the morning line to be a reflection of the line maker's handicapping whatsoever.

It serves as a resource for the public, and as a psychological anchor. It sets the table for players who put in the work and occasionally find an esoteric insight to have some value.

The guy in NY started to do a much better job of this recently.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #65
mikekk

[QUOTE=Robert Fischer;2370837]the morning line is an 'anchor' for the public.

I agree with this, and its value is precisely in the anchoring.

Hastings Park had a situation years ago where someone screwed up (either the publisher was incompetent, or whomever from Hastings responsible for getting them the line) and for one whole weekend( Friday, Saturday and Sunday) the program showed every horse entered with a 10-1 line.

Consternation!

It killed action for all the horizontal bets, and led to most bettors waiting until the line resolved itself before getting in line. Loong lines! The handle was down @40% for the weekend.

It might not be a resource for some people, but it IS a resource for the general betting public (if such a thing still exists!).

Mike
mikekk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #66
clocker7
Veteran

Morning lines go way back. And I am not referring to the bookies.

In the parimutuel era, racetracks first used "hand" or "rack" tickets that were printed unevenly in quantity, with horses expected to have the most volume assigned a code number ending in "zero," the second favorite ending in "1" etc, etc up to "9."

Track officials assigned those numbers in their programs, and the public generally bet them as the officials estimated.

It was an efficient way to keep ticket-printing prices down. And the guys were pretty adept.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #67
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

There is one useful piece of info in regards to the m/l and pick three betting. Looking at the will pays of a pick 3 nearly 100% of the time the lowest payoff is the m/l favorite. What this tells me is that a lot of the bettors are lazy and don’t handicapp ahead. Most of the time the will pays are far greater on all the other horses then the m/l fav. Now if I like the m/l fav of course I’m not throwing that horse out but if I don’t like then this sets up a great advantage in pic 3 price.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #68
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
There is one useful piece of info in regards to the m/l and pick three betting. Looking at the will pays of a pick 3 nearly 100% of the time the lowest payoff is the m/l favorite. What this tells me is that a lot of the bettors are lazy and don’t handicapp ahead. Most of the time the will pays are far greater on all the other horses then the m/l fav. Now if I like the m/l fav of course I’m not throwing that horse out but if I don’t like then this sets up a great advantage in pic 3 price.
That would be an interesting analysis Chippy. Tracks do not publish "probables" for the pick three, only the daily double. At least I don't know any who do.

On those situations where the ML favorite is not the win betting favorite, how many times does the Pick3 "will Pay" be lower for the ML fav?
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #69
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Speaking of ML odds, I notice that the 6th race(Woodford S G2) at Keenland tomorrow (Saturday) does not have a morning line favorite, which I don't believe I have saw before. Both the 5 (Holding Gold) and the 10(Will Call) are both 4/1. I guess he didn't want to go out on a limb and make one 7/2.

It will be interesting to see what they go off at.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry...8USA6-EQB.html
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: