Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #181
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
There is already one cited a few posts above: Bret Stephens and the NY Times.
Uh-oh! He's gonna get you, Clocker! You know what to do..

Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #182
BaffertsWig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I wonder if anti gun liberals realize that any magazine feed weapon will hold as many rounds as the magazine allows, which is only determined by the size of the magazine, not by the base weapon itself. It seems to be a popular liberal misconception that the evil "assault rifle" holds more rounds than any other easily available weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaffertsWig View Post
6 pages and not one mention of high capacity magazines? Or is that too "common sense" and obvious?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #183
elysiantraveller

Because you are attempting to ban a piece of plastic with a spring in it. It's non-sensical and there are millions in circulation. Plus let's say you limit to ten you simply carry more magazines. It's a pointless feel good band aid solution.

Most issues being thrown about have nothing to do with a real world solution which is how do we keep bad people from getting guns.

The age issue brought up earlier is stupid too. You're old enough to enlist, be issued an M4, fight and die for this country but you can't buy a semi-automatic rifle as a civilian? Nevermind that hand guns do have that age restriction and still commit far more murders than rifles.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-20-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #184
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post

Isn't it interesting how certain people get all fired up about the first amendment but then immediately go on attack when it comes to the second?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #185
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Todd acknowledged that some on the left want to abolish the 2nd Amendment, and that some on the left recognize it is not a realistic goal. He doesn't deny that many on the left, perhaps including himself, would dearly love to see it gone.
I've said many times that it is their right to do so.
OR change it.

THEY keep saying they have all this overwhelming support for strict gun control, but have no balls to try to use the constitution's own remedy for outdated sections - the amendment process.

Too scared to try, or too lazy?

I would think that if the left believed HALF of the BS they post here about mass shooting they would consider it their DUTY to try.

Talk is cheap.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #186
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I've said many times that it is their right to do so.
OR change it.

THEY keep saying they have all this overwhelming support for strict gun control, but have no balls to try to use the constitution's own remedy for outdated sections - the amendment process.

Too scared to try, or too lazy?

I would think that if the left believed HALF of the BS they post here about mass shooting they would consider it their DUTY to try.

Talk is cheap.
No reason for an amendment. Gun can be regulated by states under the constitution as it stands.

Did you see scotus deny 2 California gun owners today who did like the 10 waiting period to purchase guns in California. Or the assualt rifle sales ban in jersey and other states.

States already regulate guns no need for an amendment.

Allan
Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #187
Clocker

Quote:
You asked for a liberal who really believes the 2nd Amendment can be abolished. I give you Bret Stephens and the NY Times, and all you got is Rambo?

Stallone and Stephens and you all have one thing in common, you are all shooting blanks.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #188
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Justice Thomas' dissent of the Writ of Certiorari denial concerning the legality of Fruitville's 10-day waiting period on gun purchases.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...7-342_4hd5.pdf
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #189
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
You asked for a liberal who really believes the 2nd Amendment can be abolished. I give you Bret Stephens and the NY Times, and all you got is Rambo?
Stephens and the NYT? Stephens wrote an opinion piece that appeared in the NYT. Does the NYT support and endorse all its op-ed pieces, or have they done away with that standard disclaimer?

And I was referring to a politician or legislator on the left, not a columnist.

Btw, this was Stephens' wild rationale for repealing the 2A:

Quote:
We need to repeal the Second Amendment because most gun-control legislation is ineffective when most Americans have a guaranteed constitutional right to purchase deadly weaponry in nearly unlimited quantities.

There’s a good case to be made for owning a handgun for self-defense, or a rifle for hunting. There is no remotely sane case for being allowed to purchase, as Paddock did, 33 firearms in the space of a year. But that change can’t happen without a constitutional fix. Anything less does little more than treat the symptoms of the disease.
Now I know that very sane argument actually sounds insane to a gun nut, but I think most of America would agree with Stephens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/o...amendment.html
Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #190
chadk66

the overwhelming majority of these shootings could be prevented if we institutionalize the mental cases like we used to do.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #191
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Stephens and the NYT? Stephens wrote an opinion piece that appeared in the NYT. Does the NYT support and endorse all its op-ed pieces, or have they done away with that standard disclaimer?

Btw, this was Stephens' wild rationale for repealing the 2A:

Now I know that very sane argument actually sounds insane to a gun nut, but I think most of America would agree with Stephens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/o...amendment.html
So now we want to change the age and the number you can legally own?

There is that slippery slope.

Two questions... what's an assault rifle? Also were you against handguns after Columbine too? Honest question.

This is the problem with the gun stuff and why people get labelled as "gun nuts." There is no consistency to the arguments. After Columbine it was hand guns. After Aurora it was magazines. After Vegas It was the number of guns. Now after Florida it's the age to purchase... finally it's the let's just repeal the Amendment and start from scratch...

Quite the moving target to negotiate in good faith don't ya think?

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-20-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #192
Clocker

Quote:

You said "anyone".
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #193
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Two questions... what's an assault rifle? Also were you against handguns after Columbine too? Honest question.

This is the problem with the gun stuff and why people get labelled as "gun nuts." There is no consistency to the arguments. After Columbine it was hand guns. After Aurora it was magazines. After Vegas It was the number of guns. Now after Florida it's the age to purchase... finally it's the let's just repeal the Amendment and start from scratch...

Quite the moving target to negotiate in good faith don't ya think?
I think that was the crux of Stephens' argument.. your "moving targets" being his various "symptoms of a disease". That's why he wants to start from scratch.

And I don't know what constitutes an assault rifle. And I have never been for banning handguns. I support the right of a qualified adult to own one if they pass a thorough background check. The same goes for a rifle or shotgun.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #194
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
I think that was the crux of Stephens' argument.. your "moving targets" being his various "symptoms of a disease". That's why he wants to start from scratch.

And I don't know what constitutes an assault rifle. And I have never been for banning handguns. I support the right of a qualified adult to own one if they pass a thorough background check. The same goes for a rifle or shotgun.
What is a qualified adult?
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #195
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
What is a qualified adult?
Someone who has passed a course regarding the proper handling and operation of their firearm.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: