Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
They had a serious reduction in power to their servers yesterday.
One of the hamsters died.
The hamsters joined the local horsemen's benevolent ass'n and refused to work.
They wanted a higher percentage of the handle.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
Same here Billy..when there's so much going on...And we have 3 contest here at this site..a couple of other online contest..Maybe playing that Rainbow 6 now and then...which should get over 4 Million today. It's just hard to go back online..can't make my Marks Like I do on paper..Little reminders why I like a horse. Plus when you go out to the track ..It's hard printing out all the PP's and rummaging through them at the track. SO.....Like you...Maybe twice a month...I do buy the Paper Form. Wish ONLINE form would have a little box you could type in your own comments at the end of the PP's...Just so you remember why you liked a certain horse in the race.
You could always print out the PP's...
Why pay eight bucks for all that paper when one can buy one tracks's PP's from Equibase, Bris or Trackmaster( I think) and make notes on those.
That's what I do....
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
Aren't all horseplayers older?
Much OLDER.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ
Because over 50% of the old timers at the track wouldn't even know how to type in a web address.
What's a web address?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

The idea of this thread was originally that Sammy cannot access DRF.

Folks, y'all can come on and praise DRF and Formulator all day long.
But it ain't worth a crap IF YOU CANT ACCESS IT !!!...and that's Sammy's point.
They have undeniable problems that are not getting better. Add all the sexy bells and whistles you want...that doesn't make their stuff easy to access on big race days.

BRIS virtually never has this kind of problem.

Reliability is very important, and I doubt I'm the only guy who thinks that way. DRF online is unreliable - that's why old guys go for the print edition; they're practical.
There is another thread about which pp's you prefer, but the topic of this one is that DRF site is no good.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #21
chadk66

it might be because there are enough old people like me around that buy them out of habbit. then later ask why the heck did I buy this. But we have alzheimers and buy it again
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #22
Cholly

Another serious question...does anybody actually subscribe to DRF+? Are they actually generating revenue by selling rehashed press releases issued by the tracks?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
RXB

DRF's server has been problematic for a few years. Don't know if it was coincidental or not but the troubles seemed to start right around the time that they introduced DRF Bets.

That said, I've never had any trouble getting a subscription extended by Lonnie if there were serious issues on a particular day or series of days.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
DRF's server has been problematic for a few years. Don't know if it was coincidental or not but the troubles seemed to start right around the time that they introduced DRF Bets.

That said, I've never had any trouble getting a subscription extended by Lonnie if there were serious issues on a particular day or series of days.
There was a major overhaul done a few months ago. So naturally there were a few issues. It coincided with a new release of Formulator. So that compounded the issues. There were related and independent problems.

That's in the past.

Besides, you are right. Lonnie has always been great at what he does. He'll make sure you are treated fairly.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #25
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
There was a major overhaul done a few months ago. So naturally there were a few issues. It coincided with a new release of Formulator. So that compounded the issues. There were related and independent problems.

That's in the past.

Besides, you are right. Lonnie has always been great at what he does. He'll make sure you are treated fairly.
There have been problems well beyond the past few months; they started about three or four years ago with weekends being particularly problematic. Maybe it's better now. Anyway, people can just email cservice2@drf.com as Lonnie is a very fair guy.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #26
goatchaser

I think I mentioned this...But can you imagine printing out 4,5,6 different tracks and being at the track and shuffling all those papers around? I would feel like an accountant.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If you are weekend player, the print edition is a far better bargain than the on-line PPs. Go figure. Remove the costs of printing, delivery, and rains the price.

Lonnie is top notch.
Too bad they don't have anyone like him on the front end.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #28
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
Same here Billy..when there's so much going on...And we have 3 contest here at this site..a couple of other online contest..Maybe playing that Rainbow 6 now and then...which should get over 4 Million today. It's just hard to go back online..can't make my Marks Like I do on paper..Little reminders why I like a horse. Plus when you go out to the track ..It's hard printing out all the PP's and rummaging through them at the track. SO.....Like you...Maybe twice a month...I do buy the Paper Form. Wish ONLINE form would have a little box you could type in your own comments at the end of the PP's...Just so you remember why you liked a certain horse in the race.
Goat, you just quantified why. Thank you. Wile I do go to the track with a tablet and a smartphone, I still like paper. It's a bit easier in my office with ADW, but still, as you say, a highlighter, a pen, some notes. Pretty easy, and, if you are over 50, it's what you may have started with. Like your idea about online note taking. I have cut and pasted to notepad, but a by account addressable note would be fantastic. Nice idea.

Last edited by BettinBilly; 03-16-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #29
BELMONT 6-6-09

Have to admit I miss the days of the DRF and turning the pages while marking the paper with various colored markers...never missed too many important printed info in those days. today the cost is quite prohibitive, a shame.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09
Have to admit I miss the days of the DRF and turning the pages while marking the paper with various colored markers...never missed too many important printed info in those days. today the cost is quite prohibitive, a shame.
Absolutely, Belmont. When I started seriously playing in the 80's, you had paper. I guess picking it up once in a while is nostalgic, but as Goat and you have pointed out, it's also easy. Highlighters and a pen are all you need.

I agree with you. It is a shame.