Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
bobphilo

Belmont TG Figures

Here are the TG figures for the Belmont top finishers:

1) Sir Winston 3
2) Tacitus 1
3) Jovia 3 3/4
4) Tax 3 1/4
5) Master Fencer 3 1/2
6) Spinoff 2 3/4
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Did they use a "good rail" notation?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

I believe they have it listed with a "5* Gold Rail" notation.

Sir Winston wins by a length and gets a lesser fig than the 6th place finisher. 3rd best fig in the race.

At least this makes me feel much better about my Tacitus/Spinoff TG Sheets Exacta.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I believe they have it listed with a "5* Gold Rail" notation.

Sir Winston wins by a length and gets a lesser fig than the 6th place finisher. 3rd best fig in the race.

At least this makes me feel much better about my Tacitus/Spinoff TG Sheets Exacta.
It was pretty much expected that Tacticus would be highest rated with his very wide trip. Spinoff was a bit of a surprise. Too bad they don't pay off on that. Sorry about that. Got to watch the replay again. Useful to know, though in evaluating performance next time they run.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
bobphilo

Quote:
I didn't see one. Did you note a golden rail?

Did you post the TFUS figures? I like to look at pace, as you do, and ground loss, like TG does, when evaluating a performance

Last edited by bobphilo; 06-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
I didn't see one. Did you note a golden rail?

Did you post the TFUS figures? I like to look at pace, as you do, and ground loss, like TG does, when evaluating a performance
Here you go. Don't use much pace adjustment at 12f.

Attached Images
File Type: png Belmont.png (4.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
bobphilo

Quote:
Thanks. I thought the pace was about average. I think pace is a factor in the Belmont when it's uneven with premature moves like with Smarty Jones and Real Quiet.
Very close final figures, especially for the Belmont which tends to spread them out. Actually these 3YOs have been pretty closely packed all year with trips deciding the outcomes and different winners each race.

Last edited by bobphilo; 06-14-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
cj, has any publicly produced outlet ever made "true" speed figures ie (what I think Ragozin did) which would put Tacitus clearly with the highest figure for the Belmont?

I know you picked Tacitus, what do you think of a number regarding these for effort or possibilities?

Of course, the problem with this angle (though everyone does it it's the point of handicapping) is the question "What is the average trip"?

We know lots of horses get better trips than others, consistently, and for many reasons.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
cj, has any publicly produced outlet ever made "true" speed figures ie (what I think Ragozin did) which would put Tacitus clearly with the highest figure for the Belmont?

I know you picked Tacitus, what do you think of a number regarding these for effort or possibilities?

Of course, the problem with this angle (though everyone does it it's the point of handicapping) is the question "What is the average trip"?

We know lots of horses get better trips than others, consistently, and for many reasons.
Check the previous post and you will see the Thoro-Graph clearly gives Tacitus the highest figure for the Belmont by adjusting his figure for ground loss. That's exactly what the Rag sheets also do, though not as well. TFUS adjusts for pace. There are several trip factors that go beyond a horses raw figure in evaluating their performance. Ground loss and pace are the ones that can best be quantified. Other factors like path bias and traffic are matters of judgement. CJ can correct me on this and I think TFUS mainly uses their spotlight figure, which is the horses most recent representative race figure along with a series of check factors in making it's selection.

The next part in selection, once one has the quantified rating, is predicting what kind of trip (ground loss, pace, traffic, path) the horse will encounter in this race and to what extent that will effect his figure today.

Last edited by bobphilo; 06-15-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post

It depends what you mean by "true". If you base it only on final time, it would be impossible. But if you base it on ground traveled for each horse in conjunction with the time they ran he'd surely be in front.

Final Time (Per Trakus):

Sir Winston 2:28.30
Tacitus 2:28.47

Feet Per Second based on Trakus ground covered:

Sir Winston 8022 ft / 148.30 seconds = 54.09 feet per second
Tacitus 8077 ft / 148.47 seconds = 54.40 feet per second

Side note, this shows the ground loss is always inflated on Trakus. There is no way Sir Winston lost 102 feet of ground during this race (1 1/2 miles is 7920 feet).

Last edited by cj; 06-15-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
bobphilo

Quote:
It depends what you mean by "true". If you base it only on final time, it would be impossible. But if you base it on ground traveled for each horse in conjunction with the time they ran he'd surely be in front.

Final Time (Per Trakus):

Sir Winston 2:28.30
Tacitus 2:28.47

Feet Per Second based on Trakus ground covered:

Sir Winston 8022 ft / 148.30 seconds = 54.09 feet per second
Tacitus 8077 ft / 148.47 seconds = 54.40 feet per second

Side note, this shows the ground loss is always inflated on Trakus. There is no way Sir Winston lost 102 feet of ground during this race (1 1/2 miles is 7920 feet).
Actually, acording to Trakus, Tacitus ran 65 feet more than Sir Winston. That's about 8 lengths, which seems right considering how much wider he was on the turns.
Average speed for Sir Winston: 36.9 mph. Tacitus: 37.9 mph.

It's in their chart.

https://www.nyra.com/belmont/racing/trakus

Last edited by bobphilo; 06-15-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Actually, acording to Trakus, Tacitus ran 65 feet more than Sir Winston. That's about 8 lengths, which seems right considering how much wider he was on the turns.
Average speed for Sir Winston: 36.9 mph. Tacitus: 37.9 mph.

It's in their chart.

https://www.nyra.com/belmont/racing/trakus
Misread it, doesn't really change the point though. Feet per second for Tacitus is 54.47.

Last edited by cj; 06-15-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
bobphilo

Quote:
Misread it, doesn't really change the point though. Feet per second for Tacitus is 54.47.
My point was that the ground loss for Tacitus on Trakus was fairly accurate at 65 feet or about 8 lengths

The original question was about which figure service provided a "true" figure adjusted the way the Rags sheet does for ground loss. I explained that I'd already answered that in an earlier post. TG did that with a ground loss of about 6 lengths with a 4w4w trip while my own estimation was 7 lengths with a 4w5w trip. All within about the 7 length average ground loss by about a length.
However, just adjusting for ground loss does not give a complete "true" figure as there are other factors, such as pace and trip, etc, which play a role in evaluating a performance.

Last edited by bobphilo; 06-15-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
My point was that the ground loss for Tacitus on Trakus was fairly accurate at 65 feet or about 8 lengths

The original question was about which figure service provided a figure adjusted the way the Rags sheet does for ground loss. I explained that I'd already answered that in an earlier post. TG did that with a ground loss of about 6 lengths with a 4w4w trip while my own estimation was 7 lengths with a 4w5w trip. All within about the 7 length average ground loss by about a length.
No doubt, I was just showing that it can actually be measured and expressed mathematically.

As for the inflated ground loss I mentioned, it is pretty consistent from horse to horse so it isn't a big deal, but you can't take it literally. The differences are fine, the actual amount of ground traveled not so much.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
bobphilo

Quote:
No doubt, I was just showing that it can actually be measured and expressed mathematically.

As for the inflated ground loss I mentioned, it is pretty consistent from horse to horse so it isn't a big deal, but you can't take it literally. The differences are fine, the actual amount of ground traveled not so much.
True, no one source is perfect nor one factor to adjust for. That's why I try to compare alternate sources as well as additional factors.
I depend mainly on numbers but some factors cannot be quantified so their is no one perfect number to completely evaluate a performance.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: