Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #346
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBred17Roan
Could someone refresh my (lack of) memory. This topic is under Handifast. I would like to know who is responsible for the two versions I use HHXv21 and MT 8.2. I actually have a little better success with the HHX program and would like to know if that will be updated in the future. Thanks.

I believe HHX is done for now...

Handiman is doing a few upgrades for us with Handifast

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #347
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
MT 8.2 is Handi's program.

Incidentally, I like the HandiFast ratings (using the default weights) for Dazzling Gem in the LA Derby tomorrow! But, I don't like the fair odds for him at 4/1. I'd take his 10/1 morning line odds though - LOL. My Black Box program likes the 3 likely favs (1, 2, 6) but their prices will probably be too undervalued for me, would need 5/1+ on any of them to bet.

Getting 5-1 fair odds here...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (229.0 KB, 235 views)
Old 03-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #348
headhawg
crusty old guy

The brief history...

Doug (douglasw32) wrote a program in Visual Basic using a "system" based on how someone he knew handicapped the ponies. He called it F.A.S.T. There was something that he didn't know how to do in VB so Handiman stepped up and rewrote the code in Liberty Basic, added some features and called it Handifast. Handi had a couple of problems, one being errors in certain Bris files that caused issues. I had already worked out the datafile problem and offered to help with the code. When I added a version of the Dick Mitchell Class-Consistency and Pace-Speed numbers to Handifast it was an eXperimental version. I decided to call it HHX so that people knew that it was different from the original Handifast. I also added the ability to export the numbers to a .csv file and maybe a few other tweaks.

After that, Handi wrote the MT (multitrack) version and I started to do a nearly complete rewrite of HHX known as version 3. I got burned out writing code so I stopped working on HHXv3 probably three years ago, maybe more. There's a HHXv3 thread with some screen shots.

There was no printing capability in either version so Mike (mmdorn) has added that to both versions along with some other fixes. He's currently carrying the torch as the programmer for the current versions. As has been mentioned, Handiman is working on a new version, and it's 99-1 that I go back and finish HHXv3. I was trying to learn C# and WPF for a homegrown program, but those things didn't click with my old brain, and now my free time is spent on other things. I never say never, so it's possible that I will work on v3 again. Frankly I assumed nobody was using it so there wasn't a big incentive to keep working on it. We'll see.

Last edited by headhawg; 03-25-2016 at 04:46 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #349
TBred17Roan

Thanks Headhawg for the explanation. Just so you know I still use your program and it does have a niche in my process and I will continue to use it until it falls apart. Appreciate all the time and effort you put into it and the fact that you shared it freely. Best of luck.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #350
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBred17Roan
Thanks Headhawg for the explanation. Just so you know I still use your program and it does have a niche in my process and I will continue to use it until it falls apart. Appreciate all the time and effort you put into it and the fact that you shared it freely. Best of luck.
Ditto the above and all the best to Headhawg and Mike Dorn.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #351
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
Getting 5-1 fair odds here...
I have handifast but have not used it yet.I see you have 25 columns. Some such as ml, pts are self explanatory.I hate to ask because its a lot but can you please tell me what the column abbreviations stand for. I tried but couldn't quite figure out most of them.
Thanks in advance.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #352
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
I have handifast but have not used it yet.I see you have 25 columns. Some such as ml, pts are self explanatory.I hate to ask because its a lot but can you please tell me what the column abbreviations stand for. I tried but couldn't quite figure out most of them.
Thanks in advance.
Inside the zip file for 8.2 there is a instruction text file...
Should give you some answers..

mike
Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #353
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
Inside the zip file for 8.2 there is a instruction text file...
Should give you some answers..

mike
Thanks mike
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2016, 01:50 AM   #354
kingfin66
Bombardier

Help Needed With Program

I have downloaded Handifast following the instructions in posts 1 and 293. First, I downloaded Handifast 8.2 and extracted the files. Next, I downloaded the 8.21 patch and extracted the files to the Handifast 8.21 folder. I created a shortcut and opened the progra. It shows that I am running Handifast 8.21. So far so good. What is happening next is baffling me.

The program opens to the top of my screen and I cannot move it. The result is that key buttons on the top of the screen are inaccessible. The jpg shows what is happening. I have tried moving the file. It does not work. I have tried re-sizing. That is the way I was able to get what is showing.

Any ideas for how to fix? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture Handifast.PNG (12.9 KB, 176 views)
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 AM   #355
kingfin66
Bombardier

I seem to have solved the problem. I minimized the program and then maximized it. When I maximized it everything was there.

With that done, another question looms:

Any ideas for settings? Or, do most of you just use the default?
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #356
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
I seem to have solved the problem. I minimized the program and then maximized it. When I maximized it everything was there.

With that done, another question looms:

Experiment like I did Use your handicapping knowledge If you think class and late pace is important in turf routes,adjust the weights In sprints if you think early pace and a certain speed fig is important, do the same Run some cards thru and check to see how the winner faired Just a note a slight change in weights doesn't have much affect on the rankings
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #357
acorn54

to the developers of the software headhawg and doug. although i have never met you personally to thank you for being so generous in your labor of love-this horse program-thanks from afar. if it means anything i almost always check the selections your software comes up with for possible exacta horses with my key horse.
can't say i make a profit but it has certainly helped in continuing keeping the ponies a high point of my day, at an affordable expense.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #358
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
Yes, what upthecreek wrote... I would add that I have heard from users that they have had the most success by setting most of the weights to zero and then focusing on the weights of four or five factors.

Glad to hear that, acorn. Posts like yours, JimG's, and Tbred's might motivate me to work on HHXv3 again.

Last edited by headhawg; 03-30-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #359
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Yes, what upthecreek wrote... I would add that I have heard from users that they have had the most success by setting most of the weights to zero and then focusing on the weights of four or five factors.

Glad to hear that, acorn. Posts like yours, JimG's, and Tbred's might motivate me to work on HHXv3 again.

So that 99-1 shot has a chance...

mike
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 PM   #360
headhawg
crusty old guy

Maybe that big longshot will come in Mike. I shouldn't have left you out of my last post. I know that you're a big fan of the program.