Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #5671
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Pretty pathetic when you have to use non-words to define primitive terms.
People coin new words all the time. For example the words biogenesis and abiogenesis were unknown 200 years ago, as was the phrase spontaneous generation. The phrase irreducible complexity was coined 25 years ago. Do you consider it "pretty pathetic" that Behe had to use "non-words" to make his point?

There is nothing in the laws of logic that prohibits the coinage of new terms. Nor is there anything in the laws of logic that prohibits definitions that do not conform to those found in dictionaries.

In Elements of Geometry Euclid defined 28 terms. Although some of those may have already been in use in Euclid's time I doubt that any scholar could document who coined each of them. It's reasonable to assume that Euclid coined at least some of them.

Grok?

Last edited by Actor; 02-27-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:14 AM   #5672
Actor
Librocubicularist

Logic 103

The symbols I will use is this segment are unlikely to be those you will encounter in a logic textbook. This is because the symbols used in textbooks are not those found on computer keyboards, and although a variety of “special symbols” can be generated using various word processing programs it is not possible to guarantee that those symbols will successfully translate to a web post. Take the symbol ¬ which is used as the negation operator. This is supposed to look like the letter “L” rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise and the flipped top to bottom. Although this works on my computer there is a good chance that some readers will see something entirely different. Therefore I will use the ~ which is available on all keyboards. Some textbooks will use the ~ in any case.

SENTENTIAL LOGIC

TABLE I

Code:
Symbol   Name
------   -------
(
)
~        NOT
&.       AND
|        OR
==>      IMPLIES				IF … THEN ...
<==>     IMPLIES AND IS IMPLIED BY	IF AND ONLY IF
A[1]     SENTENCE #1
A[2]     SENTENCE #2
…
A[n]     SENTENCE #n

The parentheses mean “do what’s inside first”. In the case of nested parentheses (parentheses inside parentheses the innermost pair are done before first. For ever “(“ there must be a “)” and the “(“ must come before the corresponding “)”.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #5673
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
People coin new words all the time. For example the words biogenesis and abiogenesis were unknown 200 years ago, as was the phrase spontaneous generation. The phrase irreducible complexity was coined 25 years ago. Do you consider it "pretty pathetic" that Behe had to use "non-words" to make his point?

There is nothing in the laws of logic that prohibits the coinage of new terms. Nor is there anything in the laws of logic that prohibits definitions that do not conform to those found in dictionaries.

In Elements of Geometry Euclid defined 28 terms. Although some of those may have already been in use in Euclid's time I doubt that any scholar could document who coined each of them. It's reasonable to assume that Euclid coined at least some of them.

Grok?
Have fun conversing with yourself, Grok.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #5674
boxcar

Quote:
Logic 103

The symbols I will use is this segment are unlikely to be those you will encounter in a logic textbook. This is because the symbols used in textbooks are not those found on computer keyboards, and although a variety of “special symbols” can be generated using various word processing programs it is not possible to guarantee that those symbols will successfully translate to a web post. Take the symbol ¬ which is used as the negation operator. This is supposed to look like the letter “L” rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise and the flipped top to bottom. Although this works on my computer there is a good chance that some readers will see something entirely different. Therefore I will use the ~ which is available on all keyboards. Some textbooks will use the ~ in any case.

SENTENTIAL LOGIC

TABLE I

Code:
Symbol   Name
------   -------
(
)
~        NOT
&.       AND
|        OR
==>      IMPLIES				IF … THEN ...
<==>     IMPLIES AND IS IMPLIED BY	IF AND ONLY IF
A[1]     SENTENCE #1
A[2]     SENTENCE #2
…
A[n]     SENTENCE #n

The parentheses mean “do what’s inside first”. In the case of nested parentheses (parentheses inside parentheses the innermost pair are done before first. For ever “(“ there must be a “)” and the “(“ must come before the corresponding “)”.
Did you major in Boring in college?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #5675
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Do you want to drop the course?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #5676
boxcar

Quote:
Do you want to drop the course?
The infinitely better question is: Why didn't you while you had a chance?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #5677
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I majored in physics. I thought we had covered that.

What did you major in?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #5678
boxcar

Quote:
I majored in physics. I thought we had covered that.
Define physics. Besides, maybe you eventually became bored with physics. Or you were so brilliant you took two majors.

Quote:
What did you major in?
You have a short memory, Whiz Kid. Answer my questions in 5573 if you expect me to answer any of yours.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #5679
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Define physics.
The study of energy and force, i.e., the science of everything.

Quote:
Besides, maybe you eventually became bored with physics.
I'll never become bored with physics. It's the science of everything.

Quote:
Or you were so brilliant you took two majors.
A double major is not a matter of brilliance. It's a matter of how you schedule your courses. The B.S. degree required 120 units consisting of 40 required units, 40 units in your major, and 40 elective units. If the elective units are all from another department you can declare a second major.

Quote:
You have a short memory, Whiz Kid. Answer my questions in 5573 if you expect me to answer any of yours.
I think you've already answered the question.

Plus, not all questions are equal. Which of your questions in 5573 do you propose as equal to the question of what your major was? I could give you directions on how to get from Swampland to Oklahoma. I'd consider that a fair trade.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #5680
boxcar

Quote:
The study of energy and force, i.e., the science of everything.

I'll never become bored with physics. It's the science of everything.
And therein is the major problem with science. The "science of everything" thinks it has all the answers for every aspect of life, and if not will have them in short order.

Quote:
I think you've already answered the question.
That's what you get for "thinking".

Quote:
Plus, not all questions are equal. Which of your questions in 5573 do you propose as equal to the question of what your major was? I could give you directions on how to get from Swampland to Oklahoma. I'd consider that a fair trade.
Learn to comprehend what you read. I'm answering no more of your questions until you answer ALL questions in 5573.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #5681
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And therein is the major problem with religion. Religion thinks it has all the answers for every aspect of life, and if not will have them in short order.
FTFY!.

Last edited by Actor; 03-02-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #5682
boxcar

Quote:
FTFY!.

Christianity is THE answer for Life and Living!
Old 03-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #5683
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Christianity is THE answer for Life and Living!
A position for which there is no evidence.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #5684
boxcar

Quote:
A position for which there is no evidence.
Define evidence.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #5685
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Define evidence.
Evidence is not a 1950 year old book.