Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.80 average.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #1621
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I don't see him as a jealous person and think he is trying to stabilize America.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #1622
Clocker

Quote:
I think the task force is the first step of solving the pension problems at the USPS and throughout government.
Not in my life time. The task force has no authority to do anything and the president has no authority in this area. So it's up to Congress, which can't even repeal ObamaCare, let alone deal with these issues that are a hundred times more complex and politically toxic. They won't touch it.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #1623
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Not in my life time. The task force has no authority to do anything and the president has no authority in this area. So it's up to Congress, which can't even repeal ObamaCare, let alone deal with these issues that are a hundred times more complex and politically toxic. They won't touch it.
Clocker, I will depend on you to remind me everytime Trump fails, maybe you will finally get one of them right... You are right, government works very slow but Trump sets a nice tone and pace.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #1624
Clocker

Quote:
Clocker, I will depend on you to remind me everytime Trump fails, maybe you will finally get one of them right...
Trump hasn't seriously failed yet because he hadn't been able to get any of his crazier ideas put into operation. The first big one is tariffs, and we have yet to see anything close to the full impact, but the initial indications are negative and harmful to the American consumer.

His petty little feud with Bezos will fade away, but it's fun to point out that the emperor has no clothes.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #1625
incoming

Quote:
Trump hasn't seriously failed yet because he hadn't been able to get any of his crazier ideas put into operation. The first big one is tariffs, and we have yet to see anything close to the full impact, but the initial indications are negative and harmful to the American consumer.

His petty little feud with Bezos will fade away, but it's fun to point out that the emperor has no clothes.
Trump has already negotiated unilaterally with some of the TPP countries. He feels each country should be handled independently and not a broadly defined agreement.

Question, If you raise tariffs how much more would it cost a average family? Would the taxcuts more than offset these price hikes? Tax cuts have seen a lot of extra jobs and money in peoples' pockets over a very short span, most of it wasn't forseen this quickly. I think most Americans would rather see their friends and family with meaningful jobs even if it cost them a little more. If we can grow the middle class it is all worth it.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #1626
Clocker

Quote:

Question, If you raise tariffs how much more would it cost a average family?
A Trump spokesman on the issue stated during the campaign that his tariffs would increase the cost of living for the average American by 10-15%.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #1627
tucker6

Quote:
A Trump spokesman on the issue stated during the campaign that his tariffs would increase the cost of living for the average American by 10-15%.
On the face of it, the number quoted is too high by a factor of 100, if not more. You're talking about an inflation increase of that magnitude by the use of targeted tariffs on a few products coming from China in an economy the size of ours. Like I said, it doesn't even pass the smell test to begin the number crunching, but here are the numbers anyway.

Trump proposes a 25% tariff on approximately 11% of the items sold to the USA through China. That's $50B on trade of $479B total. So a 25% tariff on $50B in goods is about $12.5B in increased costs to Americans. China goods sold in the USA represents 1% of the goods sold annually here, which numbers $48.12T. Yes, that's in trillions. So what was that again about a 10-15% increase in cost of living? $12.5B is less than a drop in the bucket in an economy that approaches $50T annually. Certainly, a few people may see an increase that they can measure, but not many.

In the end, I come up with 0.025% increase to our average costs across the board by waging a trade war with China as proposed. Color me not excited.

Last edited by tucker6; 04-16-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #1628
tucker6

to add to my previous post, proposed tariffs of $12.5B on $479B in China exports to the USA comes to a 2.6% increase for China goods in our economy overall. As stated earlier, China goods make up 1% of our economy, so the average effect becomes 0.025%. I said it last week, the hysteria over tariffs is greatly exaggerated. It has more effect on jobs than inflation, and even that doesn't get me too worked up.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #1629
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
So what was that again about a 10-15% increase in cost of living?
Those are Trump's numbers, not mine. Are you saying that Trump doesn't understand trade and tariffs?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #1630
tucker6

Quote:
Those are Trump's numbers, not mine. Are you saying that Trump doesn't understand trade and tariffs?
Touche
Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #1631
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post

In the end, I come up with 0.025% increase to our average costs across the board by waging a trade war with China as proposed. Color me not excited.
In rereading your post, I see that we are talking about 2 different things. I haven't looked at your numbers, but you are only talking about China.

The Trump campaign was talking about all tariffs on all countries that Trump thinks are not acting fairly. A year ago, Trump put a 24% tariff on Canadian soft wood lumber that has hurt home builders and increased the cost of new homes.

Earlier this year, he put new tariffs on solar panels (China and other countries) and washing machines (mostly South Korea). I'm sure there are more to come.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #1632
tucker6

Quote:
In rereading your post, I see that we are talking about 2 different things. I haven't looked at your numbers, but you are only talking about China.

The Trump campaign was talking about all tariffs on all countries that Trump thinks are not acting fairly. A year ago, Trump put a 24% tariff on Canadian soft wood lumber that has hurt home builders and increased the cost of new homes.

Earlier this year, he put new tariffs on solar panels (China and other countries) and washing machines (mostly South Korea). I'm sure there are more to come.
Yes, I was speaking to China only. However the methodology can extrapolate easily. Given the size of the numbers involved between domestic and foreign products, I’d find it hard to believe that we’d ever get to 10%. That’s a ton of tariffs.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #1633
incoming

WORKING....WORKING....WORKING

President Trump and the First Lady will be meeting with Japan's prime minister and wife for a three day meeting in Mar-A-Lago. Topics that will be discussed North Korea, tariffs and the $350 billion trade deficit.

http://time.com/5242693/donald-trump...e-north-korea/
Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #1634
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Who is that Trump spokesman you mention?

Last edited by reckless; 04-17-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #1635
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
President Trump and the First Lady will be meeting with Japan's prime minister and wife for a three day meeting in Mar-A-Lago. Topics that will be discussed North Korea, tariffs and the $350 billion trade deficit.
Meanwhile, the Dems will be meeting with a stripper and her lawyer.

Who's getting the job done here?