Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.80 average.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #1591
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
How much has the post office lost over the last 10 years and the tax payers pickedup.....18,000,000,000 just this past year....I know chump change or perhaps wall money.
The USPS is losing money, but big shippers like Amazon and other e-tailers are not the cause of the losses. Amazon pays more per package that it costs the USPS to ship because Amazon does most of the work and hands off the packages to the USPS for the "last mile". Those losses would be even higher without the business of Amazon and other large shippers.

Quote:
Despite the president’s claims that these online retailers are creating a loss for the Postal Service, Amazon and other e-commerce sites have been helping to stanch the Post Office’s declining cashflow. Shipping and package revenue is on track to surpass first-class mail revenue. The Post Office itself said that e-commerce was helping to keep it afloat. Amazon has also pointed out that the Postal Regulatory Commission has found the USPS’s contract with Amazon to be profitable, the New York Times reported.
http://fortune.com/2018/03/29/donald...-losing-money/
Old 04-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #1592
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The USPS is losing money, but big shippers like Amazon and other e-tailers are not the cause of the losses. Amazon pays more per package that it costs the USPS to ship because Amazon does most of the work and hands off the packages to the USPS for the "last mile". Those losses would be even higher without the business of Amazon and other large shippers.

How much is the going rate for Amazon's deliveries.... if they weren't useing the monoply USPS to delivery their packages. Their discount that they negociated with USPS is being payed by taxpayers. This allow them to undercut the mom and pop businesses. In other words they are using taxpayers to cut profits on small business. Amazon also attaches monthly delivery fees for some of their subscription based sales. By using the subsidized price of the USPS they are making money on these types of deliveries, again undercutting profits for small business. In other words, Amazon should be paying a market oriented price for theiir deliveries and not a subsidized price thru USPS. Amazon should be paying about $1.50 more for each USPS delivery.

Explained in detail at the link:

battling links...love it....which one is fake news.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #1593
Clocker

Quote:
In other words, Amazon should be paying a market oriented price for theiir deliveries and not a subsidized price thru USPS. Amazon should be paying about $1.50 more for each USPS delivery.

Explained in detail at the link:

battling links...love it....which one is fake news.
That link doesn't say that Amazon should be paying more, it says that Trump claims they should.

Amazon is paying a market price to the USPS. It is negotiated based on how much of the shipping is done by Amazon and how much by the USPS in delivering the "last mile". It costs the USPS a lot less to deliver an Amazon package than to deliver a package you send to a relative at Xmas. The USPS says that they are making money from it and would be in worse financial shape without it, so it is not subsidized.

The $1.46 per package more that they "should" be paying was put out there by Trump in a tweet. As the article says, he got it from a news story about a Citigroup analysis, he did not get it from the USPS. Here again, Trump is reacting to something he heard through the media and taking it as fact.

The Citigroup analysis is based on speculation about the costs and rates, because they do not have the actual data. Negotiated rates between the USPS and large shippers are confidential, not even available through a Freedom of Information request. Citigroup estimated that the number was $1.46, and Trump repeated it as fact.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #1594
incoming

Quote:
That link doesn't say that Amazon should be paying more, it says that Trump claims they should.

Amazon is paying a market price to the USPS. It is negotiated based on how much of the shipping is done by Amazon and how much by the USPS in delivering the "last mile". It costs the USPS a lot less to deliver an Amazon package than to deliver a package you send to a relative at Xmas. The USPS says that they are making money from it and would be in worse financial shape without it, so it is not subsidized.
What do you mean the last mile......Amazon MAY delivery their packages from their warehouse to the nearest postoffice distribution center they don't delivery to the destination cities.....what would be the point.

The truth remains....the postoffice subsidies increased by more than double last year.

I guess we will need to wait on the task force's report to find out the truth. out

Last edited by incoming; 04-15-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #1595
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
They will never get it......
No, really. Tell me what details of that article serve to increase his appeal to you.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #1596
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I guess you didn't like my answer. It's not that the linked article has anything that makes Trump more appealing. It's that the efforts by the writer and others to take down a fairly elected president are so odious that they must be opposed. Pretty simple, really.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #1597
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
No, really. Tell me what details of that article serve to increase his appeal to you.
I like his tan and haircut, but I'm superficial and shallow like that. Just like the rest of us deplorables and crumb eaters.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #1598
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I guess you didn't like my answer.
Sorry, didn't realize you were Ralph's spokesperson.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #1599
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Just trying to help out a Buckeye brother
Old 04-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #1600
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
That article makes me want to vote for him even more
Voting for Donald Trump, before and in 2020, is a no-brainer.

The anti-Trumpstress writer is obviously clueless when she wrote that the US Post Office is losing money because of 'email' and 'electronic bill paying'... People stopped 'using' the Post Office a few decades ago, long before technology and email was close to reaching critical mass.

People had stopped writing personal letters and correspondence, period! Plus the Postal 'service' was quite poor, to be kind.

It wasn't a joke that sending a letter to someone two blocks away years ago didn't get there for a week.

Hell, if you don't believe me, Fed Ex became a multi-billion dollar business -- all on the promise that they would guarantee next day delivery. All based on a college thesis written by a C-student, Fred Smith.

How about that; Fed Ex picks up your letter, flies it to Tennessee, flies it back to your home town and it's on your desk by 10 a.m., or worse, noon time next day. The Post Office, with over a hundreds years of infrastructure in place, couldn't --or wouldn't-- take advantage of this edge.

The US Post Office has become a joke, sad to say. As has RedState, btw.

Last edited by reckless; 04-15-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #1601
Clocker

Quote:
What do you mean the last mile......Amazon MAY delivery their packages from their warehouse to the nearest postoffice distribution center they don't delivery to the destination cities.....what would be the point.
Last mile is a figure of speech. Amazon has 35 distribution centers. They deliver the package to the USPS from the Amazon location closest to the customer.

Citigroup, without knowledge of what rates Amazon pays, says the USPS is losing money on that business.

The USPS says that they make money on Amazon and on other e-commerce shippers, and would be financially worse off without them. Who you gonna believe?

Last edited by Clocker; 04-15-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #1602
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
The USPS says that they make money on Amazon and on other e-commerce shippers, and would be financially worse off without them. Who you gonna believe?
Donald Trump, of course !
Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #1603
FantasticDan
gelding

Bird-brain does yet another favor for his oil buddies and strips wildlife protections that have been in place for 100 years..

Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #1604
tucker6

Quote:
Last mile is a figure of speech. Amazon has 35 distribution centers. They deliver the package to the USPS from the Amazon location closest to the customer.

Citigroup, without knowledge of what rates Amazon pays, says the USPS is losing money on that business.

Since the USPS runs annual deficits into the billions, I don't believe they understand nor do they know how to run their business. So no, I don't believe them. That isn't to say Citigroup is right, but since they get paid to get it right, I'd go with them. The other guys are just govt bureaucrats.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #1605
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Since the USPS runs annual deficits into the billions, I don't believe they understand nor do they know how to run their business. So no, I don't believe them. That isn't to say Citigroup is right, but since they get paid to get it right, I'd go with them. The other guys are just govt bureaucrats.
The USPS is required by law to fund it's retirement account upfront. An absurd stipulation put on it by congress.
Closed Thread