Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

rule changes needed in NFL

Don't know about you, but I hate the repeated kick offs being passed and flying through the end zone with NO RUN BACK. A run back is almost a lost aspect of the game anymore.

The USFL and Xtreme football leagues have found logical ways to alter the kickoff with good and safe results. The NFL should study these to see what would work for them

Second, or should I say FIRST and FOREMOST: they need to get away from open ended yardage on pass interference penalties. I hate seeing a game, MY team or the competition, get 40 yards and a first down on moe of these abominations. Go back to the college rules.

I think late in some games, when the team behind needs a big chuck of yardage, the QB just throws one hoping randomly that there will be a call this way
Old 11-22-2023, 01:00 PM   #2
Bustin Stones

I think they should do away with the kickoff completely and give the receiving team the ball on the 25. Having opposing players collide at full speed is blood lust. You really want some of the best athletes in the country gambling their future on this play?
The interference penalty being just 10 yards would lead to DBs tackling any receiver that beat them. It's the only smart play.
What I think should change is the timing of the final 3 minutes. It takes more than 30 minutes with all the reviews, timeouts, fake injuries and ball spikes. A gentleman named Elam devised a plan for basketball that involves implementing a target score to end a game. You just abandon the clock and play to a target score. Teams would continue to play as they do the rest of the game as there would be no advantage to slowing down. Games might last longer, but it would be filled with action, not standing around.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2023, 03:11 PM   #3
woodbinepmi

Pass interference calls should be judge mental calls like they use on roughing the punter call. Officials decide if it's a spot call or a 15 yard penalty.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:18 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

The thing is with PI if the receiver is not interfered with he often would have at least gained the spot of the foul and may have taken it to the house. I agree with eliminating kick offs, replace the onside with a 4th and 15 from a team's 35. There are too many ex NFL players who are 50 going on 85.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2023, 07:20 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
Pass interference calls should be judge mental calls like they use on roughing the punter call. Officials decide if it's a spot call or a 15 yard penalty.

I think any one over 15 yards should be reviewed.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #6
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Holy cow, I agree with 46% for once. I've always thought spot fouls on low-percentage plays are overly penal. They assume the catch would have been made without the contact, and I personally think that's assuming too much. Fifteen yards and a first down still sustains a drive, but you still have to earn that extra 20-, 30-, 40 yards.

I also think 10 yards for holding is excessive: you're bringing the play back - that's one penalty; and you're losing yards. Double Jeopardy!

I don't care about kickoffs by now. I was a little perturbed when they changed that up, but I'm used to it.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
Ahorsewithnoname

I had an idea for the kickoff. If the kicker can make it threw the goal post. The kicking team gets 1 point and the recieving team gets the ball on the 25 yard line. This makes it so the kickoff means something.
Ahorsewithnoname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 01:48 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahorsewithnoname View Post
I had an idea for the kickoff. If the kicker can make it threw the goal post. The kicking team gets 1 point and the recieving team gets the ball on the 25 yard line. This makes it so the kickoff means something.

Isn't there some version of football where a kick off through the uprights is worth a point?
Old 11-24-2023, 03:03 PM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Isn't there some version of football where a kick off through the uprights is worth a point?
I posted that weird one point play here in a youtube video. It has to do with a kick muffed, other team gets the ball but is tackled in the end zone.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:14 PM   #10
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I think dirt is referring to Aussie rules, or rugby, or New Zealand-style...something like that.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2023, 09:54 PM   #11
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Are you thinking of the CFL, where teams can score a "rouge?"

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/cfl/...qhhwccffvapzx1
Old 11-26-2023, 11:05 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Are you thinking of the CFL, where teams can score a "rouge?"

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/cfl/...qhhwccffvapzx1

Maybe that was it and I was confused.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:09 AM   #13
woodbinepmi

Was at this game, it's a one point safety.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:11 AM   #14
woodbinepmi

These are free kicks

Old 12-06-2023, 07:32 PM   #15
kingfin66
Bombardier

1. There is no consistency in pass interference calls. I am a Seattle Seahawks fan and was very frustrated while watching their past two games. Clearly some of the penalties were PI, but I am not certain about all of them. Also, in the previous game against LA, there was a critical PI call in the end zone that ultimately cost them the game. That call was definitely not PI as the receiver tripped over another player (not the DB defending him).

Solution: Make PI and other calls reviewable, not by throwing a red flag, but do it the way it is done in college. Change reply to something similar to what is done in MLB where calls are reviewed by one crew who are located in NY.

2. Defensive penalties that cost 5 yards, but result in automatic first downs. Illegal contact and illegal hands to the face. These are penalties, but they often bail the offense out. Change them to 5 yard penalties, but take away the automatic first down aspect of it.