Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-13-2023, 08:06 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It isn't much different than the 1 1/4 mile at Belmont if we're being honest.
The turns are tighter. But it's a long race so even if a horse gets hung out a bit early on there's plenty of time to recover from it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2023, 01:22 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Opportunity?

2025 start Toga 2 weeks early, first week of July
Run the Belmont at 10 furlongs,
Use this as the template for the future

Derby 1st week in May
Preakness 1sdt week in June
Belmont 1st week in July, back at Belmont
Old 06-14-2023, 11:34 PM   #18
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
There is absolutely no chance a Belmont Stakes at Saratoga or Aqueduct would be run at 1 1/2 miles in this day and age.

A 1 1/4 mile race is most likely what will happen if it has to be temporary relocated to either venue.
Its impossible at Saratoga because Union Avenue is right where a chute would have to be constructed to extend the home stretch
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...cWJf?entry=ttu
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #19
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Its impossible at Saratoga because Union Avenue is right where a chute would have to be constructed to extend the home stretch
That's not how you run 1 1/2 miles at Saratoga. You do exactly what NYRA did when Belmont was under construction in the 1960's and they ran the Belmont at Aqueduct- start on the turn at the 3/8ths pole.

You can watch how they did it here, with the start of Quadrangle's Belmont.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:24 PM   #20
Publius

Spa & Big A tracks are identical size.

Difference is NYRA will never hold the Belmont Stakes at Aqueduct. The place is a dump. The Spa is the crown jewel of American race tracks. The 2025 Belmont Stakes will be run at Saratoga Race Course.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #21
Thomas Roulston

Would it be possible to build a chute at the head of the stretch that would permit 1 1/2-mile dirt races at Saratoga? (If the only "obstacle" is the loss of a few parking spaces, then it is possible; after all, didn't they sacrifice a few parking spaces to bring back the Wilson Mile chute?).

If not, another possibility is to run the Belmont at a mile and a half on grass. Doesn't Canada do that with the third jewel of their Triple Crown (the Breeders' Stakes)?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2023, 03:06 PM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Would it be possible to build a chute at the head of the stretch that would permit 1 1/2-mile dirt races at Saratoga? (If the only "obstacle" is the loss of a few parking spaces, then it is possible; after all, didn't they sacrifice a few parking spaces to bring back the Wilson Mile chute?).

If not, another possibility is to run the Belmont at a mile and a half on grass. Doesn't Canada do that with the third jewel of their Triple Crown (the Breeders' Stakes)?
Union Avenue sits directly behind the homestretch. You can see it here.

So no, Saratoga can't build a frontstretch chute (and of course there would be no reason to anyway for a track that runs in the summer (and thus doesn't run straightaway 2 year old races) and doesn't run quarter horse races).

They'll start on the turn. NYRA already has the blueprint for doing this- they did this for several Belmonts AND other 1 1/2 mile races at Aqueduct during the 1960's. They know how to do it.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:22 AM   #23
Big K

Quote:

Aqueduct is not a dump. It's a great place to watch racing. I don't understand why everybody loves to knock the place. Run the Belmont at the Big A!
Big K is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2023, 02:36 PM   #24
elhelmete

Quote:

Absolutely none of this needs to happen for a ONE YEAR change to the Belmont's venue.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2023, 07:18 PM   #25
Publius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K View Post
Aqueduct is not a dump. It's a great place to watch racing. I don't understand why everybody loves to knock the place. Run the Belmont at the Big A!

Aqueduct is a dump. But it is our dump. The facility is no longer able to hold an event such as the Belmont Stakes Festival. The SPA in 2025 will be a classic edition of the Belmont Stakes.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2023, 07:26 PM   #26
lex

Quote:
I love the Big A. Something special about the gulls walking around inside with you and I'm absolutely serious about that. It's like being able to enjoy a fancy restaurant (Saratoga) but being super comfortable at a dive bar. (Aqueduct). Even the Pope has hit up Aqueduct.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #27
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Opportunity?

2025 start Toga 2 weeks early, first week of July
Run the Belmont at 10 furlongs,
Use this as the template for the future

Derby 1st week in May
Preakness 1sdt week in June
Belmont 1st week in July, back at Belmont
Of course that’s what probably going on . I don’t know about your theory on the distance or dates . But they’re itching to extend the season . It used to be 24 days now it’s 40……. Over the years . The logistics of moving all the crap up and down I 87 is a huge task . Closing day the sadness sets in when you see the 50 some odd moving trucks lined up. If the Belmont is here they won’t want to do that twice . I highly doubt they’d do some “boutique” 5 day deal up here . Between the move and hiring theres no way . Selling a “Special” 10 to 12 week meet how ever , They’re itching probably to hammer that thru. This meet coming up (Saratoga) has been a slam dunk for NYRA for years now . I’ve seen it evolve and expand for years . The Summer place to be …. And this year you can literally be here all summer ! Of course , Aqueduct is the easy way but Saratoga is the attendance, attention and money way .

Last edited by burnsy; 06-29-2023 at 09:29 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2023, 09:54 AM   #28
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Of course that’s what probably going on . I don’t know about your theory on the distance or dates . But they’re itching to extend the season . It used to be 24 days now it’s 40……. Over the years . The logistics of moving all the crap up and down I 87 is a huge task . Closing day the sadness sets in when you see the 50 some odd moving trucks lined up. If the Belmont is here they won’t want to do that twice . I highly doubt they’d do some “boutique” 5 day deal up here . Between the move and hiring theres no way . Selling a “Special” 10 to 12 week meet how ever , They’re itching probably to hammer that thru. This meet coming up (Saratoga) has been a slam dunk for NYRA for years now . I’ve seen it evolve and expand for years . The Summer place to be …. And this year you can literally be here all summer ! Of course , Aqueduct is the easy way but Saratoga is the attendance, attention and money way .
John, with all this itching you're suggesting, you might want to see a doctor. That's the only itching going on that I can see. I'm surprised you haven't gotten tired of all the BS rumors that fly around Saratoga. You've lived there an awfully long time.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2023, 10:34 AM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Do three laps around the harness oval, problem solved.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2023, 04:32 PM   #30
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Aqueduct has easily the best dirt racing of all the 3 NYRA tracks.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply