Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
TheGarMan

( Don't Laugh) - Is anyone considering Quip?

Quip logged his final work this morning at Keeneland.

He has 3 wins in 5 lifetime starts, losing only to Magnum Moon last out in Arkansas.

He has been pointed toward the Preakness for a while.

While I think Justify and Good Magic are a cut above, my thinking is you got to consider Quip for a piece, maybe more. (Exotics at a minimum?) -

Thoughts on Quip?
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post
Quip logged his final work this morning at Keeneland.

He has 3 wins in 5 lifetime starts, losing only to Magnum Moon last out in Arkansas.

He has been pointed toward the Preakness for a while.

While I think Justify and Good Magic are a cut above, my thinking is you got to consider Quip for a piece, maybe more. (Exotics at a minimum?) -

Thoughts on Quip?
3rd at best... and I doubt that... he was life and death to beat World of Trouble... and running second to Magnum Moon hardly makes me think any higher of him.

But imo it’s a race not with playing unless you plan on hammering a straight exacta or tri.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
3rd at best... and I doubt that... he was life and death to beat World of Trouble... and running second to Magnum Moon hardly makes me think any higher of him.

But imo it’s a race not with playing unless you plan on hammering a straight exacta or tri.
Thanks. I agree with your points, but we are attending the race, and want to have some extra "stake in the game" so to speak. (I can't just "pass" )

I'm probably out stretching for a longshot that just isn't there.

The most obvious bet that I am really trying to look past for now is the standard Justify / Good Magic exacta. I'll play it if I have to, but I want to do all my due diligence first - A Justy / GM/ Quip tri may get me started.

Should be an interesting week, with everyone and their mother searching for value under the "Big 2".
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Thanks. I agree with your points, but we are attending the race, and want to have some extra "stake in the game" so to speak. (I can't just "pass" )

I'm probably out stretching for a longshot that just isn't there.

The most obvious bet that I am really trying to look past for now is the standard Justify / Good Magic exacta. I'll play it if I have to, but I want to do all my due diligence first - A Justy / GM/ Quip tri may get me started.

Should be an interesting week, with everyone and their mother searching for value under the "Big 2".
Well if you are looking for a play I would suggest Sporting Chance. He has the potential for some good stuff but is empty between the ears.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
letswastemoney

Justify will discourage every horse on the front end not named Good Magic. If some quirky longshot comes into play, it will probably be a closer.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
PoloUK6108

I'm buying Quip somewhat. He's pointed to this race, he's micro managed by very bright French trainer that works all his horses himself. He gets his French jockey that's absolutely sizzling on horses that want to be up front. Stuff happens when they've linked up before. Why not?
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #7
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Justify will discourage every horse on the front end not named Good Magic. If some quirky longshot comes into play, it will probably be a closer.
Maybe Chad can get Javier to act as a rabbit and send a hopeless horse?

not sure how good magic can do the dirty work and win.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Maybe Chad can get Javier to act as a rabbit and send a hopeless horse?

not sure how good magic can do the dirty work and win.
I think Lukas stated somewhere that Sporting Chance will go to the front, so he can do some dirty work. Not sure who else is brave enough. Diamond King perhaps.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
MadVindication

Runaway Ghost is my upset pick, for the sake of making one.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
I think Lukas stated somewhere that Sporting Chance will go to the front, so he can do some dirty work. Not sure who else is brave enough. Diamond King perhaps.
maybe, he refused to breeze today, so there may be something physically wrong with him.

I hope justify draws well so if someone gets goof he has some options.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #11
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
Runaway Ghost is my upset pick, for the sake of making one.
I'm not sure if he's running tho?
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
Dream_Police

Remember when Pharoah won the Preakness(in the monsoon) the tri was pretty healthy.
Dream_Police is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Any reason Quip and Justify won't be coupled?

Looks like the same owners groups for both colts. Not sure what the Maryland racing rules are for couplings though.

Kind of an interesting placing for this colt in this race, maybe these owners think Justify's hoof issue is a bigger concern than what connections are making it out to be.

Quip is a nice looking, athletic colt who has shown a lot of gameness in his last two. Should stalk and pounce, but looks talent wise, a cut below the top two here. If Justify comes into the race sub par, maybe be gets a piece with Good Magic.

Brisset, Quip's trainer, had Justify early on before he was sent to Baffert, so he should know what he is up against.

Last edited by Wiley; 05-14-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

It looks like in Maryland, couplings are not used for wagering in stakes races for entries with the same ownership, so I see why Justify and Quip will not be coupled.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #15
clicknow

Quote:
Thoughts on Quip?
Seems like many of the horses from the jockey club stakes turn out to be disappointments. Maybe a breakthrough will occur.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply