Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #106
PoloUK6108

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I spend about a week learning about all the horses in this race. I enjoy "the puzzle". After that part is over, I hardly even care to make a wager. I just enjoy the analyzing part and mostly reading other's perceptions....often very different from what I see, but that is always instructive.

It's different with horses like Gun Runner, who I've watched develop over the years and become a champ. I usually don't get emotionally invested in horses who don't run til at least 5 years old.....and the trainers who race them like that....patiently and lovingly.

In the Derby I try to make a wager that qualifies as "bet a little, win a lot". It's the one time I get a little crazy with my choices, since it's a chaos race.
Spot on my friend. Gun Runner was my Derby horse from Fairgrounds on and the ride to the wire in the Pegasus was spectacular. He was my guy.

Each year I find a new one to latch on to. Luckily this year I landed on Good Magic when he saved my whole BC Saturday. I will follow him til retirement.

For instance, I'm rooting for Hence (my 2017 pick) tomorrow to pull the upset in the Alysheba. And I pull for Mubtaahij every race he runs..my pick to beat American Pharoah.

I play the races every weekend, but I stay loyal to my Derby picks. Just another part of this wonderful game.

Go Good Magic!
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #107
GMB@BP

Has Rayya finished yet?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #108
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Has Rayya finished yet?
yes, at 6:32 pm.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #109
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
yes, at 6:32 pm.
well she should have been very comfortable,was an inside speed track.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #110
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
well she should have been very comfortable,was an inside speed track.
Blew by the maintenance crew in the final quarter.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #111
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Blew by the maintenance crew in the final quarter.

I wish all horses well but this is funny!!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #112
dballard125

He won’t be in my Top 3 but wish everyone good luck tomorrow.
dballard125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #113
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballard125 View Post
He won’t be in my Top 3 but wish everyone good luck tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #114
GMB@BP

Another horse we can get a gauge on for Mendelssohn runs in the Pat Day, Seahenge, his stablemate and who has been a few lengths off him in a couple races. He got buried as well in that Dubai dirt race, could not make the lead and it was Kaput with the gold rail.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:13 AM   #115
CincyHorseplayer

My early love and the Thorograph -4 is killing me about this horse!

Really considering main tickets to Bolt, Audible, and Vino. It will be dogshit payoffs anyway elsewhere unless a bomber. Today was decent but sterile payoffs. Only the yearlings think all Derby payoffs are golden.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #116
depalma113

I have nothing against Mendelssohn at all. I think he is a decent horse who can win against the right field. I don't believe this is the right field though.

Last year he was their BC Juvenile dirt horse and than at the last minute they decided it was better to put him on the turf because he had been a disappointment up until that point. He needed a grade one win and they thought the best chance was in the BC Juvenile Turf. They were not willing to face American dirt horses with an American dirt pedigree and that is what bothers me about this horse. The connections had no faith in him last fall.

Next he shows up in Dubai and runs away from the field. Suddenly he's a monster on dirt without any perspective at all. Some of the best handicappers in the business are ignoring the bias and they are ignoring the horses that ran behind him.

The Beyer guys give him a 106. That screams Sinister Minister.

One trick I learned about big Beyers earned in a blowout win, on a speed favoring track, is that if you cut the lengths of win in half and subtract it from the Beyer, you get a truer number. That puts Mendelssohn at a 97. A 97 is average with this bunch.

At 25-1, I'm all in on this horse, at 5-1 I don't want average.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #117
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
I have nothing against Mendelssohn at all. I think he is a decent horse who can win against the right field. I don't believe this is the right field though.

Last year he was their BC Juvenile dirt horse and than at the last minute they decided it was better to put him on the turf because he had been a disappointment up until that point. He needed a grade one win and they thought the best chance was in the BC Juvenile Turf. They were not willing to face American dirt horses with an American dirt pedigree and that is what bothers me about this horse. The connections had no faith in him last fall.

Next he shows up in Dubai and runs away from the field. Suddenly he's a monster on dirt without any perspective at all. Some of the best handicappers in the business are ignoring the bias and they are ignoring the horses that ran behind him.

One trick I learned about big Beyers earned in a blowout win, on a speed favoring track, is that if you cut the lengths of win in half and subtract it from the Beyer, you get a truer number. That puts Mendelssohn at a 97. A 97 is average with this bunch.

Very well said Depalma. There is so much beastly about this horse IMO. But so much that reeks of falsehood.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #118
Afleet

If I owned Mendelssohn I would scratch. If I owned any horse in any of the remaining races I would scratch
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #119
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post

I think Mendelssohn ran great! It took the entire field to beat him!