Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #46
GMB@BP

Churchill is the worst thing that ever happened to the horse player.

I am sadly giving them some money this weekend, but thats it, no bets after today.

Cant even watch their tracks replays to handicap.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #47
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I agree with what you are saying, but what was the lesson learned from slot revenue?

Suddenly revenue for the track exploded but the costs did not rise because all the money was given them. The tracks were flooded with money to raise purses and take out, and pocket the rest as profit.
You are making a good point.

The economics of the sport are bad.

Owners are putting up a lot of money and have huge operating costs. It's tough for them to break even unless purses are pretty high. But to fill fields, you need more owners and horses. That means you need attractive purses to attract owners.

At the same time, to attract players a lower take would make the sport more competitive with sports gambling etc... That would raise handle and generate more money.

It's a tough balancing act when at the same time you have corrupt incompetent politicians looking to get a bigger piece of the pie.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #48
PointGiven

To attract new customers you need to have more availability, visibility, and accessibility. I can't think of a another business that makes it so difficult for people to give them money.

That the first rule of business- make it easy and desirable for folks to give you money.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #49
Andy Asaro

TV ratings down 13%. NBC isn't the answer unless they concentrate on the gambling a little more.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #50
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

People who run race track have to be the most selfish, clueless idiots out there.
The deal with slot revenue, while I strongly advocate not one penny going to the leeches in racing, at least mandate it be used 100% for purses.

Too bad the BC is at CD this years - after this weekend, I have little desire to ever watch another race there. Good

Derby but the racing itself, IMHO sucked.

Say, anyone know what the special today in the cafeteria is?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot2408.jpg (9.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #51
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
TV ratings down 13%. NBC isn't the answer unless they concentrate on the gambling a little more.

The hats all got wet.

And get rid of basically EVERYONE on air except Randy Moss.
No one else had anything to offer.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #52
dilanesp

Quote:
Um, no, Andy. Concentrating on the gambling gets you a much lower rating.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #53
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Um, no, Andy. Concentrating on the gambling gets you a much lower rating.
Right, the entertainment angle has worked so well over the years.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #54
dilanesp

Quote:
Right, the entertainment angle has worked so well over the years.
Actually it has. The Derby is one of the most lucrative live sports properties and gets one of the biggest rights fees. And it has basically NEVER been covered in a handicapper friendly fashion.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #55
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Actually it has. The Derby is one of the most lucrative live sports properties and gets one of the biggest rights fees. And it has basically NEVER been covered in a handicapper friendly fashion.
We're talking about NBC coverage. And everyone knows big days are entertaining and great gambles.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #56
dilanesp

Quote:
We're talking about NBC coverage. And everyone knows big days are entertaining and great gambles.
So how come the Breeders' Cup has always gotten a terrible rating?

No, Andy, pageantry gets the rating.

At any rate, I assure you the people at NBC Sports know 10 times more about how to draw an audience than anyone here.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #57
classhandicapper

Quote:
I don't mind some of the tearjerker profiles. I even like some of them. At least they are about the horses and connections. But the fashion stuff is an enormous waste of time and probably a turnoff for many viewers.

I mean, we get it, a lot of women get dolled up and wear fancy hats for the Derby. But this is a sport about horses and gambling. 98% of the broadcast should be interviews and profiles of the owners, trainers, jockeys, handicappers, track officials, replays of the prior races on the card, replays of Derby horses' prior races, and then throw in 2% for a few celebrities and their picks. If I have to see one more minute of some stupid outfit or hear one more explanation of why "yellow" is the "in color" this year I'm going to stop watching the broadcast altogether and sit at my computer and just watch the track feed. No one I know gives a crap about the fashion. They care about the sport, the participants, and winning a bet.

The handle was way up despite several glitches at ADWs. Otherwise, it may have been up by even more. The economy hitting on all cylinders and unemployment being so low is helping, but still. That means there's a ton of interest. Yet ratings were down. That's telling you something too. The show they are putting on sucks.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-06-2018 at 12:51 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #58
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I don't mind some of the tearjerker profiles. I even like some of them. At least they are about the horses and connections. But the fashion stuff is an enormous waste of time and probably a turnoff for many viewers.

I mean, we get, a lot of women get dolled up and wear fancy hats for the Derby. But this is a sport about horses and gambling. 98% of the broadcast should be interviews and profiles of owners, trainers, jockeys, handicappers, track officials, replays of the prior races on the card, replays of Derby horses' prior races, and then throw in 2% for a few celebrities and their picks. If I have to see one more minute of some stupid outfit or hear one more explanation of why "yellow" is the "in color" this year I'm going to stop watching the broadcast altogether and sit at my computer and just watch the track feed. No one I know gives a crap about the fashion.

The handle was way up despite several glitches at ADWs. Otherwise, it may have been up by even more. The economy hitting on all cylinders and unemployment being so low is helping, but still. That means there's a ton of interest. Yet ratings were down. That's telling you something too. The show they are putting on sucks.
Couldn't have said it better Class.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #59
Denny
Veteran

Didn't watch the broadcast, was at the OTB.

Can tell you this, there was a steady stream of customers all day long with as many women as men!

If this sport could only market itself this well the rest of the year, it would be booming.

(And no one coming in to bet cared about takeout either.)
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #60
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

I mean, we get it, a lot of women get dolled up and wear fancy hats for the Derby. But this is a sport about horses and gambling. 98% of the broadcast should be interviews and profiles of the owners, trainers, jockeys, handicappers, track officials, replays of the prior races on the card, replays of Derby horses' prior races, and then throw in 2% for a few celebrities and their picks. If I have to see one more minute of some stupid outfit or hear one more explanation of why "yellow" is the "in color" this year I'm going to stop watching the broadcast altogether and sit at my computer and just watch the track feed. No one I know gives a crap about the fashion. They care about the sport, the participants, and winning a bet.

I'm convinced that the new withholding rules are helping handle everywhere from my own experience this year. Next year the refunds won't be coming in for most so I expect a dull first quarter next year.

The economy is good and that's helping handle too.