Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #181
Maximillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566
Never have played superfecta but was told always look for chaos races makes sense??.

Mac
I cant speak for thaskalos but i think his very point in his previous post was he was probably avoiding these type of races(chaos by his style of handicapping)
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #182
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
I cant speak for thaskalos but i think his very point in his previous post was he was probably avoiding these type of races(chaos by his style of handicapping)
Well in superfecta you need large payouts if you box.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #183
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
If I have too many questions about the abilities of the horses in the race...or, if I find myself in the position of having to "read" the trainer's mind about things...then I PASS the race -- and keep the money in my pocket.

WE HAVE MANY, MANY RACES AVAILABLE TO US EVERY DAY!

THERE IS NO REASON FOR US TO BET ON ANY RACE THAT WE DON'T HAVE ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE IN!

Why even consider betting on a race where there is insufficient printed information with which to form an intelligent opinion?

We can bet only on the races that we have complete confidence in...and still have all the action that we can handle.
In other words...since you don't have to ante, you can sit and wait for the nuts.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #184
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If you post it, the nuts will come!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #185
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
In other words...since you don't have to ante, you can sit and wait for the nuts.
IMO...the biggest benefit offered to the player by the current full-card simulcasting format of wagering is NOT that the diligent player can come up with 30+ "sound" bets a day.

It's the fact that he can come up with 5-10 "great" bets a day...if he is willing to work hard enough.

We seem to have forgotten that there was a time in the not too distant past when 2 serious bets in a day's play was considered a "busy" day for the profit-minded player.

All the skill in the world is not enough to compensate for the serious flaw of betting too many races...or playing too many hands at the poker table.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #186
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
IMO...the biggest benefit offered to the player by the current full-card simulcasting format of wagering is NOT that the diligent player can come up with 30+ "sound" bets a day.

It's the fact that he can come up with 5-10 "great" bets a day...if he is willing to work hard enough.

We seem to have forgotten that there was a time in the not too distant past when 2 serious bets in a day's play was considered a "busy" day for the profit-minded player.

All the skill in the world is not enough to compensate for the serious flaw of betting too many races...or playing too many hands at the poker table.
In the era of simulcasting, I think this is a fascinating and important topic. In fact two "name" people that I have great respect for, Michael Pizzolla and Dave Schwartz advocate very different strategies regarding betting in today's environment.

Both advocate multi-track wagering with Dave S. betting (dutching) all races except those with many FTS and very short fields. On the other hand, Pizzolla scours the available tracks for 3-5 races total involving overlays that he keys and plays to win and in exotics. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum!

I am interested in hearing how thaskalos and other successful players approach wagering in today's environment.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 07-12-2012 at 04:14 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #187
Dave Schwartz

I like my way better. <G>
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #188
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
In the era of simulcasting, I think this is a fascinating and important topic. In fact two "name" people that I have great respect for, Michael Pizzolla and Dave Schwartz advocate very different strategies regarding betting in today's environment.

Both advocate multi-track wagering with Dave S. betting (dutching) all races except those with many FTS and very short fields. On the other hand, Pizzolla scours the available tracks for 3-5 races total involving overlays that he keys and plays to win and in exotics. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum!

I am interested in hearing how thaskalos and other successful players approach wagering in today's environment.

Jim
Personally, in my superfecta play, I wait until I find a race that has past data for all horses (I don't play 2 yo races at all), and when my minimum estimated payout for that race is at least approximately $300 for a $1 ticket ($30 for a dime ticket, etc.) I'll usually play the race. I find that the smaller payouts produce enough profit to build the bankroll, allowing me to buy a larger ticket in races where the minimum expected payout is much larger than $300 for $1 ticket. The larger payouts produce a generous long term profit. So, the smaller ones keep me in the game while the profit comes from the larger ones.

I usually play no more than 2 tracks per day, 3-4 days per week, and take frequent breaks from the game.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 07-12-2012 at 09:39 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply