Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Capper Al

Racing communities

One of the imagined things that I figure I'm missing is being part of a racing community. What I imagine is once a player coughs up $200 or more dollars to buy the software and $80 or more a month for the data, they become part of a hunting group-- out to help each other make their purchase work. They seek out tracks that are working with their software and angles they can use. This exchange within a community could be a very interesting botherhood of sorts. Is this reality?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Botherhood is right
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Solid_Gold
Veteran

Well Capper Al, seems you're between a rock and a hard place on this one. Once you spend the money, customer service probably goes out the window?
IMO, you're on your own Al. Let the buyer beware kinda thing. Just my .02
Solid_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
thaskalos

I also have never been part of a "racing community" -- other than our own community here at PA -- so I can't speak about the advantages of working together as a team during the handicapping process...but I can see where it might present a problem to the serious-minded player.

Handicapping as a team might be more "fun", but the social aspect of it often works contrary to what we are really trying to accomplish in this game...which is to become more proficient players.

I see your new signature line, Al...and I agree with it...but I submit that horse racing is already fun -- otherwise, why would we continue playing it...even though about 98% of us are losers in the endeavor?

Would horseplayers dedicate almost all their free time to this game, if it wasn't fun?

While having fun is important, it is more important to make progress towards our ultimate goals in this game...and this might mean putting the "fun" aside, and getting a little more serious about the task at hand.

I am reminded of what Tom Ainslie wrote over 40 years ago, and I think it applies even more now...in the hectic gambling environment created by full-card simulcasting:

"Winning horseplaying is a solitary activity; the more social it gets...the less profitable it becomes."

IMO, the horseplayer who walks alone has the advantage in this game...assuming that having "fun" is not the main objective.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Solid_Gold
Veteran

Yep Thaskalos, Ainslie was/is da man! I see you quote him often.
There is no team in I and the #1 reason I passed on PA contest this year!
Solid_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Gold
Yep Thaskalos, Ainslie was/is da man! I see you quote him often.
I only steal from the best.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Ted Craven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
One of the imagined things that I figure I'm missing is being part of a racing community. What I imagine is once a player coughs up $200 or more dollars to buy the software and $80 or more a month for the data, they become part of a hunting group-- out to help each other make their purchase work. They seek out tracks that are working with their software and angles they can use. This exchange within a community could be a very interesting brotherhood of sorts. Is this reality?
Yes, it is.

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Our Skype group has about 40 members, of which maybe 15-20 are active daily.

IMHO, that is how it should work.

It is especially powerful in real time.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
jdhanover

As Dave said we have a community of HSH users. We share ideas (and joke around) as well as help each other with software questions.

Recognize this is not the same as a partnership where people work together on a specific set of things. The ideas are a little more general than specific but can benefit everyone. And Dave provides a number of ideas (sometimes even he gets one from us!)

A couple of folks are truly working together but most are not. Yet it is a nice little community. Two of the guys you met at Arlington are friends I made via this community.
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
One of the imagined things that I figure I'm missing is being part of a racing community. What I imagine is once a player coughs up $200 or more dollars to buy the software and $80 or more a month for the data, they become part of a hunting group-- out to help each other make their purchase work. They seek out tracks that are working with their software and angles they can use. This exchange within a community could be a very interesting botherhood of sorts. Is this reality?
Good idea, although in my book the software should be open source. As a professional developer I have not spent a penny for software at least since 2008 and I am really turned off of any kind of proprietary solution...
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Good idea, although in my book the software should be open source. As a professional developer I have not spent a penny for software at least since 2008 and I am really turned off of any kind of proprietary solution...
I don't understand this mindset. Should this apply to books as well? How about movies?

Should everything in the world be free?

I don't understand the mindset that thinks it's somehow taboo or evil to charge for software, or that software can't be worth enough to pay for.

Please explain.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
DeltaLover

Please take a look and we can continue the conversation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSZZraHN0Yg

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-s...the-point.html

https://github.com/
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You're trying to school me on open source?

People write and give away eBooks all the time, but does that make books for sale any less worthy?

I know all about open source, so if you wouldn't mind, please your mindset. And by the way, I'm not trying to pick on you, I just don't understand why someone would be so against paying for quality software.

For example, I could run linux on my PC for free, but I chose to pay for Windows. I'm sure you'll tell me everything that is wrong with Windows and Microsoft, but as a practical man, I want an operating system that is actually going to function with the software I want to use on my box.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You're trying to school me on open source?

People write and give away eBooks all the time, but does that make books for sale any less worthy?

I know all about open source, so if you wouldn't mind, please your mindset. And by the way, I'm not trying to pick on you, I just don't understand why someone would be so against paying for quality software.

For example, I could run linux on my PC for free, but I chose to pay for Windows. I'm sure you'll tell me everything that is wrong with Windows and Microsoft, but as a practical man, I want an operating system that is actually going to function with the software I want to use on my box.
Sure, it is your business if you want to pay for windows, office SQLServer or whatever other proprietary software.

My opinion though is that the best software is open to the community, follows standards and is free to use.

Based in what you consider windows (for example) to be 'quality software' ? For me it clearly inferior than LINUX. Same applies for every other MS technology including SQLServer, ASP.NET, COM/DOM, notepad or anything other similar...

The only think MS seems to have done correctly is C# and even this will be diminished in the new version of Windows 8 which will favor HTML5 and CSS3 versus Silverlight and WPF..

M$ products have absolutely no advantage over their OS counterparts... I can assure you about that...

Last edited by DeltaLover; 07-04-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The fact remains that Windows is the most used operating system and thus has the most software available for it...there's something to be said for innovation. They were one of the first, and to the victor goes the huge catalog of software.

If I can't run what I need to run, why would I get rid of what I've been using just to migrate to LINUX?

I know, I know, you'll tell me all these wonderful open source programs that will do exactly what I'm doing now on Windows.

Open Office? Can't run a spreadsheet with macros I need to run...only Excel will do that...

Maybe Open Office has improved since I last looked.